Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering, those of you with an 05 dc, are you able to move the shifter up and down while it's in gear? I don't mean that it moves out of gear, it just is loose between the gear positions, I will post a short video clip soon. Hopefully it's an easy fix, maybe just an adjustment screw or something simple like that :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mine does it a little, but its a 2000, so I am sure its been shifted a few times. :)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
You can adjust the tension on the shift cable. I did on mine and there is no play anymore.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that the mod where you adjust the cable at the brake pedel? I think that only changes the amount of pressure that you have to apply to the brake for the truck to shift out of P, but I'm not sure?

Let me know what you did :)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
It's to tighten up the play with the shifter, not the brake pedal or any of that. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this the part you are talking about? I looked at it quickly as I was in a hurry because I have school tonight. Looks like the right part :)

And the movie file showing how it moves (it doesn't move like this when put in park, only the other gears, I guess park is at the top and it's locked in more.)

EDIT: I adjusted the part above, and it helped strengthen up the shifter in N, but when put in D it moves just as much as before, maybe I need to adjust it more? (moved it about 1/8"+, towards the ground)

EDIT 2: :) I got home from school and adjusted it again, as tight as I could. It did strengthen up the shifter, and everything still shifts right (not too tight). Still in D the shifter is loose like in the video, should I get the dealer to look at it when I get the ball joint recall done? I dunno, little things like this bug me :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My truck does the same thing. I will look at the adjustments this weekend and see what I can do. Never thought about adjusting the cable.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Looks like the right spot to adjust to me dibble. Mine doesn't move like that after tightening it though. The lever is tight in all gears.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I am taking in my truck for the balljoint recall next thursday, and they are going to take a look at the shifter too (they said if it's technically not broken, they can't fix it even though it's loose) I'll try my best to get them to fix it. Took a little bit of talking for them to get the recall done without the Toyota notice but I accomplished that :)

EDIT: I looked on discounttoyotaparts.com for the assembly (just in case the dealer won't fix it). There are two parts to the assembly, the lever, and the "controller". Together I think the total would be $70. But the illustration also shows how they are attached, if the dealer won't fix it it looks like maybe it could be a loose screw or something of that sort, just a PITA to get to because I have to take the lower dash panel and combination meter surround off to get the steering column covers off. Part 9 is the shift lever, part 10 is the controller.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They took a look at it the other day, said it needed some adjustment for $40, I told them to go ahead and do it (I know, I know, could have done it myself, just wanted them to screw around with the shifter in case it broke)

It's a lot better, they said they compared it to an 06 on the lot, and the play is the same, I call bs on that, but o well, it's fine for now :)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm positive they didn't change or adjust anything on the inside Dib. Probly just the cable adjustment again.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, your probably right. They called me on the phone and said we can adjust it for $40, I said why not, hey it's a lot better than it was. Hopefully it will just break sometime and will be covered under the extended warranty. I could have complained that I was not 100% happy with the play it has but I was really loosing patience with the dealer (had to go back because of a problem with the brakes), and just said screw it I need to get out of here, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts