Toyota Tundra Forums banner

'03 power seat wiring issue.

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  azsandman 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got some power seats from a '02 tundra from wrecking yard ($250). Cleaned them up and bolted them right in. Since the wiring harness was factory installed I figured this should be "plug N Play" right!! Well, the wiring harness connected with no issues. But the seats are not moving..

1) I see no fuses that indicate power seats on fuse box diagram or in Chiltons manual.
2) is it possible the wiring harness is not even hooked up to power? And where would I find that location?
3) If something to do with a heating element wiring. Its not a concern; I live in AZ!

any advise out there? Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
The second, smaller connector is for the seat belt sensor.....

A few questions...
1. Did you already check to confirm that you have 12V power at the larger connector? If memory serves me correctly, there should be either 4 or 6 wires in that plug, depending on whether on not your model had a heated driver seat option. If your model had a power seat option, the Pos / Neg power seat wires are in that connector from the factory, and will be energized with the ignition off.
2. Did the seats come out of a truck that had the memory seat option? I know this was available on the Sequoia, but I'm not sure of the Tundra. If so, the switch assembly, and pin outs on the connector are different than the non-memory power seats.
3. Did you try putting 12V to the seat while on a workbench, to confirm that all of the motors work?

When I did the swap on my 06DC, I pulled a set of gray leather captain's chairs from an '06 Sequoia. The wiring for driver and passenger seat heater was already in the harness, so it was a simple plug and play matter for me. All I needed to install were the two switches in the console, and the relay behind the fuse block.

Now, I did have the memory vs. non-memory seat problem to deal with, but that was easy too. I picked up a seat switch assembly off of eBay, then used electrical schematics for the two different seat versions, and reconfigured the terminals in the connector to match the non-memory switch. All of the motors are the same, but the wire colors are different. That's not a big deal to me though....

Completely re-configuring the connector, and installing the non-memory switch took about 15 minutes. Really easy job....the only challenging part was making a simple "color conversion table", so I could keep straight which color went to which position.

PM me your contact info if you'd like to talk about it more....I can give you a call.

#4 ·
1. Did you already check to confirm that you have 12V power at the larger connector? If memory serves me correctly, there should be either 4 or 6 wires in that plug, depending on whether on not your model had a heated driver seat option. If your model had a power seat option, the Pos / Neg power seat wires are in that connector from the factory, and will be energized with the ignition off. I did not confirm power to the connector on floor board. that is next. (it is a 4 plug; 2 for SRS an 2 PWR/GND). i don't believe a heating element is involved in this power seat. there was no switches on dash to control this.
2. Did the seats come out of a truck that had the memory seat option? I know this was available on the Sequoia, but I'm not sure of the Tundra. If so, the switch assembly, and pin outs on the connector are different than the non-memory power seats. I went back to the yard and confirmed the 4 plug was a match and NO other harnesses were connected. i do not believe memory option is on this seat.
3. Did you try putting 12V to the seat while on a workbench, to confirm that all of the motors work? I will do this before lugging this back in to the cab again. Any idea on a 12v source to do this with??

Thanks for your input rc! My next task is to get a accurate seat schematic (ain't **** in the haynes manual) and confirm power to the harness and bench test the power seat. stay tuned.

added 3 pics.
pic 1) 4 pt male end on power seat.
pic 2) 4 pt harness on floorboard.
pic 3) 2 pt male end on existing manual seat.

Attachments

#5 ·
OK. update for anyone who might have the same issue moving forward. i was unable to trace the wiring from the floorboard to wiring harness (lots of wires L. side of dash). So i went back to wrecking yard and clipped a seat wiring harness. I attached that to the seat connector and spliced in to the 50amp power source (below the cigarette lighter).
Essentially i bypassed existing wiring and connected to a new wire. Its only hot when key is on accessory which is fine with me. Hope this may help someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.