Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 05 Tundra. The battery seems to be shot after numerous times of complete discharge, 9.34 volts or lower. With a good battery installed I hooked up a 10 amp digital current meter in series the postive cable and the battery. With the car sitting, doors locked, the drain on the battery is .045 amps. Is that excessive? What is the acceptable drain on a Toyota truck sitting in the garage? My truck sat 4 to 5 days a week, and would seldomly start after sitting five days. Anyone that would take a reading of your battery drain and let me know I'd greatly appreciated it.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I have an 05 Tundra. The battery seems to be shot after numerous times of complete discharge, 9.34 volts or lower. With a good battery installed I hooked up a 10 amp digital current meter in series the postive cable and the battery. With the car sitting, doors locked, the drain on the battery is .045 amps. Is that excessive? What is the acceptable drain on a Toyota truck sitting in the garage? My truck sat 4 to 5 days a week, and would seldomly start after sitting five days. Anyone that would take a reading of your battery drain and let me know I'd greatly appreciated it.
I don't know the answer to your question but sounds like your truck would be very happy with a deep cycle battery if you end up buying a replacement. You can use it as your primary battery and it is more durable to numerous full discharges. Just MHO.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
There are constant drains, including the clock, radio, keyless entry (if you have it installed), etc. That amount doesnt seem to be too excessive. Sounds more like the battery just cant handle sitting for that long of a period, perhaps a dead cell, or just too weak of a battery. If that is the norm, get a better battery. Perhaps consider a second/isolated battery for the times you really need the juice. BTW, no automotive battery is made to take continuous discharges like that. I dont care if its lead acid el cheapo or a expensive Odyssey or Optima battery, with repetitive drains you will kill it quickly. Maybe consider hooking up a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got back from a 2 week vacation & my 2006 X-runner battery is totally flat. I did some research on our batteries & the "state of charge" indicator eye only reads one of the six cells, so it's possible for it to be green, but still have a dead battery (one of the other cells are open or shorted).

As for parasitic drain, this article I read indicates anything over 120mA is bad.
So .045A is just fine.

I have a Gaylords lid installed with a wireless remote opener built in.
The morning I left for the Airport the lid was covered in heavy frost, except where the wireless remote receiver was built into the lid. That spot the frost was melted... I did not have a good feeling about that when I left, but didn't have time to do anything about it.

I suspect my battery is toast now (2 years since the date of manufacture), as the microprocessor controlled charger I just purchased at my local drugstore for $49.99 will not charge it, but instead throws an F03 code.
This indicates the battery is sulphated. I'm trying the recondition function for 24 hrs. If this does not allow it to accept a charge, then it's off to the dealership for warranty.

The last few new vehicles I've owned have just barely passed the 3 year warranty period when the OEM batteries have failed. It seems the manufacturers are scrimping on things like this to wring out every nickel of profit they can from a vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nothing in the system, even with all your extras should be killing a battery like that unless something is bad.

You need to do a parasitic drain test on the electrical system. You need a DVOM capable of 10amps. Disconnect your negative battery cable and put the leads from the DVOM on the negative post and to the negative wire. This 'should' give you a reading of 50ma draw or less. Anything over 50ma can kill a battery fairly quick.
I agree, you need to determine the current draw when the truck is off. Hooking the DVOM in line will give you an accurate current reading. I bet one of your items is drawing power even though you think it is turned off.

Don't change your alternator before you do this, I think your alternator should be fine.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
well this is the 6th time that my battery has completely died. I am not totally surprized, just dissapointed. When i do drive it, i usually drive it for at least 10 miles, and frequently over 100, it doesn't matter. This is the v6 prerunner with off-road package, but not with the tow package (would have been nice to have that bigger alternator)

i have an aftermarket security system installed, plus a high powered stereo w/ video system with 2 amps, navi, radar detector and sat radio. If i leave it sitting for more than 3 days, which i frequently do as i travel for work, i can pretty much assume it's going to lose charge and be so dead that it can't even unlock the doors when i return. My electronics must keep that alternator strained to the max of it's abilities to where it just has enough to do a little charging but next time around it's gonna die. The reason i'm so dissapointed is that i have a jeep wrangler and a mini cooper with pretty much identical setups, same security system, similar electronics, and i can leave them for weeks without using them and they'll start right up. I have definitely checked to make sure that my gadgetry is not staying on when i shut off the truck. You can see the power lights turn off with everything, and to make sure i took out my volt meter and checked every item for current draw, they are all turning off properly.

So does anyone think that i should
a. Take it to the dealership and say, hey this thing sucks gimme a new battery? Because that seems pretty much pointless because they'll probably point at my stereo and say, yeah right.
B. Go buy an optima yellow top 34/78 and be done with it or
c. Try to buy an upgraded alternator, maybe the toyota towing version.
Thanks all,
your stero system is sucking up your battery. Optma yellow top wont last, their mexico made now. I suggest you go to battery plus they carry north star agm batteries, under the name p0wer 2 extreme or something like that. Invest $300.00 that battery will outlast anything on the market its american made plus it will withstand 28 times more vibration than a non agm. I assume you offroad and get muddy?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts