Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering seems to be heating up very quickly, and then slowly overflows from the top of the reservoir. The pump is pumping, but the fluid smells burnt as well. I replaced the rack, pump and reservoir about 2 years ago, when the same thing happened, but my girlfriend continued to drive it until the reservoir melted and destroyed everything. Is it simply the pump going bad?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went through hell trying to diagnose my PS pump always going bad.... I would replace it, it would be fine, then a few weeks later it would do the same thing you are mentioning... So we kept replacing the pump. I was about to start replacing the rack and all that, but it ended up being something very simple. The bigger line that goes from the reservoir to the pump was 'incorrect'. I know what your thinking, it's just a rubber hose, how could it be incorrect? Well the stock hose has a few bends built into it, and if you replace it with straight hose from a shop it will actually slightly kink up. It was barely noticeable too, I could only figure it out by playing with the hose while it was running and all my spewing and noises stopped. So just a thought, before you go replacing more things, check the hose.... When it's running, squeeze the bends in it and see if your problems disappear... If that's it, go get an OEM hose with the correct bends. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts