Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
MrDynamic said:
As for the transmission, the engine braking feature is "neat" and definitely functional on the downhills, but not having the transmission upshift on medium acceleration is another matter, something that's happened to me a few times. It seems to get confused at rolling stops (which, admittedly I do on occasion) but will clunk down into first if needed.
Thanks for sharing this experience because I thought I was losing my mind. I live in a pretty hilly development & noticed how the transmission was instinctively braking without me not even touching the pedal. My first thought was :eek:, but have now adjusted to it.

Kinda reminded me when I first started driving a stick and didn't have a clue how to downshift. :rolleyes:

Anyway....I'm wondering how neat its gonna be when the roads get slick...will it be to my advantage to have this CPU driven throttle or what?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We're in the same boat xedge; I'm hoping that the OEM Bridgestines + sand bags + posi will get me through winter. The transmission/engine braking might be an extra added attraction though I think it will be a plus.

Two vehicles ago, I had a Subaru WRX. I figured with all-season's and AWD I'd be fine in the winter. Turns out that the ABS wasn't working so hot with the OEM tires and I wound up sliding through a few intersections cursing the electronics. When I switched to snows, everything worked together.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've got about 2500 miles on my 05 and so far no signs of any vibration. I love this truck, about the only thing that kind of bugs me is the slight hesitation with the electronic throttle when starting from a complete stop, like the computer takes a half second to figure out it's time to move. :)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
PointCrossed said:
trying to start the engine when its already running because you cant hear or feel the engine running.
Non-issue on '03 and above. They've added auto-start, and if the engine is running, you can twist that key all day long and it won't engage the starter.

Of course, there have been a few times that I've sat there in a running truck wondering why I can't get it started :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Rlockyer said:
Non-issue on '03 and above. They've added auto-start, and if the engine is running, you can twist that key all day long and it won't engage the starter.

Of course, there have been a few times that I've sat there in a running truck wondering why I can't get it started :)
This feature is known as "crank-hold" which will crank over the engine for up to 25 seconds after you twist that key and let go until it starts. Pretty nifty if you ask me. :)

Also if you can't determine if the engine's already running, just look at the tachometer. ;)

Sanosuke!
Hawaii - Dec 8-15/2004
Return to Japan - April 2005

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
MrDynamic said:
I'm hoping that the OEM Bridgestines + sand bags + posi will get me through winter. The transmission/engine braking might be an extra added attraction though I think it will be a plus.
I think so too. For the first time I'm going to try the sandbag trick and run dedicated snows. I picked up a heck of a deal on a winter tire/wheel package through an online tire retailer. 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted & hunter-force balanced on steel toyota take offs w/caps & lugs shipped to my door for $676.

Anyway, don't want to take your thread in a different direction. I hope you find the source of the engine shake. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
oh thank god! I tought something was going wrong with my transmission, mine definitly goes to a lower gear on a steep incline when i get off the gas, what will they think of next!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
All-
Not sure what the vibrations are, I do know my 4.7L V8 idles very high! I'm at about 800 Miles now and it's idled high since I got it. I don't have the vibration problem as mentioned earlier but did notice the idle doesn't go away until it gets good an warm.

========================
JeffD - Would love to see shots of your sound system - send some photo's of your head unit installed, am very interested in seeing what you have done! I have an '05 Tundra with the factory JBL system w/6-disc changer. It sounds ok but I do miss my Alpine system from my Ford!:cool:

Have a great weekend!
JimN

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the "high" idle is normal. Mine has always idled above 1000 rpm when the engine is not warm.

I also have the "engine shake." I can only feel it when I am sitting still and am stopped. The shake does not go away if I rev the engine up to 2 or 3 k rpm, either. Granted, I do have a couple of modifications which could be the culprit :D . It can also be felt when I am on a very smooth highway. I have no idea what cuases it, though. I can't rembmer if I had it before the modifications or not.

edit: whoops...sorry for dredging up an old stagnant thread, forgot to look at the dates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive got 2500 miles on my '05 4.7 and mine shakes at idle sometimes too! I can look at the passenger seat and see it shake. I drove in my buddies chevy last night and his motor was silky smooth at idle. Hopefully this will go away after "break-in" cause i know the dealer will say its normal unless there is a DTC light on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an '06 V8 AC and had previously reported my experience with engine shake when new on this forum. At 5k miles the shake has gotten worse. As before, it's most notceable at 1500 rpm. Feels like an out-of-balance load in the washing machine on spin cycle. The entire cab shakes. It was looked at by the dealer at around 2500 miles and they found nothing wrong (no codes). I'm pretty sure this is related to an uneven combustion situation where fuel delivery to some cylinders may be different (rich/lean?) from the rest. I'm waiting for a TSB to come out which specifies reprogramming of the ECU. I can keep complaining about the problem to the dealer, but until a TSB is issued, there's nothing they can do about it. This V8 should be smoother than most V8s in other trucks. What's wrong with this one? I previously had an '02 Camry SE V6 and it was nothing but trouble - glad to finally get rid of it. Perhaps Toyota just isn't for me. Dare I say that I'm starting to contemplate a trade for a Dodge 1500 hemi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i know exactly what youre talking about, i have an 00 with the same sort of "shake"...more like a vibration you can feel if youre idling and sitting perfectly still...otherwise you cant feel it. its like a little hiccup in the idle now and then. im guessing vacuum leak myself, but havent checked the hoses yet.

-sean
What did you do to addres the problem sean?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a light vibration coming from the engine in the past (~130K miles) and it ended up being the rubber was slightly failing on the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley for serp belt). I replaced it and it was a lot better afterwards. You could also visually see the pulley wobbling at idle. If you can see it wobbling then that could likely be your culprit.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts