Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
IntegraGSR is right on with his inspection procedure :tu: with one exception: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING :eek: My dealership replaced a tranny in a Land Cruiser, at Toyota's expense, with the service rep present, before one of the mechanics decided to read the fine print in the repair manual. They were letting the fluid drain out, and thought the tranny was bad, because it wouldn't shift out of first, which is the default, "limp-home" mode when the fluid is low. Apparently, if the engine is not running, you get an "overfilled" condition when you open the smaller plug. There is a standpipe that is the right height for the fluid, when the rest of the fluid is being pumped up into the rest of the tranny. Now that I understand the design, I like this method better for checking the fluid. I always seemed to get different readings on a dipstick, and was never completely happy with the result. Too bad Toyota wasn't a little more forthcoming with the info, even to their own people. Chalk up another one for TundraSolutions :tu: :tu: :tu:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.