Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I’m at the end of my rope chasing a thumping sound on my 2004 Sequoia. I’ve been to tire shops, mechanics, and still can’t figure out what is going on.

Symptoms: “thump” or “wub” sound from front driver side. It sounds like a flat spot or flat tire almost. I can feel it through the pedal as I drive. It is rotational, and speeds up as I speed up.

What I’ve tried/noticed/been told: First mechanic said the issue was tires so I had them rotated and the sound remained at the front driver side. While at discount tire, they said wheel bearing noise was evident, so I went to a new mechanic who drove and did various diagnostics and said it was not the wheel bearing, but could not figure out what it was.

Other observations: 4WD does not make a difference, neutral does not make a difference, it happens while applying brakes or not applying brakes. When I jack it up and spin the tire I cannot replicate them sound manually.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
11 Posts
alot of things sound like they are coming from the drivers side because that's where you're sitting. i once had the typical honda "click click click" on an axle that i swore was the drivers side. swapped it out, nope. it was the passengers side. sit on the passengers side and have someone take you for a spin to see if the resonance changes. also, does the tone change when you take a corner at decent speed, such as a freeway on ramp? if it gets more or less pronounced when cornering at speed, could be a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine sounded like a click with windows open and a thump when closed. Then it felt exactly like really worn out brakes. Turns out it was a worn out drive shaft/carrier bearing. rebuilt it all and good as new. This was at 150,000.

·
Registered
26 Posts
cv axle most likely,

Is the suspension all greasy where the CV boot is? If so it drained all the "sealed grease" and is now dry and busted.
Under $100 delivered from rockauto. Make sure to change the diff seal too. L and F have separate part numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts