Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well forget the 07's. It may be fast but, its just way too big to fit down narrow trails and narrow New england roads, and good lord you gotta be a B-ball player to put anything over the side! Also, too much electronic poop (VSC,TRAC,A-TRAC,TMPS), and too expensive. The payload shrink too?

My father is looking at the 05-06 AC 4x4 TRD Off-road. Gonna replace his 97 F150. Needs a dependable truck for the next decade at least. Its needed in the mtns & lakes of NH, so not much city or interstate, but country roads & lots off-road & logging roads.

-Any bugs or problems (motor, tranny, 4wd system)?

-Hows it handle off-road?

-How's the mileage? Again little city, no interstate. Think 30-65 mpg two lane country roads.

-Rear seat won't be used much, but once and a while, how is it back there?

-Any recommendations, options, or gotta have's?

Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bugs: Some people have said they have piston slap. Mine doesn't have it, and I don't know the extent to which people do. Supposedly it's not a problem with reliability though. Aside from that, I've had just a little passenger seat squeaking, which shouldn't be a problem to get fixed.

My mileage has been between 14.5 and 16 mpg, mostly city driving.

Rear seat would be fine for short trips. Long trips would be no good, the leg room isn't great and the seatback is at a very steep upright angle.

I haven't driven mine off-road (it's a 4x2 anyway). But it's a very smooth engine, and the 5-speed trans is great. I have the TRD package, and while it's stiffer than the non-TRD package, it's still fine for city driving.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I agree mostly. Averaging 14.5 - 15.5 with city/highway. I don't have any piston slapping. Only booty slapping. I have never taken my truck "off-roading" but used 4x4 in snow/ice. Plows through it like a tank.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase. :tu:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Well forget the 07's. It may be fast but, its just way too big to fit down narrow trails and narrow New england roads, and good lord you gotta be a B-ball player to put anything over the side! Also, too much electronic poop (VSC,TRAC,A-TRAC,TMPS), and too expensive. The payload shrink too?

My father is looking at the 05-06 AC 4x4 TRD Off-road. Gonna replace his 97 F150. Needs a dependable truck for the next decade at least. Its needed in the mtns & lakes of NH, so not much city or interstate, but country roads & lots off-road & logging roads.

-Any bugs or problems (motor, tranny, 4wd system)?

-Hows it handle off-road?

-How's the mileage? Again little city, no interstate. Think 30-65 mpg two lane country roads.

-Rear seat won't be used much, but once and a while, how is it back there?

-Any recommendations, options, or gotta have's?

Thanks
No bugs, just the ball joint recall which was handled seamlessly. And the fuel pump that went bad at 9000 miles, a first for that dealer. It was handled extrememely well though.

Off road handling is awesome, very sure footed.

70-75 mph interstate mileage isn't any better than 18. It will be 18-19 at speeds less than 70. My friends with Silverados get that and better, but then, they have to drive Chevys. I get 15 around town.

The back seat is okay only for kids. Adults in there over a half hour will complain. The domestics have much better seats in their ACs than the Tundra. I knew that going in and it doesn't bother me. The 100 pound chocolate lab thinks the seat is fine.

Overall, the Tundra is a good truck but I don't and can't brag on its reliability since having a breakdown and a recall in the first year. For ME, it is the perfect truck. I love the size, inside and out. It is just right. I hated to see the passing of this generation. I wouldn't trade it for a Chevy which might get better gas mileage or tow just a bit better, the tradeoffs aren't worth it. If 1 or 2 mpg is that important to you, you wouldn't be driving a truck anyway.

I would also add that the buying experience new from the dealer is what really sold me on the Toyota. And that is why Chevy didn't get my sale. It wasn't because one truck was so much better than the other. You will only be dissappointed in a Tundra if you expect an absolutely perfect truck in every way. There is no such truck.

Joe

·
Registered
971 Posts
The 05-06 Tundra ACs are great trucks:tu: I have an 05 AC TRD 4x4. I take mine off road quite a bit and it does great for a stock Tundra, first thing you should do though is get rid of the crappy stock BF Stuckrich Rugged Trails and get some real tires on and THEN you'll see what it can do. I run Revos, great tires. I could have bought the DC for almost the same price as the AC but I chose the AC because I do like to go off road and being a bit smaller makes the AC better on narrow trails especially when you have to turn around in a tight spot, the shorter wheelbase is a plus off road as well. Just be sure to buy one with the rear LSD, far more usefull off road than a regular open diff. If you don't do any heavy duty towing the 05 and 06 AC models are a great choice. Personaly I don't have any desire to trade up to the 07 model because for my needs the 05 AC is perfect and as I said, if I wanted a larger truck I would have bought a DC instead of my AC. I love my 05 AC 4x4 and about the only complaint I have is that it is not really great on gas. Others seem to get pretty good mileage but about the best mine will do is about 11 or 12 MPG city and 15 -16 highway, maybe it's because my area is a lower elevation, I don't know. Yeah I have an odd little nit pick here and there but no vehicle is perfect. As others have mentioned the rear seat would not be good for a larger person on a long trip but if you don't normally haul alot of people around it's not a problem and is still functional. My 05 AC is also very comfortable to drive and very quiet on the highway, almost like driving a Lexus that is also great off road.:sleep:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts