Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have king coilovers installed how they come from the factory i want to get some more lift and have done the hose clamp mod on the inners. if i have not torn my boots should i change to the 930 boots or see if the clamps will hold up with the extra height? i would rather fix them before i crank the coils if im going to leak or tear the boots. i never off road the only time it sees 4wd is in the snow. what should i do?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know who came up with the whole hose clamp on the boot thing. But that is idiotic. All offense intended. Please don't put hose clamps on the boots! They are designed to slide up and down and move around. If some grease squeezes out thats a good sign that they put plenty of grease in from the factory. Putting a hose clamp on is just asking for the boots to tear. When they do tear that is when dirt and stuff gets in there and destroys the CV. If you like to replace boots and CVs then by all means.

The Diff drop would help. Also I don't recommend lifting over 2.5" to avoid problems.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You should do the 930's now if you have the time. The true desert cars do not use the inner cv boot clamp due to having alot of travel and under extreme use. Plus their cars are being torn apart every other race for prep, so it doesn't matter if there is a clamp.

I would clamp both ends of the boot, it is suppossed to be on a daily driver. The trucks, especialy being 4wd don't have enough articulation to even bother the 930 boot...I know i have longtravel on my tundra and have had the 930 boots on for 2 years with no problems.

Oh ya, while your at it you might as well get the ORS outer boots too. Kill 2 birds with one stone;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had 2.5" daystar spacers with a 1" diff. drop, and after less than 1k miles, grease was spitting out from the inner side of the inner CV boots. I left them like that and would occasionally add grease to make up for the grease that was lost, until i finally clamped the boots. In less than a month after clamping them one of the boots ripped wide open so it there was only a little piece of rubber keeping the boots from being in two pieces. But again, i see a lot of bumpy terrain that was using a lot of the suspension travel. If you cannot do it yourself, I would just wait (unless you are taking the front end apart for spome reason); it is a pita to replace the boots, and it would probably cost you a good bit of money in labor. I'd just wait and if the boots are spitting grease or tear, then replace them. A torn boot or some lost grease won't do any damage to your truck, so there is no real reason to go ahead and replace the boots other than for your peace of mind.

Oh, and as far as the boot clamps. I would loosen them so that they are about the same tightness of the factory, drive a few hundred miles and see if you are loosing any grease, if you are, then tighten them slightly more and repeat that until you are not losing grease. That will reduce the chance of your boots tearing. If you tighten them so that you are not loosing grease and they tear, then just go ahead and replace them with 930 boots.

And as far as boots tearing, I think the main reason people are having torn boots is because of the CV boot mod, in combination with rough terrain. I was losing grease for probably 25k miles until i did the cv clamps ( i did tighten the **** out of the clamps though), and the boots never tore, and then shortly after the clamps one of them ripped wide open.

If you rarely see rough terrain, you may not have any issues with teh boots tearing. Oh, and it's always good to put a coat of silicon spray on the boots every now and then

·
Registered
919 Posts
Both my boots tore with factory clamps on & diff drop...no cv boot mod. Unless you enjoy grease being flung everywhere undernieth your truck just get the 930 boots. They are 3 times more beefier than the stockers.

It is alot of work like jdeaton said, but you never have have to worry about it again. Once you get undernieth there, you will see that there is no way you can over articulate that 930 boot with factory control arms. My l/t can't even do it.

·
Forum Admin
8,265 Posts
Here's the factory boot:

Here's the Bates style 930 cv boot:

As you can see, the 930 boot is much more massive than the oem boot. I got these boots from desertkarts.com, $12/ea. :tu:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts