Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used '03 Highlander V6 a couple months ago. it looks to me like it has a factory Toyota hitch. How do I know whether or not it has the tow pkg?

My outboard boat is under 2,000 lbs w/trailer and I don't tow very often with this vehicle so not so concerned about the load - just would like to know.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The only thing I can remember listed on the Tow Package that is easy to see would be the transmission oil cooler, a small, separate radiator in front of the main radiator with two lines or hoses running to the transmission. Without the Tow Package the lines or hoses would .look like they go into the main radiator.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Open the hatch and pull up the floor panel to expose the spare tire. To the Left of the tire you will see a light blue box, approx. 2" x 3" attached to the floor. That controls your wiring for the hitch. Also to the left of the hitch mount you should see a black plug with a cover over it to connect to the brake lights of whatever you are towing. If you have these, you have the factory tow package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Yes to the blue box with Toyota logo on it in next to the spare. Yes, looks like the transmission oil cooler is about 4 x 9" beneath the battery. (not in front of the radiator, but off to the side - takes in air from a opening in the front bumper under the driver's side fog light.

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bingo!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's nice to have. Anyone know off hand what the cost for the tow package is on the vehicle when new?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
It was cheap... $160 MSRP...$128 Invoice. (for 2006 pricing)
Towing Prep Package -- includes upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, 130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring; 4-cylinder models add: 3000-lb. towing capacity [6], engine oil cooler, power-steering oil cooler and 120-watt fan coupling; V6 models add 3500-lb. towing capacity [6] and 160-watt fan coupling.

That's all I remember. And Whether I was going to tow or not ...I feel it is nice cheap insurance in extreme hot weather driving. Plus yu get a higher amp alternator as a bonus!

It's a must have if yu ask m. When yu factor in parts and labor, to add all the items in this package at a later time would cost several thousand dollars if yu had to ask . Just cost prohibitive. Something yu have to get when yu order or just accept not having this option!

:) LT

·
Registered
2 Posts
The sticker from my 2003 has the Tow Prep Package and Converter listed at $160

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am posting, and hoping I will get a quick answer... Anyways, my dad is looking to tow a trailer with his 03 Highlander and well he has the "tow package" on the sticker, and there is a blue box in the trunk by the spare tire.

Now what I need to know is, if he gets a U-Haul trailer hitch in a few days, what else does he need?

EDIT: I took off some plastic cover on the bottom of the car, exposing a white, 4pin (4 wire) connector. What else do I need to tell him to buy? I keep finding posts indicating that the 04+ tow packages are different, and I really know nothing about towing or anything about his car really. I just help him out with it time to time...I am out of my element, help me out :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts