Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Toyota Tundra 2005, V8, 4.7L, 4x4(83,000 miles) lost its transmission power while driving on the highway and the check engine light came on. The transmission power came on and off all the way home. Lunging each time it dropped off and came on. I brought it to the dealer who told me I needed a new transmission at a cost of $4000.00. It was displaying P0986 code.

The next day I brought it to a transmission shop. They found that the wire connector (15 pin) that goes from the transmission to the ECM was corroded and the pins were broken and not making contact. Its design is clearly defective. It is not protected and is located in a place where it is exposed to all the salt and water resulting in the pins being corroded. Information communicated from the computer to the transmission and back is interrupted or inaccurate. I found this information on a website at the same time the independent transmission shop discovered what the problem was. The following site describes the problem very clearly: Tundra trans

The cost for the new male harness was $58.00. The pan needed to be dropped to replace the harness and the broken pins needed to be picked out of the female harness. Labor and fluid was about $460.00. I contacted Toyota. They gave me a run around with only frustration and stress. I see this problem occurring with all these trucks in any part of the country where it is wet. The dealers only replaced transmissions and don't fix them. Anybody else have this problem? Learn from me if you have problems with your transmission check the connector first!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
wow great info. i'm so glad you did your reseach. good for you.
i wish i knew how to give you points for this.
it's worth 4g's.
gorilla
p.s. thread saved!
i pushed the snow flake thing, & rated your thread excellant!
i hope that is how you give points.
but i think i should give you some sort of credit.
thankyou so much!

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
Ahh yes, the Succubus 15-pin connector. Thanks for posting your story. Where on earth did you discover that website you linked us to? They've got two good pics of the pin in question. Looks like some tape around the outside or even some grease could be a quick fix.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The transmission shop loaded up the new connector with dielectric grease. I don't think the original had any grease in it. Two of the pins were completely corroded off and a third pin was green and starting to corrode. The male and female connecter is bolted together.
The problem is in the design and location. I have a letter in to Toyota and plan to go back to the dealer and ask for my $70.00 back which paid for the wrong diagnosis!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi if you could post pictures. i would love to see exactly where to look.
in south florida it rains alot. & i'm sure i will have this issue, down the road.
& i persoanlly would rather do what you did than the dealership charge me 4 grand.
gorilla

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think filling the connector with the dielectric grease and then possibly sealing the connector off with silicone may work well. COurse makes changing it a pain, but the silicone should waterproof it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you click on Tundra trans in the original post, there are two pictures there. I found this spending hours searching the internet for transmission problems for my truck. I have printed out copies and plan to bring them to the dealer where I got my original 4K quote for a new trannie! If codes come up that are transmission problems, first stop is the connector.
Toyota doesn't take anything apart and goes by the codes. If they had opened the connector, they wouldn't have be able to put it back. This would mean they couldn't move the truck and would have to just repair the connector. Has anybody had the dealer fix a transmission?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Most dealers don't know diddly about transmissions. Beyond ordering a reman and swapping out the entire unit....you're not going to get decent service from a dealer. It takes a special shop and trained workers to rebuild a transmission properly "on the bench". The reman units come from the factory as good or better than new. Of course that means a typical dealer knows squat about transmissions. I wouldn't even consider them for this work if the vehicle is out of warranty, unless they offer some good-will toward the repair. And that's a rarity at a Toyota dealer.

Good job doing the research and finding a qualified shop. Worst part of owning a Toyota for me was the half-assed dealers I've fought with over the years. Makes me think twice everythime I shop for one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the exact issue, but my dealer diagnosed it rather than tell me I needed a new transmission. They initially wanted $1.5k to replace harness . I had to call Toy USA and file a claim to get a inspector to go to the dealer and approve the replacement as I felt it should be covered under my extended warranty. I had to stay ontop of the dealer daily and was w/out my truck for 2 weeks, but in the end I was not responsible for paying. Now I clean all connections annually and grossly lube w/ dielectric grease.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is this problem solely found on the 5 speed transmissions, and not the early yrs 4 speed trannies, or is this problem affected throughout all the yrs ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2005 Tundra V8 with 81K mi. I am having this exact problem right now. Code is p0986. I only get the engine light when I shift into 4wd. The light usually goes out after awhile. I'm pretty handy and wondering if I could take care of this problem myself?

Right now it seems to be intermittent so I would like to clean the connector before it gets worse. Hopefully the pins didn't break off yet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Taking part the connector should be no problem. The problem will be if any of the pins are broken. If they are you will be stuck since putting everything back in working order is not an option. If the pins are broken, the pan needs to be dropped and a new harness installed(and fluid). It took an experienced trannie guy 3+ hours to do the work.
I would bring it to a good transmission shop with a print out showing the pictures to have it checked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Started at the transmission and looked for the wires(small) coming out then follow them to the connector. If you click on tundra trans in the first post, you will get a clear picture of the connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem got worse so I went under the truck and found the connector. It's not that easy to get at but I managed to get it off. The female connector had some green crud on it and was wet. I looked at the male connector with a mirror and saw the same thing. I sprayed both connectors with electrical cleaner but it was hard for me to get a good look at either connector so not sure if one of the male pins broke off inside the female harness. If this does not work I guess I have to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have a family memeber that is a ase master mechanic. it went to school and took so many courses every year, for years, & the dealership continues to be sent to school for the GM corp. he is there special tranny guy. he is the only 1 in the dealership that does tranny's. sadly i wonder why toyota doesn't do this.

i just asked him yesterday if he would be able to rebuild my tranny. he said yes, and he would be also able to make it better. i have to find that link to i belive a high performence tranny or torque convertor. i forget the link. i'd like to save a file on toyota tundra trannys. this way i can bring up all the info, when it is time to rebuild it, if it isn't this part.

he also said he belive 's he could put a shift kit in, & if there is a high performence convertor, etc. more like a racing tranny set up. it might give me a additional edge. this is all info that could benifit all of us, down the road. if we learn what we can do, when the time comes. i wonder if the 4g's is for a brand new tranny?
the thing with junk yard/salvage yards is this: do we really know how many miles they already have. it could go sooner than later.
gorilla

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like the pins did break off inside the female connector...not much I can do now. I'm afraid to drive the truck so I'm going to have it towed to a local trans shop. I told him what the problem was and he seemed to understand right away. When you say drop the "pan" you mean the transmission fluid pan? You don't have to take apart the valve body to replace the harness do you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts