Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doesn't raise & lower the volume consistently but jumps around unless you turn it really fast ...anyone seen this or have any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
doesn't raise & lower the volume consistently but jumps around unless you turn it really fast ...anyone seen this or have any advice?
These radios can break in this fashion.
It is broken.

Send out for repair...or better...replace it with a cheaper yet full featured aftermarket radio.
The latter would be more practical.

I would not spend more than $80 to repair it though. If yu decide to.

LT

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the delux toyota brand bumper2bumper warranty from the dealership up2 100k (I am at 70k) ...does that get covered?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
read your warranty...it will be covered , I believe. Do yu have the Toyota Platinum Warranty?

But, read your warranty ro call up the information phon number. They will tell yu before yu go to the dealer.

The dealer is only going to send it out for repair at an authorized radio repair shop. The dealer is not going to give yu a NEW one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your volume control contacts are just dirty, if you can pull out your volume knob, pick up one of these from your local radio shack. Spray it in there and it should fix the problem. Had that happen to my Camry's radio too.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I say it may be a temporary fix. But, the volume knob is within the radio and the radio must be removed and taken apart to repair, clean or replace.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I say it may be a temporary fix. But, the volume knob is within the radio and the radio must be removed and taken apart to repair, clean or replace.
All you have to do is pull out the volume knob and spray in there, trust me this stuff is like WD-40 it will reach the contacts. It's basically just behind the volume knob. Like I mentioned I had the same problem with my Camry's stock radio and I just sprayed this stuff and problem hasn't came back.

Your lucky "LT" you won't have this problem because you have the touch screen.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
:) The tuner spray cleaner doesn't always work. One can try. But to do it correctly the volume contacts must accessible.

It is not always dirt or dust. I have seen new radios do this. It is a defect or worn out vol knob in most cases. Most FujitsuTen and Denso head units have been this way for years.

Just playing devils advocate for worse case scenario.:)
I am an optomist though.

Good luck.
LT

·
Registered
1 Posts
These radios can break in this fashion.
It is broken.

Send out for repair...or better...replace it with a cheaper yet full featured aftermarket radio.
The latter would be more practical.

I would not spend more than $80 to repair it though. If yu decide to.

LT
If you have a broken radio volume control shaft, you can buy a replacement at Allied Electronics, P/N EC11E15244G1. The little printed circuit board that it is attached to can easily be removed by unscrewing the three small screws. Carefully unsolder the old volume control shaft (bench vise to hold is helpful). Make sure all old solder is removed so new shaft can be inserted, and soldered in.
The most challenging part is getting the ribbon cable re-inserted when re-installing in the car. I used some curved pliers to hold the ribbon cable, and said some prayers. There is a positioning post for the circuit board on the RHS. Position the ckt board so the positioning hole of the PC board is also oriented to the RHS. It works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts