Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned that I had a rough idle in my "First Impressions" post but I thought I'd gather more comments/observations with a dedicated topic. I'm differentiating now between rough idle (tach needle is actually steady) and engine shake; in other words maybe the condition is related to the mounts. Anyone? I'm at 320 miles now.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I've driven my 05 for 3-weeks now. (807 miles) From day one it has been incredibly smooth at idle and at any level of accelleration. Since you specifically asked about the motor mounts I opened the hood and looked at idle to see what was going on. My engine is dead still, silky smooth. No vibrations what so ever. Take yours to the dealer. Sounds like you may have a vacuum hose loose or maybe an ignition problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Funny, the one thing that I was looking forward to was smooth, vibration-free performance from a V-8, especially after the thrashing of the 4 banger in my Tacoma.

I'll try a fresh tank of gas and I'll check hoses, etc. Then it's off to the dealer...

Update: I just returned from a 100-mile round trip and the engine's definitely shaking more; not violently but noticably. I had a strange episode with the transmission hanging up in a gear as well. I'm a little surprised I'm not throwing any codes but that would indicate the condition isn't sensor-related I suppose. Or what I'm complaining about might be "normal" and I'm too picky! Eh, I might have a Monday morning/Friday afternoon truck. One clue is that one of the window cranks is at 11 o'clock and one at 3... Not to be dramatic, but Toyota is the one company that I've always had absolute faith in in terms of quality and reliability. I'd hate to have that trust waiver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently purchased an 04 AC V8 2WD Tundra. I noticed the shake, I thought it was in the drive line, not the engine. I started it this morning and it ran at high idle, I noticed the shaking I felt while driving. But I wasn't driving, the truck was in neutral and parking brake was on. I've got less than 500 miles on this truck.

Is there an issue with the ECU? I've looked at the TSBs listed on the NHTSA's website and nothing there other than a transmission code issue for an 04.

Denis

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
i know exactly what youre talking about, i have an 00 with the same sort of "shake"...more like a vibration you can feel if youre idling and sitting perfectly still...otherwise you cant feel it. its like a little hiccup in the idle now and then. im guessing vacuum leak myself, but havent checked the hoses yet.

-sean

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it were a vacuum leak it should throw a DTC. I'm charging my Palm up so I can hook up my code reader and check for any problems that way.

I still have a shake when driving, I was under the truck and looked at the driveshaft carrier bearing, it's not lined up (centered). It seems cocked. Sure wish they went with a single shaft instead of the two-piece design.

I'm also going to get all 4 wheels balanced, to eliminate that as a problem.

Denis

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had Discount Tires balance my Bridestone Duelers, 549 miles on truck. All four tires were out of balance, Discount had the Hunter GSP9700 balancer, one of the four tires was found to be marginal, 35lbs of road force on one side.

Now I have to chase Bridgestone for the warrantly as Toyota won't deal with it. So now I have to have a Bridgestone dealer attempt to balance the tire.

Still have a shake, took the truck to dealer to check engine for roughness.

Denis

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
it cant be driveline, it does it when idling in park...also, i didnt get a check engine when i disco-d the pcv hose to run cleaner through the engine, so it might not throw a code. ideas? it'd be nice to get the engine running smooth again.

-sean

·
Registered
417 Posts
Mine shakes at idle, you can't see it from looking at the motor, but sitting in the truck you can feel it through the steering wheel and seat.

My 2000 was the same way, I thought it was because it was old and worn out, but the new one does it too.

I actually bought new motor mounts for the old one thinking that they were worn - but the original ones were perfect.

It's funny, my old truck made all these strange noises and vibrations that becuase of the mileage I was sure were signs of imminent death. My new truck makes all the same noises, even the noise that sounds like one loud lifter that comes and goes at idle. The U-joint clunk, the vibration from the rear end while accelerating, the vibration from the rear end with a full load in the bed going over dips and rises in the pavement, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha! I thought my thread was dead and that I was the only one experiencing this degree of vibration and clunkiness. I'll be heading to the dealer this afternoon merely to document the complaint. I'm assuming that not all '05s do this and this condition might boil down to the carefullness of assembly. Sure makes the truck feel "old".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, back from the dealership and not too pleased. After a rebalance and rotation of the tires, a loosening and retightening of engine and transmission mounts as well as ujoints, the vibration that I'm feeling is worse! On the plus side, I think I've found the culprit-- granite-hard engine mounts, unless something else was disturbed in the process.

Nothing quite like loosing that new-car (truck, I know...) feeling after 1000 miles. I don't have much to compare to other than that blissfull first several hundred miles of smoothness but I'm disappointed to say the least. The truck really feels old and abused-- I'f I'd wanted that I would have bought old and abused! I'll try another dealer and see where that takes me. The thing is, I would have suggested pretty much what the tech did and short of bad mounts, I wouldn't know where else to look...

·
Registered
189 Posts
It should go away after you break it in a bit. Mine was like that too when it was new. your truck is new so your mounts are probably still really stiff, I am assuming when you went back to the Dealer they probably replaced the mounts with newer ones that are probably stiffer or tightened the ones you had on, thats why it felt worse.

To me when you cant feel your engine you end up causing problems like trying to start the engine when its already running because you cant hear or feel the engine running. So think of the shake as a human to engine diagnostic tool, HA HA...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
...have just over 800 miles and no shake. However there is some subtle weirdness that I'm attributing to the engine management (computer). I'm sure it's trying to keep fuel consumption and emissions in check in the partial throttle scenario (which could contribute to engine roughness if the programming is aggressive). I'm not a tech, so this is speculation.

And to me, there doesn't seem to be a direct relation to gas pedal position and throttle position. Since the pedal is not connected mechanically, it's using an electrical connection to drive the throttle. And I bet you a cyber nickel it running the signal through the computer and doing some analysis prior to sending the command on to the throttle.

I'm guessing the valve timing trick with the actuators is probably throwing another hoop to jump through for engine management as well.

The trans seems to be using some logic too - kinda neat when it senses I'm going down a hill and stays engaged to assist braking.

It's certainly a far cry from V8's of old with 4-barrel carbs, mechanical distributors and not a computer in sight. I like the new technology - I think it's just too cool.

If yours (roughness or shake) is that obvious, I think I'd probably drop by the dealer and let them check it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I've got 3500 miles on my '05 already which should cover break-in. I'm guessing that the tech socked the mounts down pretty good too, torque wrench be damned. Anybody know if the mounts are different on the DCs? Why they would be I can't imagine.

As for the transmission, the engine braking feature is "neat" and definitely functional on the downhills, but not having the transmission upshift on medium acceleration is another matter, something that's happened to me a few times. It seems to get confused at rolling stops (which, admittedly I do on occasion) but will clunk down into first if needed.

Still love the truck, love the way it handles, love it's capabilities but I don't expect to feel more of the V and H in NVH than in virtually any old, used truck I've ever driven.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm curious about the spring_over_axle (SOA) set-up on my Tundra. When did Toyota start using that? None of the other manufacturers are using it.

Nothing wrong with it, serious 4X4 folks build their rigs that way, looks like Toyota listened. But that set-up does handle differently, maybe that's what the shaking is all about.

Denis

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the humor-- I could use it. As for the axle behavior, that's not too bothersome but the rubberbanding in the drivetrain is kind of a surprise though probably normal.

Not a doubt in my mind that the Tundra is well-engineered, well-constructed is something else.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
it aint the driveline. what he's experiencing is coming from the engine. if youve flushed your engine with seafoam or something similar, it's a lesser vibration of that sort--feels more like a small vacuum leak than anything else. my engine mounts are fine--when the truck was new, it did not have this vibration, which makes me think it's just the truck starting to feel its 105000 miles. also to me it means theres a part i could replace or tune up that'll make the vibration go away. ideas?

-sean

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, for me, with an '05 with 3500 miles, I shouldn't need to run Seafoam or anything like that. I had thought vacuum leak at one point too but I would think that should trigger the check engine light.

However, I was driving around without door panels recently since I was in the middle of a stereo installation and I heard a sound like a small exhaust leak. Something to look into. As for the mounts, when they were adjusted at the dealer, the vibration I felt did become worse. They're probably fairly stiff and if overtorqued would cause increased vibration.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts