Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 DC 2WD 4.7 V8.

I bought the truck last February, after it had the radiator, water pump, and timing all replaced. It was taken to the shop because it had overheated, and the radiator was discovered cracked. Mechanic suggested all the replacement parts since it was there. The first replacement radiator was bad, and had been replaced by another radiator of the same make. Unsure if the thermostat and radiator cap were replaced at the same time.
Fast forward to last Sunday. The truck has been running great, and even just got finished towing my 5500 LB camper into eastern Tennessee from middle GA with ZERO issues. The wife and I took it out to the storage yard, about 5 miles away, where the camper is being parked. Beautiful weather, and it didn't do any heavy lifting that day, but as I was waiting for the gate to open, I noticed the A/C suddenly got very warm. I looked down at the dash and see the temp gauge pegged out max hot! After I got it shut off and popped the hood, I found all the coolant running out onto the ground under the truck and the engine bay looked like the radiator had exploded. I heard and felt nothing during this event. I thought maybe it just slipped the lower hose, so I removed and inspected it, and reinstalled it after finding no damage. I couldn't get the skid plate down in the parking lot due to a stripped bolt head, so I had to work from the top and hope it was just the hose. Any coolant I tried to put back into the radiator ran right back out the bottom, so I knew it was blown at that point and had it towed home.
Yesterday I pulled everything apart and found the lower radiator cap bulged out and separated from the radiator. It looked like it was over pressurized, popped the cap, and vented the coolant. Knowing that it has had a new radiator put in 7 months ago under similar circumstances had me worried about head gaskets leaking, so I did hydrocarbon testing once the new radiator was in and filled up. It was negative for hydrocarbons.
I also found the overflow reservoir in questionable condition. There was some junk in it, and the tube connecting it to the top of the radiator was extremely narrow and didn't flow much at all when I tipped it. I cleaned it out, trimmed off a little excess plastic around the tube opening, and bored it out with a slightly bigger drill bit to widen the opening. I also replaced the thermostat and radiator cap since, in my mind, all those things were suspect.
Has anyone else had a similar problem with radiators on these trucks? Is there anything I'm overlooking? The mechanic that did the last radiator work on it also ran the hydrocarbon test 3-4 times with the same negative result.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check the Clutch Fan and it's Blades that they are working correctly, also is a there alot of sludge coming our of your Radiator or in the overflow?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check the Clutch Fan and it's Blades that they are working correctly, also is a there alot of sludge coming our of your Radiator or in the overflow?
Also, is it possible that the new thermostat is defective? does the blower send out heat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything appears to be working as it should. The temp gauge never goes over the half mark, Sunday being the exception. Heat works great in the truck. Fan clutch and blades are good also. There was a little bit of a petroleum like jelly substance in the overflow tank and hose. Looked just like petroleum jelly. Engine oil is clean, and no white buildup under the oil filler cap.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
my first thoughts would be to the Flan Clutch. When you shut it off and it is hot go under the hood and give it a spin. There should be a lot of resistance and it shouldn't spin freely. Another thought would be a thermostat installed incorrectly. Some of the aftermarket radiators aren't the greatest and Denso through Rock Auto or another seller is often similar in price and they are the OEM for Toyota. My original lasted me 20 years so it made sense to install what lasted that long

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everything appears to be working as it should. The temp gauge never goes over the half mark, Sunday being the exception. Heat works great in the truck. Fan clutch and blades are good also. There was a little bit of a petroleum like jelly substance in the overflow tank and hose. Looked just like petroleum jelly. Engine oil is clean, and no white buildup under the oil filler cap.
THE REASON WHY I ASKED YOU ABOUT SLUDGE IN YOUR OVERFLOW IS BECAUSE YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A DODGE RAM, WELL THE PREVIOUS OWNER NEGLECTED THE ANTIFREEZE AND IT WAS RUNNING HOT, I PUT IN A NEW RADIATOR, THERMOSTAT,CAP,WATER PUMP, NEW COOLANT, NOTHING WRONG WITH THE FAN CLUTCH OR BLADES, AND IT WAS STILL SOMETIMES RUNNING A LITTLE HOT,BUT I DID NOTICE THIS THICK NASTY BLACK CRUD KEPT ACCUMULATING IN THE OVERFLOW, SO I REMOVED THE 2 PLUGS ON THE ENGINE BLOCK, ONE ON EACH SIDE AND I COULDN'T BELIEVE ALL THE BLACK NASTY SLUDGE THAT CAME OUT, SO I FLUSHED IT AGAIN AND IT NEVER RAN HOT AGAIN AFTER THAT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THE REASON WHY I ASKED YOU ABOUT SLUDGE IN YOUR OVERFLOW IS BECAUSE YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A DODGE RAM, WELL THE PREVIOUS OWNER NEGLECTED THE ANTIFREEZE AND IT WAS RUNNING HOT, I PUT IN A NEW RADIATOR, THERMOSTAT,CAP,WATER PUMP, NEW COOLANT, NOTHING WRONG WITH THE FAN CLUTCH OR BLADES, AND IT WAS STILL SOMETIMES RUNNING A LITTLE HOT,BUT I DID NOTICE THIS THICK NASTY BLACK CRUD KEPT ACCUMULATING IN THE OVERFLOW, SO I REMOVED THE 2 PLUGS ON THE ENGINE BLOCK, ONE ON EACH SIDE AND I COULDN'T BELIEVE ALL THE BLACK NASTY SLUDGE THAT CAME OUT, SO I FLUSHED IT AGAIN AND IT NEVER RAN HOT AGAIN AFTER THAT
there wasn’t much in there, and it looked just like petroleum Jelly. Same color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts