Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 02 Tundra since October 2010. Since then, I have had both the passenger and drivers side calipers fail twice on me. First the passenger side in July 2011, then the drivers in December 2011, then the passenger side again in September 2012, and now my drivers side is not working again. When I had my passenger side replaced last they replaced the brake line saying that when they get old that sometimes pieces will come loose inside and act like a check valve and not let the fluid back out. I need to have the work done on my drivers side still but if what they told me the first time was true then I would like them to do the same thing to the drivers side this time. I know there have been problems with undersized calipers on my model but it seems like they cause rotor warping not caliper failures, but I am unsure whether I have the original or updated calipers at the current moment. Any suggestions as to why my calipers keep crapping out every 14 months or so? I had them completely bleed the brake system last time I had it in too in case the fluid was contaminated but I haven't had issues with the rear brakes outside of putting on new shoes, having the drums turned, and replacing the bell crank in December 2011 to pass safety inspections in my new state of residence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see that thread, but it sounded like that issue dealt with warping rotors which I do not seem to be having an issue with as every time the calipers are replaced they have not had to turn the rotors or put new pads on and the problem is gone for 14 months until the caliper decides to stop working again?

·
941 Posts
I have owned my 02 Tundra since October 2010. Since then, I have had both the passenger and drivers side calipers fail twice on me. First the passenger side in July 2011, then the drivers in December 2011, then the passenger side again in September 2012, and now my drivers side is not working again. When I had my passenger side replaced last they replaced the brake line saying that when they get old that sometimes pieces will come loose inside and act like a check valve and not let the fluid back out. I need to have the work done on my drivers side still but if what they told me the first time was true then I would like them to do the same thing to the drivers side this time. I know there have been problems with undersized calipers on my model but it seems like they cause rotor warping not caliper failures, but I am unsure whether I have the original or updated calipers at the current moment. Any suggestions as to why my calipers keep crapping out every 14 months or so? I had them completely bleed the brake system last time I had it in too in case the fluid was contaminated but I haven't had issues with the rear brakes outside of putting on new shoes, having the drums turned, and replacing the bell crank in December 2011 to pass safety inspections in my new state of residence.
That is true. I've had some in my shop with deteriorated brake lines that when brake pressure is applied it will squeeze the caliper, yet not let the fluid back and keep pressure on the caliper. Heat then from the caliper not being fully released can ruin pads, calipers and rotors.

When you install new calipers I highly recommend flushing the brake fluid. It does become contaminated and will contribute to premature caliper failure due to moisture in the fluid.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm on my third set of calipers. These are the upgraded ones, since I hoped that would help my seized calipers/warped rotors. Nope. I noticed that my driver's side rotor was rusty on all but a 3" strip in the middle of the contact patch. Turns out one of the pistons seems to be stuck in the fully retracted position. Getting very tired of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About 10,000 miles after I bought my 02 new in Sept. 2001 the service manager at the dealer where I purchased mine told me to work the brakes real hard in a "panic stop" type situation to test the front brakes. I did feel a light chatter which was not the usual ABS kicking in. I told the service manager and he said to bring it in. They rebuilt most of the front end which also replaced my rotors and calipers with larger ones on a "as required" TSB which had just come out. The extra surface area was a world of difference. My point is to strongly consider changing to the larger upgraded ones if you are having repeated issues with yours if you are going to keep your truck for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts