Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY 04 Rear Hatch LOCK (not hatch handle) FIX

I searched forum and did not find anything exactly like this so thought I would start a thread......Anyway here's what I had and what I did:
Rear door/hatch would not lock or unlock with fob, inside switch or key. All other doors would lock and unlock fine with fob, inside switch and key.

Pulled apart rear panel using the diagram included in the TSB for repairing the stuck rear window. From here you can get to the lock mechanism through the access in the panel. My problem was the actuator.

FIRST: Pop plastic cover off the lock from underside of hatch then remove 3 bolts which become exposed by removing this plastic cover....cover just pops off.
SECOND: Reach down in thru the rear panel and remove the large plastic covered enclosure which hold the lock mechanism and the actuator. This is a little tricky as it is still attached to the cable and has 2 wiring plugs attached. Unclip the 2 wiring plugs and the cable. There is a rubber stopper you have to take out of bottom of plastic case to remove the cable...take care to remember how you took this rubber piece out. You can also wait to unhook the cable but I think it is easier if you do it now.

THIRD: Remove the lock and actuator assembly from this plastic cover. There are 2 small screws at the top of this plastic cover that need to be removed. Once these screws are out, you will need to tilt the assembly and work it out of this plastic enclosure as the actuator plug makes the assembly L shaped. Just work with it and you will figure it out.

FOUR:Once the assembly is free of the plastic cover, the fix is fairly easy. Just remove the 2 long screws that hold the actuator (black plastic part with male wire plug on 1 end) to the metal lock assembly. Put the new actuator (mine was $111 + tax at dealer) back in place of old one and then reverse these instructions to put it all back together. Local auto parts stores had this actuator for a little less $ but they were special order only and I could not find one on ebay. I took the risk that this was my problem and it worked. Actuator was non-returnable so I would have been out the $111 if it had not worked. A safer way would have been to check the current running back to the actuator first to see if power was getting back there...I did not know how to do this so I took a gamble. i think I need to learn how to check power thru a plug as this seems to come up quite often in DIY repairs.

TIP: Cable can be put back on the mechanism before or after you put it back in the plastic housing...your choice. Make sure the round end link of cable is seated flush down in its groove then click the plastic part into the metal retaining slot.

You should now be able to enjoy locking your vehicle again!!!
I took some photos of the parts once they were removed from the vehicle but did not want to create a photobucket account to attach them to this post. Everything is pretty straitforward if you have reasonable DIY skills. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the exact same thing but the thing still won't lock. But now I can't roll down the rear window from pressing the button but I can roll it down with the fob. Any suggestions?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts