Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The amount of threads on this topic is ridiculous as I've reviewed them, but I'm stumped.

Background... purchased 885 coils and 5100's from wheelers and had them mount them on bottom perch. Everything I read was suggesting that the 885's would provide lift over the stock coil so there was no need to raise to a higher perch on the 5100's. Now that it's installed, I maybe got half inch of lift! I was thinking that I would wait to see how much the coil settled before deciding what to do.

What a waste of a day installing when I was still nose low at end of it. I did more reading on this last night on those running a combination of 884/885/886 OME coil and 5100 billys. Myself and Wheelers both thought the difference in coil alone between stock 06 DC and the OME885 coil would satisfy about 3" and settle in to about 2.5". Thus the reason the shock was mounted on the lowest perch. Now after seeing the results, I'll have to pay the installation costs to have a shop pull the assembly apart, move the ring up to a higher seat, reassemble, and mount back on truck. I believe if anything I gained about .5" which I still find bizarre. I'm running 265/70/17's and quick measures from bottom of fender to middle of hub were ~21" front/ ~24"rear as it sits (w/wheelers 1.5" aal). So either I was shipped the wrong coil from wheelers, or this is expected for some reason and I will have to run the 5100's on a higher setting?? Thoughts? This is truck as it sits now.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Posting an update since I'm still pursuing what the cause of the issue is.
Just had the from coilovers removed from the truck. The shop attempted to adjust the 5100 retainer clip from the bottom and move to the 4th position. When they did the coil spring bowed so bad that they wouldn't do it. They said that the coil is way too long to even adjust the 5100 up. They ended up only going up one notch from bottom. I called wheelers offroad because the receipt of my purchase shows both 5100 and 2885 coil set, but want to make sure the coil they used was the 885 because there needs to be a reason the truck can't be raised to level and why the coil bows out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just going to keep posting on this thread in hopes someone will read and assist in figuring this out. Here are some pictures of the coil with 5100 at 4th notch. The pictures of it installed is with it on the second notch.

Rough measurements from bottom of wheel opening to center of hub on drivers side. Front ~22" and rear approx 24". This is inch increase from noted previously is raising the retaining clip from bottom perch to one up. Still not level obviously.

The truck is bone stock so not sure why I'm having this issue. If I were to mount the 5100's in the factory coil I would have been level already (I believe). The receipt for the OME coil is for the 2885 pair. Does anyone else running this combination on a DC have an issue with the coil bending excessively?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adding more pictures. Does it not seem odd to anyone that the 885 coil provided maybe .5 over stock coil?? I'll keep bumping this thread till someone sees something in a picture that hopefully sees an issue and why lifting the front is so damn difficult.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Yes, something is not correct, but I am not a Bilstein user. They do not warranty this shock on the highest setting. Perhaps some spacers are needed to accomplish your goal. Or just get some coilovers

·
Registered
258 Posts
Even on the lowest ring the 5100s provide .87" lift, using stock spring. That's Bilstein's info, I've done probably every perch over several vehicles. Unless the 5100s are for a different make which they make a 5100 for every truck, I would say those are not 885s for a Tundra. They might be Tacoma 885s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for keeping this thread alive. From everything I understand a 885 coil is the same no matter what application. Its just in the mount that would need to be changed to fit. A 2885 coil is 395mm in length with a coil/bar diameter of 16.5mm. Since Wheelers assembled the unit with isolators and top mount and shipped, I never had a chance to measure the coil length free. I suppose I can jack up the truck and let one side hang free and measure. I dont own a caliper to measure the coil diameter.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey thanks for keeping this thread alive. From everything I understand a 885 coil is the same no matter what application. Its just in the mount that would need to be changed to fit. A 2885 coil is 395mm in length with a coil/bar diameter of 16.5mm. Since Wheelers assembled the unit with isolators and top mount and shipped, I never had a chance to measure the coil length free. I suppose I can jack up the truck and let one side hang free and measure. I dont own a caliper to measure the coil diameter.
I thought the ome coils had different spring rates for different applications, though the dimensions remained the same(height, diam, coil width). I could be wrong, I usually source Toyota coils for my lifts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am about to do this lift. Any updates? My plan is to get Bilstein 24-188265 and OME 2885. I'll assemble them myself, but I need to know what setting to put the struts on. I'd like to get 2.5". I also have 2006 DC 4WD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just ordered the 6112's with springs already installed from Wheeler's. Should be here on Friday. I just paid the $100 installation bc labor was only $20 and I would have had to rent a spring compressor and it comes with all new mounting hardware. My truck has 170,000 miles on it. I'll be able to do the bolt on in the driveway!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the OME Front coil lift from toytec on my 2002 access cab 4.7. They advertise the lift providing around 2.5 inches of lift. I’ve been running this lift for a couple months now and I actually got 3 inches. I took a measurement the other day and each side was 23.5 from center of hub to the bottom of the fender flare. The coils come pre assembled with 885 coils and OME shocks. For those of you thinking about purchasing OME Coils for your tundra and achieving 2.5-3 inches of lift I highly recommend going this route.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like you might have received the wrong shocks. I’d see if there’s a part number on the actual shock you can reference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The amount of threads on this topic is ridiculous as I've reviewed them, but I'm stumped.

Background... purchased 885 coils and 5100's from wheelers and had them mount them on bottom perch. Everything I read was suggesting that the 885's would provide lift over the stock coil so there was no need to raise to a higher perch on the 5100's. Now that it's installed, I maybe got half inch of lift! I was thinking that I would wait to see how much the coil settled before deciding what to do.

What a waste of a day installing when I was still nose low at end of it. I did more reading on this last night on those running a combination of 884/885/886 OME coil and 5100 billys. Myself and Wheelers both thought the difference in coil alone between stock 06 DC and the OME885 coil would satisfy about 3" and settle in to about 2.5". Thus the reason the shock was mounted on the lowest perch. Now after seeing the results, I'll have to pay the installation costs to have a shop pull the assembly apart, move the ring up to a higher seat, reassemble, and mount back on truck. I believe if anything I gained about .5" which I still find bizarre. I'm running 265/70/17's and quick measures from bottom of fender to middle of hub were ~21" front/ ~24"rear as it sits (w/wheelers 1.5" aal). So either I was shipped the wrong coil from wheelers, or this is expected for some reason and I will have to run the 5100's on a higher setting?? Thoughts? This is truck as it sits now.

i know this is quite an old post. And if there hasn’t been a post in 10 months.
But hoping to get some info on how the 5100/2885 setup has worked out on the double cab tundras.
I currently have 5100s set at the 3rd notch on my

1 - 15 of 15 Posts