Toyota Tundra Forums banner

04 vs. 05-06

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  prestonrh27 
#1 ·
Hello all. Newly registered member here, but I've been lurking awhile and doing a ton of research on 1st gen Tundras. I'm in the market for a 1st gen DC 4wd and am kind of torn on the matter. I am aware of the differences between the two regarding the upgraded power due to VVT-I, 5 speed transmission, and cosmetic updates. Really what it boils down to is price and availability. I live in Va Beach, VA and with extensive searching, can only find 05-06 models in the 10-13k range, roughly 140-180k miles, and 4-6 hours away. I have found some 04 models with similar miles, around the 8-9k range and less than an hour away. My question to you folks... is the juice worth the squeeze? Are those updates worth that additional money and travel time? Are those prices fairly in line with what you guys see in your areas? I don't plan on doing any mods or even towing really. I just need a dependable 4wd truck for home projects and to get me to my station and back (firefighter) during inclement weather. Driving is pretty evenly mixed between city and highway, so will MPG take a huge hit with the 4 speed vs the 5 speed?

I'm a big auto enthusiast and typically hold out for exactly what I'm looking for, but the search for an 05-06 is becoming a headache and I'm not sure an 04 won't check all the boxes I need to anyways. Thanks for your time

#2 ·
I would think the extra 20-30hp from going to the 05 would make more difference in the 4x4 version than in my 05 4x2. Especially if you plan on keeping it stock. If you need more power in the 04 you can easily SC it unlike the VVT-i. I would be willing to be the 05 will maintain its price longer if that is an issue for you. The 05 is also the year they added the secondary air injection system. I wouldn't worry too much about that, we have solutions but it is another difference. Personally I think the 05 is one of the best looking, slap some new headlights in it and you have a new truck.

#3 ·
The 04 is a bit of a stepchild build caught between the migration into the 05-06 family. It’s not a terrible situation but there is some interchangeability issues that you just may find if you search out used or salvage OEM Parts. Just do your homework Suoply your VIN etc. You state basic to moderate use and no mods the 04 would suffice.

The real deal is you will miss out on a wonderful package in the 05-06 VVT-I with the A750F. The former is just beans without the bacon.
Just a tremendous upgrade and feel. From the power to the ride. The efficiency and styling. Lots more electronic controlled everything to be noted. Drive it and service it respectfully it will reciprocate.

I’ve got a few Double Cabs for sale You’re a bit far but my wife is from Arlington she would love a trip home I'm sure! )
PM for more info if you like. I can surely give you better #’s.
I know you said 4wd. I’ve got 2. But I have 2-06’s (2wd) w/ very Low Mileage 145K ea. . Black one is immaculate. Silver/Blue is in body shop.
-2006 Black SR5 Crew Cab 145k miles SUPER CLEAN!
-2006 Silver/Blue SR5 Crew Cab 145k miles
-2004 SR5 4WD TRD Off Road Black Crew Cab
-2005 Limited 4WD TRD Off Road White Crew Cab 240k

#4 ·
Pardon if I may. I’m not sure if me offering vehicles for sale to another member or at all is allowed. If not please pardon and will remove.
I am not a dealer of any sort or even a normal seller. Im a tundra only enthusiast that happened to end up with a gathering of some excess this year. Wife wants em gone ! Soo...

#5 ·
Being that these Tundras run forever if treated right, I'd opt for spending a few extra beans on an '05-'06. I habe an '05, buddy has an '04, similar mileage and condition, the ride quality of my '05 is definitely better. Doesn't sound like you need the extra power of an '05-'06, but the extra power is nice.

#6 ·
Hello all. Newly registered member here, but I've been lurking awhile and doing a ton of research on 1st gen Tundras. I'm in the market for a 1st gen DC 4wd and am kind of torn on the matter. I am aware of the differences between the two regarding the upgraded power due to VVT-I, 5 speed transmission, and cosmetic updates. Really what it boils down to is price and availability. I live in Va Beach, VA and with extensive searching, can only find 05-06 models in the 10-13k range, roughly 140-180k miles, and 4-6 hours away. I have found some 04 models with similar miles, around the 8-9k range and less than an hour away. My question to you folks... is the juice worth the squeeze? Are those updates worth that additional money and travel time? Are those prices fairly in line with what you guys see in your areas? I don't plan on doing any mods or even towing really. I just need a dependable 4wd truck for home projects and to get me to my station and back (firefighter) during inclement weather. Driving is pretty evenly mixed between city and highway, so will MPG take a huge hit with the 4 speed vs the 5 speed?

I'm a big auto enthusiast and typically hold out for exactly what I'm looking for, but the search for an 05-06 is becoming a headache and I'm not sure an 04 won't check all the boxes I need to anyways. Thanks for your time

#7 ·
How’s it going. So I can’t say how much better the 05/06 compared to an 04 but I’m an original owner of an 05 DC and it has been a tremendous truck. Never left me hanging, I can’t say anything bad about it. Starts right up, still runs smooth doesn’t burn oil at anything. Did I mention I’ve got 235,000+ miles on it. It’s needed some suspension parts replaced recently but that’s to be expected. It’s a great truck

#8 ·

I have a 2007 with about 95k on it. Love the truck and used it for towing (boat) and hauling. I've been offered $14k for it on a trade in and I believe that Blue Book on it is about the same... Thought about trading it, but it's still "young" as far as mileage goes. For my money, Tundra is a truck lovers truck. Best of luck in your search....

#10 ·
Sure, I’d love to swing by and looks at yours while you point out some things to look for in my search. I’ve looked at 6 in the past few weeks and the biggest thing so far has been rusted frames, specifically around the rear axle and fuel tank. I’ve stuck my finger through the holes in some of them and people are still asking $11k for them... it’s something

#11 ·
Bought a 2001 acess cab new. Then the 05 and 06 double cabs came out and I couldn't take my eyes off of them.
Even when the newer trucks came out, I didn't like them as much......so I waited and waited........and I finally found a 2006 DC in
Arizona with 76,000 original miles. Bought it on Ebay for $15,100.00 2 months ago. Its a 4x2, but was the best decision I made because I will have it 20+ years. Did a lot of research before pulling the trigger and my decision was either 05 or 06 double cab. Rides like a Cadillac. Doesn't have all the unnecessary electronic gadgetry and there is so much room in the engine bay, I could climb in and take a nap. LoL. Also, I believe the suspension on the 05 and 06 is higher than the 04. In 07, The trucks got too big for me. I could have bought the same 06 truck three years ago, but with leather and a 4x4 with 50,000 miles on the clock on Craigslist in Sacramento for $3,000 less than I paid for this one, but I didn't.
This one became available and there were 3 of us fighting it out at the end. I think these trucks will only go up when guys realize that they are easy to work on, hold their value, and provide most of what a truck is used for.
I am going to add a backup camera and then I am done. I suggest you take your time and find what you really want. Then, go after it.

#12 ·
Just another thought, I am in California where we don't have to deal with rusted frames. I suggest that you look nationwide and do a lot of communicating with the seller, which I did. Look in the dry western states. I bought mine on Ebay, but I knew that truck before I ever started to bid. Also, there was a $500 REFUNDABLE deposit so if I got there and didn't like what I saw, I wasn't obligated to buy.
You will find in your research that the 05 and 06 double cabs are virtually problem free. Gas mileage isn't good, but back east you don't have to deal with our outrageous gas prices. Go on Search Tempest and you can search all the Craig's lists nationwide. You will eventually find the truck you want. Just don't wait to long. Prices are going up.

#13 ·
Well after months of looking, I finally found my truck. Thanks for all of the advice and help from everyone who replied. I had to drive a couple hours to Richmond to pick it up, but it was worth it. 2006 Limited 4WD with 178k miles. Wasn’t the biggest fan of tan interior but it’s actually cleaned up really nice. Biggest gripe is the woodgrain but I’ll be on the hunt for replacement pieces. Drove it home yesterday and already got busy with the TPMS bypass, LED conversion for the HVAC controls, and power steering flush. Pioneer MVH-1400, Infinity Reference 6.5 components (fronts) and 2-way’s (rear), and JBL amp bypass harness are ordered. And I need to seal up the white clips under the cowl after I found some leaking in the passenger floorboard yesterday during a MONSTER rain storm. Will be posting process pics in the “What have you done today” thread. Thanks everybody!
View attachment 150586

#15 ·
8,500. Has dealer maintenance records up to 168k miles, 2 of which state 90k mile service. Which to me, a 90k mile service would include timing belt and water pump. However, those items aren’t specifically spelled out so I’m going to call both Toyota dealers included in it’s maintenance records and request a copy by supplying the VIN. Worst case, if I can’t verify it’s been performed then I’ve budgeted and been quoted 1,100 from a local Toyota dealer for the work including the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idlers, cam seals, thermostat, and radiator hoses. Already purchased Amsoil 75w-90 for the front diff and transfer case, and dino Valvoline 75w-90 and additive for the rear diff. Looking to get a good baseline on this thing. Really wish I could find some OEM floormats...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.