Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my junk is all worn out. Just past 210k last month, took the truck in to Brakes Plus (yeah, I know...) for a free evaulation cuz the pads were squealing anyways. They found pads are toast, rotors at wear limits, driver front caliper would not retract for new pads, left rear drum seized on, etc etc. Time for some new stuff!

I really wanted to upgrade a bit while I was at it, but could not afford either the Powerstop Z36 kit ($350-ish) or another setup that was recommend from ajusa.com (Powerstop calipers $130 each, stainless lines $50, CryoStop slotted rotors $110 each, Hawk LTS pads $85).

So I poked around and had a great result from Summit Racing. They have about the same selection as Rock Auto at similar prices, with free shipping. That saved me about $120 vs Rock Auto. Just had to wait for the free ground shipping, parts were at my house within 3 days. Ended up getting:

Powerstop Caliper pair - $130 for the set!!!!! Amazing price. Literally same price for 2 here as 1 elsewhere. Not sure how Summit missed it. Part S2713 I think.
Centrix ceramic pads - $40 - middle of the road, better than cheapies, not as good as Hawk
Bendix rotors - $27 each, cheapest I could find (w. free shipping!)
StopTech stainless lines - $50
Russell speedbleeders - $20 on Amazon.

I was out the door around $240 I think from Summit for all this. I also ended up ordering a hardware kit, not realizing that the pads came with the same set, as do the calipers. So if anyone local in the Denver metro needs caliper guide pins or springs, hit me up. You can have 'em. Local parts stores were all well over $350 for the same parts list but were the generic Autozone/Pep/Advance/etc brands so I'm happy with this price.

I will see how these parts do, I put about 3-4k average per month on, and up and down the mountains occasionally, and typically 500-1k lbs in the bed plus ladder rack. So in a word, I'm hard on brakes. When these pads wear out, or if I wind up with the dreaded rotor pulse, I have time to save up a few bucks and throw down for nicer rotors and pads. I had to spend my money on calipers and lines this time - they were required anyways so I can always swap pads/rotors later.

Here are some pics of the unboxing.

Calipers look great, have the 13WL casting mark, nicely red powercoated, hardware in place. Nice and heavy and seem to be good quality.
Pads - they are standard ceramics. I've had good experience with them as have other people I've spoken to, so for the price, I'm good with it. They also came with hardware.
Rotors - they are cheap. I don't expect anything above stock. Hopefully they don't warp too quickly.
Stainless lines - they are StopTech. Great quality.
Not sure if I will need copper washers, or new banjo bolts, etc. Have done a handful of brake jobs and I'm comfortable doing so but not on the Tundra yet.
I'm off to pick up some fluid, a few spare parts, a new line wrench, and hopefully have all the parts and crap I will need. I'll post some pics and an update later when it's complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well it's been two years since I did this, never got around to posting pictures, but if anyone is curious - still running on all these parts 50k later; brakes starting to fade just a little bit and I need to bleed. I'm sure the rotors are needed - I couldn't get them off during the above swap so I'm still using what was on there.

But very happy with the improved braking from these calipers, and the pads have done really well. Time for a change; but I've had great results from this setup. New rotors are in order as I now have a travel trailer to pull but other than that and a fluid flush, it's all still peachy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you for the follow up! I was eyeing some of those powder coated Stop Tech calipers for one of my other cars but I just couldn't see how they would be good quality at the price that they offer them for. Sounds like you've had two years of good service out of them. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time one of our fleet needs some replacement calipers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.