Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked and thrown around a bit, as I've been searching for a week now about this...but I have only found one person, nhdubfan, who has actually done it...

my transmission in my sweet girl annabelle, 01 v8 ext. cab 4wd black 2.5" 285s 130k miles across country a million times, tundra is done...of course its the OD gears...of course...

I've found some used trans on ebay from some big guys up north in michigan, 03s and 04s with under 50k miles on them otd for 750 with a year warranty...also found a local guy with the same thing for 1g...

first of all, can the swap actually be done? people say no people say yes...can we answer this once and for all...i need the truth people...

Thank you so much in advance...

option b: i've found 2 people in "other" forums who say that after *****ing at toyota for days that they've comped or at least helped them out with a refurb swap...any success stories??

·
Registered
156 Posts
The myth is confirmed. Buy with confidence. Do you think some random person on the internet that you don't know would lead you astray.

All kidding aside, I have personally put a 2004 4X4 tranny in my 2000 4X4 Tundra. There were absolutely no modifications required and everything bolted up/plugged in. It has been working trouble free for several months and several thousand miles.

I have read on this site that the 2003-04 2WD versions will also work on a 2000-02 2WD Tundra but require that the tailshaft is swapped.

There are others on the site that have also made the swap to a newer model year transmission without issue.

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B-E-A-UTIFUL....i guess that answers my question...THANKS!

did you get your used trans from a junkyard or where? what do you think about this one...Transmission 4.7L,AT,43K: eBay Motors (item 290448547838 end time Jul-25-10 08:26:34 PDT) to them today and they said 750 otd with shipping and a 1-year warranty included...or should I go with this local guy who has a 04, with 50k for $1000, not sure on the warranty...

did you install it yourself or have dealer/trans specialty do it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I purchased mine off ebay. It was a similar deal. 2004 4X4 with around 45K. I think the breakdown was $600 for the tranny and $100 for shipping. It was delivered to my house on a straight truck with a lift gate so no dock access was required. The tranny was strapped to a small pallet with all the fittings plugged and appeared to be in very good shape with a one year warranty.

I put it in myself with the assistance of a friend. It was an all day event for me with a helper and air tools. I did not drop the exhaust although it would have given me more room. Many who have dropped the exhaust end up breaking the studs where the exhaust pipes bolt to the manifold so use some heat if you go that route.

Make sure to flush your cooling lines since they may be contaminated with metal and pick up a new filter screen and plenty (10 quarts plus) of compatible fluid. The 03-04 uses a different fluid type.

Or, if you don't have time, find a shop that will swap it. I have heard prices on the swap from $200 to $400. I guess it depends where you live.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts