Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Double Cab w/JBL sys... can you replace head unit and still use JBL amp?

Anyone have any experience replacing the factory head unit in a 2004 Double Cab with JBL system & 8 speakers? I'm trying to put in my Pioneer XM-ready HU and XM receiver that I pulled out of my trade-in, but continue to use the JBL amp and speakers, which were a $460 upgrade on the sticker.

I'll spare the details finding a wiring harness to plug into the one that's left in the dash after you remove the factory HU. The Scosche TA03 will physically fit, with RCA jacks for preamp outputs etc., but how to make the amp do its thing? There's a blue/white wire on pin #3, which normally gives a +12v output from the aftermarket HU to turn on your amp, power antenna, etc., but pin #3 doesn't go anywhere in the '04 DC.

The DC has a blue wire on pin #5 and a light green wire on pin #15 which have no mating terminal in the Scosche harness, i.e. no output from the aftermarket HU. When running the factory equipment there is 2.5v on each. The EWD says they are TX+ and TX-. There's also a yellow wire on pin #7 for mute but I'm going to assume it's safe to ignore that one. So here's the question(s):

Are these TX+ and TX- required to make the amp do its thing? Any way to fake it with parts cobbled up at Radio Shack?

How to connect the RCA preamp outputs on the Pioneer which are for Front +/- and Rear +/- while the JBL amp is looking for Left +/- and Right +/-?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The JBL amp will ONLY work with the factory headunit. The amp is all digital the TX- TX+ is the computer communication circuit with in the vehicle. All the radio settings like volume, fade, balance, bass, trebile, etc are all processed and stored by the amp.

So in short the JBL amp can't live without the factory radio.

T-G

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-G:

Thanks for the straight answer... not exactly the one I wanted to hear, but now I can look at other options. Nobody else out there (Crutchfield, SoundDomain, Circuit City, etc.) has any application info for replacing the head unit, and now I understand why. I finally found the TA03 connector which fits, but no luck hooking it up, obviously. Time to uninstall the XM box from the back wall (would have needed Vaseline to get the plastic panel back on) and look at an XM add-on to the factory radio.

I appreciate your JBL experience, but let your marketing director know that my next new vehicle will be delivered with a big, gaping hole where the stereo should be. If I can't make a simple tweak like adding full-digital XM (no crappy FM modulation), I'll install the stereo system myself. No sense paying for an upgraded stereo if I have to tear the whole mess out. We engineers gotta be able to tweak stuff.

Any experience with the auxiliary input adapters (PIE, Blitzsafe) that are supposed to let you feed in the digital XM signal instead of using FM modulation? I'll post another thread to get that started.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I put a panasonic 7" indash on a 04 dc with the JBL all I know about it is that many places tried to install it with various harnesses and such the place that did it basically had to bypass the factory amp and rewire the whole truck all over they did a great job and it sounds great still but was kindof pricey but i dont regret it one bit need the dvd and tv.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You need to file your marketing complaint to Toyota, and I no longer work for JBL. I can knowing say that the JBL in the both the Tundra and Seq is poor.

I believe some manufactures are offering a aux port on the front of the head units, so all of us with extra audio gizmos and plug them in.

On a secondary note I know Toyota was working with sat radio companies to offer it as an upgrade on some cars and the Sienna. It is/was going to marketed as a dealer upgrade.
TG

·
Registered
859 Posts
I dont understand the gripe with the JBL headunit, I test drove a DCAB yesterday, and it sounded pretty decent for the average enthusiast, you can always make something better, but the JBL seems to do just fine IMO

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no gripes with JBL sound

I don't think the JBL sounds bad at all. I am by no means an audiophile; I just appreciate CD-quality sound over FM. My only complaint is that I can't replace the head unit with my XM-ready one which receives full-digital sound from the XM receiver, and continue to use the digital JBL amp. I paid for an upgrade to a JBL system with 8 speakers, but I either have to replace the head unit and amp together (and rewire the damn truck), or suck it up and use an XM add-on to the factory unit which uses FM-modulated sound. If I knew what I was up against, I would have gladly taken the meager analog amp and 6 speakers, which I believe are standard on the Double Cab. That way my Pioneer head unit could drive the amp, and I would have full-digital XM. Didn't mean to start a b!tch session here; just trying to make it work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiring schematic for 04 Tundra double cab

If anyone has the wiring schematic for an 04 double cab, I'd appreciate a copy of it. I'm looking to replace the head unit and bypass the amp - anyone know where it is located? It is a JBL system.

Any advice is grealy appreciated.

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
tundra-gearhead said:
The JBL amp will ONLY work with the factory headunit. The amp is all digital the TX- TX+ is the computer communication circuit with in the vehicle. All the radio settings like volume, fade, balance, bass, trebile, etc are all processed and stored by the amp.

So in short the JBL amp can't live without the factory radio.

T-G

GUYS!!! THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

Metra makes a kit to install an aftermarket head unit to work in conjunction with your factory JBL amp and speakers. I have one in my Sequoia with a Kenwood DDX-7015. It sounds LEAGUES better than the factory head unit.

The Metra part number is 70-8113. If you need anything further, please ask.

John

·
Registered
180 Posts
What year is your Sequoia? Plus the fact that the 04 DC uses a different amp system then current production Sequoia's. The 04+ DC and 05+ Sequoia will have digital JBL amps.

TG

·
Registered
15 Posts

tundra-gearhead said:
What year is your Sequoia? Plus the fact that the 04 DC uses a different amp system then current production Sequoia's. The 04+ DC and 05+ Sequoia will have digital JBL amps.

TG

My Sequoia is a 2001. Works great!

John

·
Registered
44 Posts
gitit1234 said:
If anyone has the wiring schematic for an 04 double cab, I'd appreciate a copy of it. I'm looking to replace the head unit and bypass the amp - anyone know where it is located? It is a JBL system.

Any advice is grealy appreciated.

Greg
I rewired my entire truck, added the Kenwood DDX7015, 2 amps, new 6 1/2 front and back door speakers, new tweets, and an 8" sub. I put the amps behind the back seats (removing the plastic thing back there) and ran the speaker wires to the kickpanels and tied in there. If you take your door panels off you can see the wire colors and find them when they come out of the door into the kick panel. I cut and connected right there but I suppose you could connect near the amp in the back if you really wanted to. I didn't find the amp until AFTER I ran all my wires so I left it the way it was. I also noticed that the wiring was not really straight forward (colors changed, etc) so I decided it was too much trouble and stoped looking before I found the amp. I took the panel off to mount the amps and there it was. :rolleyes:

Let me know if you need to know anything, I would be glad to save you any pain if I can.

-zboyblue

·
Registered
8 Posts
what speakers fit the doors?

zboyblue
You mentioned that you replaced your door speakers. Which speakers did you get? When I talked with Crutchfield about replacing my speakers, they said that they don't sell any speakers that fit the DC, because the DC's speaker locations were to shallow for standard aftermarked speakers. Also, what sub did you put where?
Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mohrstuff,

I used Polk MOMO speakers that I bought from HIFI Buys, they sound great. I didn't have any depth problems at all. I used the install rings that came with the MOMO's to install. Because the door hole is 7" the ring slid inside the hole but I found places to put screws and it all went together ok. On the back doors I built custom rings out of that thin wood stuff (can't call the name but it used to be on the backs of old console TV's). I just cut it big enough to have something to screw through and then cut my hole out for the speaker.

For the sub I bought a MOMO dual voice coil 8" sub. I traced my storage cover onto a piece of 1/2 MDF and cut it out. I cut the hole for the sub as close as I could towards the front of the storage compartment because of depth issues. I had to mount the sub from underneath because of the limited space between the cover and the bottom of the seat. Because of the depth problem in the hole I also had to remove the rubber speaker boot on the sub for it to fit. It was the closest install of anything I have ever seen EVER. I hooked it up to a new MOMO 150x2 amp (in bridged mode, coils in series = 4 ohm load (this is by memory, maybe off a little). I didn't even screw it down before testing, it sounded great! Just what I wanted. I have yet to put more than 2 screws in the sub and have not mounted or carpeted it yet, you can't see it so I haven't made time to do it yet. :)

Crutchfield has a lot of stuff and good documentation but they think NOTHING fits the double cab. I think they are more concerned with testing ford or chevy since that is what most boom boomers have. EVERYTHING I have installed in the DC shouldn't have fit according to them but it all went it fine (some with slight mods).

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

-zboyblue

·
Registered
8 Posts
which momo's did you get?

zboyblue
It seems like you are the only one that I see who's changed out speakers in a DC. Do you mind telling me the model #s of the speakers you got, so I can get the same things (or something that will match those specs). Did you have the deluxe JBL head unit, or just the plain Toyota head unit? When you replaced the front door speakers, did you get separates, or did you leave the tweeters and just change the bigger speakers? Also, what do you have driving the momo's in the doors (original head unit, after market head unit w/built in amp, or separate amp)? I have the SR5 DC, with standard head unit. I've replaced the head unit with a Pioneer Premier w/built in amp. Now I need some good speakers that I can relatively (minor modification) fit into the doors and storage compartment (sub). Also, did you put any Dynamat or equivalent stuff in the doors? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jurgen

·
Registered
44 Posts
mohrstuff said:
zboyblue
It seems like you are the only one that I see who's changed out speakers in a DC. Do you mind telling me the model #s of the speakers you got....... Jurgen
Jurgen,

I had the super duper system in the truck when I bought it but it didn't do justice for Elton's Piano SOOO I ripped it all out and started over. : ) I installed a Kenwood DDX7015 head unit (Double DIN widescreen in dash DVD player), Polk MOMO 4 channel Amp to power Polk MOMO 6 1/2 / Tweeter Components in the front doors and Polk MOMO 6 1/2 Coaxials in the rear, and a POLK 2 Channel Amp to power 2 8" Polk MOMO subs in the storage compartment (although I only have one installed right now and probably will leave it that way). I removed the plastic cover from behind the back seats and installed the amps there. The front 6 1/2's went in using the trim rings included with the speakers except there was space between the ring and the hole (because the original hole is bigger) but I didn't even worry about it. I had to cut rings for the back door and I used 1/4 board to make them. I didn't use any dynamat anywhere and it sounds awesome like it is. It would probably sound even better with it! For the sub I traced the storage cover onto 1/2 particle board and cut it out. I cut the hole for the sub and mounted it from underneath. It was a VERY tight fit and I had to try a few times to get it right. The sub was the hardest thing to do as far as getting it to fit and in ALL cases it seemed like the MOMO stuff was MADE for the truck (Barely fit in all cases). Overall I am very very happy with the install and wouldn't change anything.

You can buy all the Polk gear from Hifi Buys, that is where I got it all. If there is not one nearby or if you are not comfortable cutting the board for the sub or buying the sub let me know and I might could make you a board with the sub installed already and sell it to you.

I don't remember the model numbers on any of it right now but if you still need them after the info I gave let me know and I will dig out the boxes and let you know.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, I am glad to tell you anything I know.

-zboyblue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zboyblue
Thanks for the info!!
How did you remove the back plastic panel for the amps? Did the back window not interfere with the mounting of the amps? After you mounted the amps, were you able to put the plastic cover back on? Do you know if there would be enough room under the front seats to place the momo sub for the woofers? I was also wondering about the sub install in the storage compartment. Did you somehow seal the storage compartment? I think the storage compartment has holes in it on the exterior side walls. I would think that might make the woofers not sound to good? Can you tell a big difference when you are using the single 8” woofer with your unit, compared to not using the woofer? I would suspect that the 6 ½ “ door speakers would provide some base. The reason I ask that is, I tried a powerd 150w RMS 8” Bazooka tube, sitting on the middle hump on the floor in the back. While it helped, it did not make a huge difference like I hoped it would, so I sent it back. The setup you have sound awsome. I wish I could hear and see it.
Thanks again for all of your input.
Jurgen

·
Registered
44 Posts
mohrstuff,

See answers inline.

Thanks for the info!!
How did you remove the back plastic panel for the amps?

I just removed the screws in it and popped it off. Not too hard.

Did the back window not interfere with the mounting of the amps?

It could have if you used screws too long or mounted in the wrong place I guess but in my case it didn't.

After you mounted the amps, were you able to put the plastic cover back on?

No. I am going to have something made to go back there that will be custom and hopefully cool looking. The top half of the plastic thing would be used but where the amps are and below would have to be custom made from plexi or something. The neat thing is that with the seats back you cannot tell the cover is off so it is fine till I have something made.

Do you know if there would be enough room under the front seats to place the momo sub for the woofers?

There really isn't unless you want them poking out from the back of the seats. It is hard to find a small amp that actually has any power and heat is an issue too with small amps so you are better off putting a bigger amp in a place close or touching something because there is little or no heat.

I was also wondering about the sub install in the storage compartment. Did you somehow seal the storage compartment? I think the storage compartment has holes in it on the exterior side walls. I would think that might make the woofers not sound to good? Can you tell a big difference when you are using the single 8” woofer with your unit, compared to not using the woofer?

I was going to seal it all off and use bed liner in a can to coat the whole thing but someone suggested that I try it with nothing and see what it sounded like. If it sounded ok, and it did, then leave it alone so that is what I did. I can tell a huge difference. My head unit has a woofer volume control that I turned all the way down and back and you can tell it is going away. I wanted the system so that I had FULL range sound that was as close to accurate as I cared to afford and when I added the sub I had it. If you like Rap music and want to rattle windows forget it but if you want the radio or cd's to sound complete then you will be happy.

I would suspect that the 6 ½ “ door speakers would provide some bass. The reason I ask that is, I tried a powered 150w RMS 8” Bazooka tube, sitting on the middle hump on the floor in the back. While it helped, it did not make a huge difference like I hoped it would, so I sent it back.

They do but Mid Bass, not Sub Bass. They make men's voices sound right but not instruments (and not some men's voices : ). The Sub reproduces the low end bass that the door speakers can't reproduce or doesn't reproduce correctly making the music sound right. If you ever go to a concert you will notice they have huge speakers that contain, among all the rest, subs. A lot of brass instruments, drums, etc are FELT along with being heard. It takes the subs to reproduce that.

The setup you have sounds awsome. I wish I could hear and see it.
Thanks again for all of your input.

Thanks! It may sound good by the description but you should hear it! If you are anywhere near Atlanta or if you ever will be let me know and you can see and hear it. You are welcome for the input. When I was trying to get mine done I got a lot of info from this forum, it is the least I can do to share in return.

-zboyblue

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
czechm8
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing