Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago, my Sequoia wouldn't start, out of the blue. I thought that I had battery or alternator problems. I took my sequoia to Autozone and tested it. Both batter and alternator tested fine. After that ran fine with no problems, until today.

Today, after driving for a bit, I had stopped. About 20 min later, it wouldn't crank. Tried the horn. No dice either. I got my sequoia jumped and started. When I got home, I shut it off (2min drive) I noticed the check engine light. I went to check the codes on it and got P0340 and P0345. My Sequoia wouldn't start. I put a battery charger on it and went in to take a shower and check the net.

I have found that P0340 and P0345 are Cam position sensors. What does that mean to me? Replacing the sensors? Timing belt change? How serious is this? I am supposed to drive the family for a 10hr trip to a wedding on Thursday.

I need some advice on this one.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Welcome jonnylbluejeans! That is a good question, and unfortunately I'm not sure...you may also want to check with the 1st Gen Tundra forum.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It looks like P0340 is for the Bank 1 sensor and P0345 is for the Bank 2 sensor. It seems unlikely that both sensors would fail at the same time. I would check for damage in the wiring harness - pinched, rubbed, or broken wires, corrosion in connectors, loose grounds, etc.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have found that P0340 and P0345 are Cam position sensors. What does that mean to me? Replacing the sensors? Timing belt change? How serious is this? I am supposed to drive the family for a 10hr trip to a wedding on Thursday.

I need some advice on this one.

I wouldn't let this one go. Rent a car for your trip. I don't know this for certain, but I believe the cam position sensors monitor the rotational positions of the two overhead camshafts - one on each cylinder bank - relative to the crankshaft. If this were my truck, I would be concerned that the timing belt has slipped a tooth, possibly because the tensioner is failing.

If this is the case, you are very close to buying a new engine, as your engine is an interference engine and a slipping/broken timing belt will result in the valves hitting the pistons.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good deal, glad you were able to get it solved. :cool: Hopefully the codes won't be returning any time soon.

Keep us posted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts