Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the tutoral sticky posted above but it doesn't address removing the drum from the truck. I ran into a stuck drum myself, actually both of them were stuck and I was unable to move the star adjusters through the dust covers. I did however learn something from another sites brake tutoral that I wanted to share with you guys just in case you need to do your brakes and run into the same problem.

When you pull your tire off look at the face of the drum for two threaded holes opposite of each other. Find two 2" or longer machine bolts that fit the thread. Spray wd40 or whatever penetrating oil you have on the studs and hub. Give the drum a few good whacks with a rubber mallet and then start working the bolts into the drum. They will push the drum away from the axle and off the hub. Two work better as you just take turns working them in but a single will also work but you have to keep moving it to the other hole and it takes more time to work the drum off. My shoes were all the way out to where they needed to be however there was a ton of brake dust inside the drum which I cleaned away along with all of the junk on other brake components. I inspected everything, had plenty of shoe liner left and no leaks so I put her back together. I did notice grooves in the middle of the drums from the stock shoes but I didn't turn them. I'm really thinking that a disc conversion is where I'm going next.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i've read what you posted about the 2 holes that were used to assist in drum removal. i've always found a hammer to work as well. it has never taken more than 3 or 4 good licks to loosen the drums up for removal. even on my two ton dump trucks the hammer method has been effective. perhaps it's the redneck in me... you know, getting to use that universal tool we call the hammer. HA! it's like that old saying that goes something like "you can do a lot more with a hammer and duct tape than you think you can!" i'd say baling twine ought to make the short list too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts