Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Pioneer AVH-X3500 head unit in my 2003 Sequoia. I have a couple questions if anyone can assist.

Rear Camera: Where did you guys install your rear camera? I found a couple posts but they were old and the pictures were no longer posted. Running the cable is no problem, just curious on the outside placement.

Microphone for Bluetooth: Where did you place the aftermarket microphone? I see that you can buy an OEM Toyota microphone for the Sequoia. Where was the factory location? I would like to mount the mic somewhere OEM-like if possible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update for those interested. Mounted the mic that came with the Pioneer in the top left hand corner of the windshield. My wife helped me find the best spot (Left, middle, right by console) and the left wins out. Cane barely see it, and the A pillar trim is easy to remove and run the wire.

Still interested in the rear camera mount. I have an SR5, not a Limited so I do not have a spoiler to hide the camera under. Anyone know if they make a replacement license plate light that integrates the camera?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh still no help...

I went ahead and took a chance. I took some measurements and found this to be as close as I am going to get: CMOS NTSC Car Rear View Backup Reverse Camera for Buick Lacrosse Cadillac SRX Ct | eBay In fact it seems to be 1mm shorter in width and height, which should work fine.

It does not have holes to fit the mounting pattern for the Sequoias reverse light, but that is no problem. I will keep this updated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally someone posts! Was beginning to think I was running a personal blog or something ;)

Camera is still en route from China. Unfortunately I have work and personal trips for the next 2 weeks, so unsure of the progress I can make. Will update when I can.

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
270 Posts
Finally someone posts! Was beginning to think I was running a personal blog or something ;)

Camera is still en route from China. Unfortunately I have work and personal trips for the next 2 weeks, so unsure of the progress I can make. Will update when I can.
Hey I am here watching too! :D
Sometimes this forum is a deadzone! :sleep:
I've been considering a new stereo, maybe not so fancy like yours but one that just works (my JBL CD player is broken), has a USB port for a flash drive and works with the factory amp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I am here watching too! :D
Sometimes this forum is a deadzone! :sleep:
I've been considering a new stereo, maybe not so fancy like yours but one that just works (my JBL CD player is broken), has a USB port for a flash drive and works with the factory amp.
Only reason I went with this one is because originally I was going to add iPod interface and a rear camera to my truck. Rear camera (In rear view mirror) would run me about $200, and iPod interface about $150. So $350 to retain a stock stereo. I started looking around and pieced together everything I needed for $362. This includes: Head unit, factory integration harness (Retains JBL amp), harness for steering wheel controls, steering wheel control interface, backup camera, USB female cable, and ebrake override. So for $12 more I got A TON more functionality.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I installed mine on the license plate plastic housing next to the license plate lights. I removed the whole plastic housing but I didn't have to. I ran the cable through the opening by the license plate lights and tapped into the reverse lights for poser and ground. The most difficult part was running the video wire from the tailgate to the head console.

Below is a picture of the rear of the truck. I don't know if you will be able to see the camera. I wish I had gone with a different one but it does what I want it to do and it was only $15.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Watching this thread too. I have a Kenwood Nav but essentially the same deal. Backup cam is on my wish list. I'm contemplating the factory camera (Kenwood) so there won't be any compatibility issues with the backup assist grid lines, but ultimately, would be open to a cheap solution too. Keep us updated with your progress and how you install it. I might follow suit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry guys, been traveling for work and with family. Unfortunately the camera was not as wide as they advertised so I will not be able to simply drill holes and mount. Next plan is to either retrofit the camera into the stock lens, or make my own adapter plate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts