Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody out there has any experience or advice in towing a 23' hybrid trailer. Specifically a 2002 Starcraft Travelstrar 23RBS. I think the dry weight is about 3500#.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Wondering if anybody out there has any experience or advice in towing a 23' hybrid trailer. Specifically a 2002 Starcraft Travelstrar 23RBS. I think the dry weight is about 3500#.
I towed a 23' house trailer with my 02 sequoia & it did a better job than my 02 tundra. Both had CAI's & flowmaster exhaust.
The reason it handled it better (power & handling) was the fact it is heavier than the tundra & it has 4.10 rear end gears (tundra-3.90).

Of course, make sure you have a good equilizer hitch & it's adjusted properly. Oh, and trailer brakes.

Dry weight was 3900 lbs. w/ 390lbs tongue weight (dry).

Hope that helps, need any other info just pm me.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Your Sequoia should have no problems with that HTT. It does indeed have a dry weight just under 3500 lbs, but, more importantly, it has a GVWR of 5,000 lbs. Watch out how much you put in the Sequoia and you should be fine on weight.

Make sure you have a good brake controller and weight distribution hitch to go with it and you will be one happy camper.

Tom

·
Registered
198 Posts
We tow a 32' Antigua with our Sequoia. Power isn't any problem at all. Handling is excellent, with the use of a Hensley Arrow hitch. We run the rear tires at maximum PSI of 44 on the rear, and 40 on the front.

Last week I added a set of Air Lift 1000 air bags to tighten up the back end. I haven't towed with this mod yet, but I can tell you that it rides a lot tighter with 20 PSI in the air bags. The reason I made this mod is because these SUVs are designed to ride like a car, meaning the rear end can be a bit squishy under load.

My web site can give you more info about towing with the Sequoia. :)

IMHO you will have no problem towing the 23 footer with your Sequoia.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
We tow a 32' Antigua with our Sequoia. Power isn't any problem at all. Handling is excellent, with the use of a Hensley Arrow hitch. We run the rear tires at maximum PSI of 44 on the rear, and 40 on the front.

Last week I added a set of Air Lift 1000 air bags to tighten up the back end. I haven't towed with this mod yet, but I can tell you that it rides a lot tighter with 20 PSI in the air bags. The reason I made this mod is because these SUVs are designed to ride like a car, meaning the rear end can be a bit squishy under load.

My web site can give you more info about towing with the Sequoia. :)

IMHO you will have no problem towing the 23 footer with your Sequoia.
About the only thing i would recomend with your sequoia is: Get rid of those 4-ply tires & get some 6 or 8 ply's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts