Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the other day I was driving around with the windows down, and it got a bit chilly. Started thinking, ya know, if I had seat heaters it would be juuuust right :) I don't want to spend money now on leather, plus not sure if I even want leather at all in the future anyways. This write up is not completed yet, I will update it. Have not gotten all of the parts needed yet.

I know my truck came prewired for the heated seats, so all I have to add is the elements, relay, and switches. I want everything to be connected to the stock wiring (why add extra wiring if it's not needed, right?)

I have linked below a PDF write-up of what I have accomplished so far. I am hoping that I will be able to purchase the elements from someone's wrecked truck, but if not I can either buy the Toyota ones ($$$) or buy after-market elements and install them using the stock wiring.

BTW I saved a lot of money by not purchasing the toyota seat heater relay. It's just a standard relay, I got one for 8 bucks online vs. the 50 bucks Toyota wants.

PM me if you have any questions. Yes, heated seats have been covered before, but I didn't see anyone that used Toyota parts. I guess I'm kinda weird but I'd rather install using existing wiring and components (especially the switches) instead of adding extra wiring thats not supposed to be there

LINK TO WRITE UP (not completed)

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Well the other day I was driving around with the windows down, and it got a bit chilly. Started thinking, ya know, if I had seat heaters it would be juuuust right :) I don't want to spend money now on leather, plus not sure if I even want leather at all in the future anyways. This write up is not completed yet, I will update it. Have not gotten all of the parts needed yet.

I know my truck came prewired for the heated seats, so all I have to add is the elements, relay, and switches. I want everything to be connected to the stock wiring (why add extra wiring if it's not needed, right?)

I have linked below a PDF write-up of what I have accomplished so far. I am hoping that I will be able to purchase the elements from someone's wrecked truck, but if not I can either buy the Toyota ones ($$$) or buy after-market elements and install them using the stock wiring.

BTW I saved a lot of money by not purchasing the toyota seat heater relay. It's just a standard relay, I got one for 8 bucks online vs. the 50 bucks Toyota wants.

PM me if you have any questions. Yes, heated seats have been covered before, but I didn't see anyone that used Toyota parts. I guess I'm kinda weird but I'd rather install using existing wiring and components (especially the switches) instead of adding extra wiring thats not supposed to be there

LINK TO WRITE UP (not completed)

Im thinking about doing the leather update on my access cab and I can get them dirt cheap Under $500.00 from my source.The problem is Georgia winters are indeed cold and I wouldn't want to go with Leather since the Tundra doesnt have a seat heater option on access cab's. Yes I would be intrested in your write up but can you add the heater option for cloth seat's like your doing on access cab's too?

Erik

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, seat heaters work fine on cloth seats. I thought about doing leather at the same time but it's just too much money right now. Plus I'm still kinda on the fence on leather, I like how it looks, that it doesn't give you static so you get shocked when you get out but it just gets so hot during the summer. I'm going to make an appointment this week to get the 3m rock chip film put on my truck. I'd rather spend the money now to protect the truck from further damage than replace something thats not needed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This will be a great writeup, keep us informed, I'm thinking of doing the same thing and will be interested to see how yours goes, Thanks!:tu:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, just a quick update. I've been trying to get a hold of the Toyota OEM elements with little success, so I figure I'll go the cheaper route and just buy aftermarket elements and hook them up to the trucks harness. The hardest part is connecting the elements to the trucks connector, there is no source for JUST the connector pins. So out of curiosity I went searching through the garage for my brake controller harness that came with the truck. Sure enough that harness has the pins I need. Two harnesses are required as they each have 3 pins that can be used, about $20 total for both harnesses. LINK

Yes, I could just use the switch that comes with the seat heater kit and saved $20 + the cost of the OEM switches, but wheres the fun in that :) When I am finished nobody will ever be able to tell they weren't there from the factory, even when looking under the seat!

EDIT: My seat heater elements and switches should be here around 10/25, I'll update the thread when I get the install completed!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost done!

My seat heater arrived today (just installing the Drivers side for now) I purchased the $80 version from heatedseatkits.com.

I did not use their harness at all, just the two elements. The elements have built in temperature sensors to cut the power if they get too hot. My Toyota switches are coming in Thursday, right now I am just using a cigarette lighter adapter to test it out. They get nice and hot, but take about a minute and half to fully heat up. I was kinda disappointed in that, but the only experience that I have had so far with seat heaters are the ones that are installed in Lincoln's. Those things heat up in seconds! Anyone know how long it takes for the OEM Toyota elements to heat up? Keep in mind the engine was off when I was testing the seat.

I will probably update the write-up PDF this weekend or next week.

UPDATE: I will get the write up finished soon, I am installing the passenger seat this week and will get better pictures of the disassembly. I ended up buying another seat heater that is more powerful, and I am going to disassemble the drivers seat again and install the more powerful one, then install the weaker one in the passenger seat. I don't want to be just warm, I want to be HOT :) The final one I purchased for the drivers seat was the Innovative Heat Extreme ($140) from autowarm.com. It's HOT, like sit in front of the fireplace hot. Well worth the extra money over the cheaper version.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated the writeup, still not completely done but take a look at it and see what you think. Any suggestions, anything that isn't clear?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I've tried the link in the first post you made and it seems to be a bad link. Is it me or is something wrong with it?

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I'm looking forward to your results.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should be working now. Deleted the original one and my upload program had an error last night to update it. Also compressed the pdf so the file size is more manageable. Remember this is not completely done so there are few formatting mistakes, but all the information is correct.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks pretty good. Like you said, a few formatting and touch-ups still to do.

Some things you might want to add:

1) Is there any way to identify a tundra with heated seats just by looking at it (in case the center console/switches have already been taken from a junkyard tundra). Or will any other heating elements work? Where would you get them?

2) As for unplugging the battery and waiting... if the Tundra is like every other car I've worked on, you can speed up this process (and ensure results) by simply unplugging the battery and pressing the brake pedal a couple times. This should discharge any residual charge in any capacitors.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any heating elements will work. Most aftermarket elements come with a controller, but you can just scrap that.

I have heard of the brake pedal thing too, but I figured better safe than sorry and just follow the Toyota Repair manual, and add a couple minutes :) I'm willing to wait a couple minutes to reduce the chance of injury, not to mention the cost of the airbags if accidentally deployed!

I'm slowly getting the write up completely done, between work and classes it takes a while :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the kind of heating element matter? What I mean is that those switches have a "hi" and "low" setting. Does that have something to do with the element? Or does that just change the amount of voltage that is sent through to the element?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seat heater element does not matter. Just scrap the harness/switches/ and controller that comes with them. All you need to use is the elements. The way the stock system works is on high, both elements get 12v and are wired in parallel. On low both elements are wired in series, therefore making both heating elements a lower temperature.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You can get aftermarket heater elements for under $100 a seat. Try jegs.com

edit:search for 936-S225 in the jegs website,they're $89.98 per seat.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just remember, cheaper is not always better. My first heated sit kit was around $80 and wasn't hot enough for me. I bought the $160 version and couldn't be happier. Toasty!! (The cheaper version is fine for passengers though)

·
Registered
583 Posts
when i pull the part number up for the switchs on a toyota part site. it comes up with a $4 part. does anybody have the correct part number?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts