Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys asked me to do a writeup so here it is.

Ok a while back my 2002 tundra AC V8 2x4 transmission bit the dust. When I called around prices for the 00-02 were over 1000.00 for one with 70-100k miles. So I checked and found an 04 with 18k miles for 750.00 much better pricing.

Ok first things first.

1.Drain the transmission fluid out of the pan by removing the drain bolt.

2.Remove front skid plate.

3.Remove the driveshaft bolts from the rear end and from the center bearing where it
bolts to the frame. Slide the driveshaft out of the tailshaft and set it aside.

4.Remove the torque converter access plate on the transmission.

5.Remove all 6 flex plate to torque converter bolts by turning the crankshaft with a
socket to rotate the flexplate around so you can find all 6 bolts.

6.Unclip all 6 of the transmission sensors from the wiring harness and unclip the oxygen
sensors. Unclip the oxygen sensor wires from the crossmember.

7.Remove the lines from the radiator(transmission cooler if you have one) as they enter
the transmission

8.Now remove the 4 bolts from the transmission mount to transmission.

9. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the crossmember in the car and remove it.

10.Remove the shield over the shift linkage and unbolt the shift linkage bracket and unclip
the cotter key(not sure if thats the real name for the clip or not) from the linkage
where it attaches to the transmission

11.Remove the 4 14mm bolts around the bottom of the transmission that bolt to the
engine.

12.Remove the last 6 17mm bolts holding the transmission in the truck around the top of
the transmission.

13.Carefully lower the transmission out of the truck.

14.Now we need to swap the tailshaft from the 02 to the 04 transmission.

15.Remove the 6 bolts that hold the tailshaft on.

16.Remove tailshaft housing slowly so you dont lose the little fluid pipe and rubber
grommet inside it.

17.Remove the 04 transmission tailshaft housing as well.

18.Clean up the 04 transmission gasket area and the 02 tailshaft housing to prepare for a
new gasket.

19.Install the 02 tailshaft housing on the 04 transmission using a new gasket.

20. Flush old lines and the transmission cooler with toyota type T-IV transmission fluid or
the equivelant thereof.
Now would be a great time to put an inline filter or an additional auxiliary transmission
cooler on the truck.

21. Install transmission in reverse order of removal.

22.Top off fluid.

Any other questions just let me know.

·
Supporting Creeper
114 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the write up....We will see what happens after this full flush. Seems like everyone claims you will have a dead tranny on your hands if you flush after you have hit 100K if its never been done. I can't say if it has or hasn't because it was bought used but I own it now, fluid is still red with a slight brown tint to it, don't smell much of a burnt smell so, like I said we will see after tomorrow when its all said and done and I'm driving on it again.

Again thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem if you guys need any more information Ill be happy to help. And if you guys find this useful maybe they can make it a sticky. If you guys find it useful a rep point would be nice too lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is a little confusing. In one spot you say remove tail shaft and the other is the housing. Are you removing the actual shaft that slides into the rear drive shaft or just the housing? The main rear shaft slides into the rear Planetary which would involve opening up the whole transmission. On the back of the 00-02 Trans there is a speedo gear and a collar. Are these swapped?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Damn, you got raped. I just sold my perfect 03 2WD trans w/130K for $150 on Craigslist. Paid $250 for an 04 4WD trans w/91K.

Also, like racerboy said, why/how do you swap the tail shaft without opening up the transmission? I converted an A341 to 4WD, and to remove the 2WD output shaft, I had to remove the valve body and the OD and 2/3 planetary assemblies to access the snap ring that secures it to the 1/2 planetaries in the rear of the transmission housing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sure wish Ctateusa would chime in. The people that have posted about the swap make it sound easy and I'm sure it is if you only have to change the housing and not the actual shaft. I want to go and order a used 03 2wd tranny but would like to know for sure what's involved.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Racer I had been pretty busy back then I finally logged back into here just now and thought I would post back to you even though you had probably already figured this out. The tailshaft housing itself and the output shaft inside the housing have to be swapped the 03+ transmission has different sensors but the output shaft is different as well.(If I remember correctly) I know you do not have to drop the pan to do this just remove the tailshaft housing and swap them. I dont remember what it looks like in there anymore as I nolonger have my 02 model I totalled it out in december so I couldnt even look at it anymore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
dont forget that to add stops to the front and back wheels, Once that driveshaft is off if you have a little bit of incline the truck can roll. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry Racer I had been pretty busy back then I finally logged back into here just now and thought I would post back to you even though you had probably already figured this out. The tailshaft housing itself and the output shaft inside the housing have to be swapped the 03+ transmission has different sensors but the output shaft is different as well.(If I remember correctly) I know you do not have to drop the pan to do this just remove the tailshaft housing and swap them. I dont remember what it looks like in there anymore as I nolonger have my 02 model I totalled it out in december so I couldnt even look at it anymore.
So you actually had to switch shafts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts