Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-
Looking for some input, ideas and what other owners have done.
I found my rear axle leaking fluid by the “rear cover”. At first I thought it might have been the drain or the fill plugs, but it seems to be the cover itself. Rust causing pin holes leaks, is what I have read.
Also read, this rear cover is welded to the housing and not easily removed and replaced.
Has anyone in this forum run into this before, if so what did you do to solve this problem?

I’m looking around to see if I can locate a used axle. I also have priced a new housing from Toyota, tho it is a little pricey at $1,200.

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dorman and Barnes 4x4 make new covers that can be welded on. I read recently where someone used the Dorman cover and drilled/tapped 8 holes around, then used RTV to seal it up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i've seen a couple of threads about diff cover repair for those kinds of pin hole leaks. some people debate welding up the holes versus using some epoxy like JB weld. quick search for "diff cover leak" didn't reveal any before/after repair examples. but i know i recall seeing one recently where the poster POR-ed the hell out of everything after fixing the leaks. but couldn't find the thread to forward...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and ideas.
I’m pretty sure I’m going to move forward with replacing it with a used one.
This might be the best long term fix for me.
I like the idea of replacing the cover, but it seems a little too involved.
The JP weld would be the easiest, but haven’t seen any long term positive results.
I will keep the tread updated as I go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts