Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -

First, thanks for a great forum.

Second, I know very little about clutches so forgive my ignorance.

I have a 2006 SR5 access cab 6 cylinder 6-speed manual Tundra. I've had the clutch replaced twice so far and I think it may need it again now.

The first time the clutch was replaced, I'd owned the vehicle maybe 6 months and had about 32,000 miles on it. It was making a squeaking/chirping noise when the clutch pedal was not pressed down; there was no noticeable problem with the clutch except for the noise. The dealership diagnosed it as the throwout bearing and replaced the whole clutch (not the flywheel). This was in Feb 2007.

About a year later, around 55,000 miles, the chirping started again. I drove it like that for about 6 months with no problem except the irritating noise. The noise got louder and more consistent so I took it back to the dealership; this time they said that the "bell housing" was defective and was causing the throwout bearing to go out; they replaced the clutch assembly and the bell housing as well, all of it under dealer warranty. This was August or Sep 2008.

My truck is now out of warranty, and the chirping started again a couple of months ago. I've got about 81,000 miles now. Again, no performance issue, the clutch has been operating fine, its just noisy and has been getting noisier. I called the dealership and they said that to replace the clutch costs $1450 without replacing the flywheel, $1850 if they do.

I called Toyota Customer Service and talked to a case representative about the situation. I drive a lot of miles but no hills and hardly any towing and I've driven plenty of sticks before and never had this clutch problem with any other vehicle. I've also had friends ride with me to evaluate how I drive to make sure that it really isn't my driving habits that are causing this. A clutch shouldn't go out three times in 5 years.

This doesn't seem to be a common problem in Tundras, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. I told the Toyota case rep I'd like to put it back in the shop but I believe something else is causing this problem and it isn't just a normal wear issue. I'd like for them to find the cause of the problem. I love my truck but I don't want to pay 2 grand for a clutch every couple of years from now on.

So now I'm posting here to ask you, have any of you had clutch problems similar to this in any way, or heard of someone who had, or can offer any advice of any kind? All input is appreciated. Thanks again -

Pete

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having the bearing go out in the first place causes extra stress on the input shaft of the transmission. That could have caused abnormal wear in that component which allow some slop in the input shaft. This in turn will cause added stress in the throwout bearing. So...one bad throwout bearing left too long can cause damage that will shorten the life of all the proceeding throwout bearings you put in. I'm telling you this because it happened to me in a Camaro I had. I was dropping the transmission every 2 months. Not fun. I finally replaced the bearings for the input shaft and put in a kevlar throwout bushing not a needle bearing that is the norm. It has lasted forever.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would bet the squeaking / chirping sound is just the pivot where the lever action is between the throwout bearing and the slave cylinder on the throwout bearing fork. Pull back the rubber boot and look inside the bell housing and you will see basically a ball that is pivoted on. Get a small amount of high temp grease and try and get in on the pivot. I have a 2000 and it does it every once and a while usually after a lot of dirt road travel. My other smaller toyota PUs used to do this too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would bet the squeaking / chirping sound is just the pivot where the lever action is between the throwout bearing and the slave cylinder on the throwout bearing fork. Pull back the rubber boot and look inside the bell housing and you will see basically a ball that is pivoted on. Get a small amount of high temp grease and try and get in on the pivot. I have a 2000 and it does it every once and a while usually after a lot of dirt road travel. My other smaller toyota PUs used to do this too.
If the throwout bearing is riding on the aluminum transmission "snout", grease on the pivot won't prevent the throwout bearings from going bad too soon. All manual transmission Tundras have the aluminum "snout" and will eventually wear down which may cause the early throwout bearing death. ;)

Here's an image of what the sleeve kit does...and what the damaged "snout" will look like. ;)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If the noise is with the depression of the clutch when the engine is off like a squeak like mine I believe it is the pivot lubrication.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts