Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the wife a 2004 limited highlander. So far, the truck is absolutely great, with one minor annoyance. When driving around 35, if you release the acclerator pedal the suv keeps going and going and going.....(insert runaway toyota joke here...). The instant MPG guage reads around 39-40mpg, but not the 90 it should be when the accelerator is released(after all, the instant MPG guage is just a vacuum guage). When at a dead stop, the idle reads around 8-900 rpm(seems a bit high, i'd like to see it 7-750 but if we are only talking a difference of 50 rpm we are just splitting hairs...). We have no problems getting the vehicle to stop, it just seems very odd that it won't coast to a stop from 35 mph. I have recently had an induction cleaning done and have not reset the ecu post the induction cleaning, and that is next on my to do list, i'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem? I'll be taking it to one of my techs at work here in the next couple of months for the ECU reflash and an oil change, and it already past my inspection process with flying colors, but this is just odd. Anyone have any first hand experience with this?
thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have an 04 Highlander, assume you also have V6 AWD. I remember that different driver mat restraining clips were fitted years ago as a recall, although I had not experienced any problems with the mat interfering with the accelerator pedal. The precise speed that you experience the problem should aid diagnosis. At that speed the accelerator would not be depressed much, maybe the lightly stretched return spring is unable to overcome the resistance to the return of the pedal, due to accumulated grit, corrosion, gummy lubricant etc. Otherwise, it is probably a more complicated electronics control problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts