Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am not a technically minded stereo guy. A bit of an idiot when it comes to wiring if I'm honest.

I have a 03 Sequoia with the JBL 10 speaker system, and a stock hu. the driver's side fronts are not working properly. When I fade and balance everything to them, I can only hear the woofer working, which doesn't sound blown btw. There is no sound coming out of the top tweeter; hard to say if anything is coming out of the mid next to the woofer, but I'm thinking not. The passenger side all sounds correct.

This sounds like a wiring issue to me, but a search just confused me more, with most people looking to replace or modify. I wish to keep all the factory stuff, but get it working properly. Where to check first to diagnose this? As I understand it, the crossover is in the amp unit, So should I check those connections first? Or should I pull the door panel first (how do I take the little tweeter surround up by the window off?)

This is my first post here, and I'm loving my Sequoia so far, but need to get my tunes sorted out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2007 with buzzing speakers which is why I am here :). Before getting two technical, I'd go get me a cheap speaker set. Plug it in to the driver's side door and see if you hear anything. If you do, the old speakers are gone, or there was a connection issue at the speaker. If you don't then likely something between it and the amp. I'd check the connections at the amp. Remember, those speakers are 15 years old.

I happen to be an EE, so I know all things electrical. Which is why I have the nickname Sparky. Yeah, no, I don't know all things electrical, but you might shop around for an audio shop that can give you an assessment. These guys do this stuff in their sleep, and I'm sure they've seen it all. I'd have no hesitation investing $50/100 bucks to get a sanity check, they might even do it for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
cgilley
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing