Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I do Collision work for a living and replaced quite a few roof skins. Your's was definitely replaced at one time, probably when newer back before carfax was big if it has a clean title. A lot didn't get reported if it was an rent a car. I've put cars back on the road that shouldn't of been with clean titles. Look around towards the back of the skin and pull the weather stripping back and look for spot welds to know for sure. I've never seen a factory roof skin painted like that in 25+ years I've been doing this
Thanks for your input. This vehicles witnesses my first foray into any interior/body work of any sort.

I got a quote from a body shop for $6900 to fix this issue, including replacing the roof.

· Registered
2000 tundra 4.7 4x4. Not much stock on it besides the engine
42 Posts
I made it by 3 body shops today.
#1 said they could make an appt for me for wed morning.
#2 went and got his lead tech/manager. He explained that he wouldn't repair it unless they also changed the roof. He suggested that one might think you could press it into place, but he questions the structural integrity of that. He would get me the relevant quote tomorrow morning.
#3 said it didn't seem like something he could do, but "let's take a look at it". He said the proper way to do it would require a roof replacement, but that would be about $3k-$4k or more, and his shop isn't set up to handle that. "For my money", he said he'd press it into place, bringing us back to the suggestion of silversasquatch. He mentioned that the adhesive used between the support and roof is "foam adhesive", which he expects that I could pick up at an auto parts store.

So I think I'll try to clean the residual adhesive off, maybe use an angle grinder with wire wheel, then press it, heat it, cool, relax it, press it, heat it, cool, relax a tiny bit, apply adhesive, press again, and leave it pressed for a (few) hour(s).
Then repeat with the other ones. I have 2 bottle jacks, so maybe I can find another piece of pipe to get another one going.

Side note, I took this waiting period as an opportunity to apply sound damping material and replace the interior lights with LEDs. Here's a pic, because everyone loves pics.
View attachment 164992
Go to an auto paint store if you have one and get a tube of 3m panel bonding. It's what the factory uses. Mid 2000s Ford trucks had 4 spot welds on the roof the rest was glue and it sucked trying to get it separated

· Registered
2000 tundra 4.7 4x4. Not much stock on it besides the engine
42 Posts
Go to an auto paint store if you have one and get a tube of 3m panel bonding. It's what the factory uses. Mid 2000s Ford trucks had 4 spot welds on the roof the rest was glue and it sucked trying to get it separated
That's expensive to me. It's definitely a lot of work but it's not hard especially when you already have it gutted and the right tools. If you're mechanically inclined and know how to weld you can do it. Just drill out spot welds then make new spot welds on a new skin

21 - 33 of 33 Posts