Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I've been lurking for a bit but thought I would add my situation to the general knowledge pool and hear what the experts think.

I bought an '06 Tundra about 3 years ago with 110K miles on it. Had the timing belt and water pump replaced right away. I've used it as my daily driver, but I don't have a long commute - it's only up to 135K now.

Just over a month ago I took it to the dealer for oil change and coolant flush. When I got it back, I noticed it smelled a little funny. From then on, when I parked facing up hill, I'd have a substantial wet spot in the driveway, dripping from where the engine bolts onto the transmission on the passenger side. It took me a while to determine that this was coolant (valve cover gaskets are also leaking). I haven't been able to verify that it leaks when parked downhill.

When I figured this out, I added distilled water to the coolant reservoir (which was pretty much empty) and called up the dealer. They didn't find any leak with the engine warm, but after keeping it overnight, they called me and said it was a head gasket leak (!).

Thoughts? Based on my internet research, this doesn't seem common at all with the 2UZ-FE engine. I'm still rather hoping that they've mis-diagnosed it and it is just a rear coolant bypass gasket leak or something. Oil is fine - not milky and I haven't noticed any unusual white smoke when starting.

I do plan to go down to the dealership Monday and ask them to show me the leak site (I hadn't been able to find it).

Questions:
1) Can you cause a head gasket leak with a (poorly executed) coolant flush? Is it just coincidence this happened after the coolant flush?
2) What should I ask them to show me to confirm that it is the head gasket (and not some other leak site)?
3) If they do demonstrate that the head gasket is the problem, what else should I have them replace while they are in there?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could be your gasket is leaking to the outside instead of the inside (good thing) As long as your oil has no milky froth and no steam from the exhaust, I would just drive it and add coolant every now and then. I doubt a coolant flush could cause a head gasket leak.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a leak in the same spot which I thought was tranny fluid at first. It turned out to be the water pump leaking onto the top of the block and then would drip off the back of the motor/tranny. It makes sense that you are getting a good drip when parked up hill. The shop I took it to had a small camera that they put in between the lower plenum and block and you could see the wet spot on top of the block from the coolant. I would have them check that area if they didn't already.

If it is the rear coolant bypass you should be able to see the dried coolant leaking from it.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Was there a solution found to the problem?

I am interested because for about 2 years now I have had a coolant smell from the engine compartment, and a slow loss of fluid. About 20 months ago I had the timing belt service done (water pump, T stat, hoses, etc) and all the coolant flushed and replaced. Not long after that I had the radiator replaced because I was smelling coolant. I don't put that many miles on the truck so I didn't notice a loss of coolant. I had one incident where I was overheating some at idle and immediately found I was low on coolant. Because of the smell and that loss I was determined to find out what was going on. I finally discovered a very small seepage point at the bottom of the radiator that my mechanic had missed.

I noticed more issues about a year ago when I drove up in the mountains during the rain while towing my work trailer. My truck got very hot so I pulled over to inspect and let it cool off a bit. I found no signs of any issues. Made it home and started doing some research. It was strange because I had made similar trips up to the mountains over a period of 5 years with zero issues.

I've read about the intake manifold seepage/leak and also head gasket leaks where the only time it leaks is when towing due to the extra pressure and strain placed on the engine. My oil is clean and no excessive moisture coming for the tail pipe. I've never had any coolant leak to the ground and I have not found any signs of coolant on the engine. And yet, I keep smelling and losing coolant. I forgot to check it on another trip down the hills and back and had an awful time with the overheating issue, while towing. Coolant level had dropped. I stopped and refilled the system. But another couple hours into the journey and I had to finish by driving at 35 MPH because my temp would run up past 210 immediately if I drove any faster even on the slightest grade. I was seeing spikes up past 235 and higher when driving at 45 - 50 going up some grades. I am a bit baffled at the moment and wondering if I have a head gasket issue or that manifold leak.

Going to take it into a local shop this week and see what they can find out for me.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Good luck sorting out your issue . . .
Thanks, I'll take any luck on I get on this one... been going on too long.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
OK well, I feel like a dunce. I took it to a mechanic. He actually did a couple of pressure tests. He found nothing the first time. But he ran the truck harder and longer and found 3 LEAKS!!!!! All from hoses. They were small and did not show up under normal conditions. They were all from hoses. One of them was at the engine so the coolant would leak down and evaporate which is why I had the smell and the leaks were so small that it took many miles of driving for the coolant level to drop significantly. So, there you have it. Jonesy!!!!!

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
OK well, I feel like a dunce. I took it to a mechanic. He actually did a couple of pressure tests. He found nothing the first time. But he ran the truck harder and longer and found 3 LEAKS!!!!! All from hoses. They were small and did not show up under normal conditions. They were all from hoses. One of them was at the engine so the coolant would leak down and evaporate which is why I had the smell and the leaks were so small that it took many miles of driving for the coolant level to drop significantly. So, there you have it. Jonesy!!!!!
Thanks for the update ! We can all learn from your experiences here.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Well, just thought I'd offer more updates.

My coolant problem is not completely solved. After taking in the truck and driving it I have experienced more coolant loss, but at a much slower rate. So the smell of coolant is not nearly as noticeable as it was before, but it's still there. Also, when I run the truck hard and/or on these hot days I will get blow back into the coolant reservoir and once in a while some spitting of coolant into the engine compartment. I haven't had a need to haul the trailer on a long distance trip. Mostly local less than 25 miles. So it hasn't been pushed real hard. Been pretty busy so I have not had a chance to get back into the mechanic to find the source...:crying:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a leak in the same spot which I thought was tranny fluid at first. It turned out to be the water pump leaking onto the top of the block and then would drip off the back of the motor/tranny. It makes sense that you are getting a good drip when parked up hill. The shop I took it to had a small camera that they put in between the lower plenum and block and you could see the wet spot on top of the block from the coolant. I would have them check that area if they didn't already.

If it is the rear coolant bypass you should be able to see the dried coolant leaking from it.
EXACT same issues 2004 sequioa. What do you do to fix it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts