Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an '06 Double Cab with a dinged bumper. Just priced one at the local Toyota Parts department. They want $450 for just the metal piece, which is all I require. Has anyone gone through this before? I'm looking for a more cost effective solution. Are the aftermarket pieces of decent quality?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can try the bumper doctor. Don't know anything about them. Saw them working on one at the Chevy dealer last week.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called a couple of local Toyota parts departments and one finally matched the internet price, so I'm happy. Will be installing it next week.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I had to replace my bumper, LH tail light and LH step pad about 2 months ago. I called a local scrap yard and got brand new aftermarket parts. They all fit well and the quality seems to be as good as OEM. The surprise for me was when I opened the box the bumper came in it was a complete bumper with everything. Bumper, reinforcement, all 3 step pads, licence plate lamps, brackets and all new hardware. I never even needed the reinforcement or the hardware but it was a nice surprise.
The dealer was quoting me $850 just for the bumper and tail light and that did not include any step pads or brackets. They would have charged well over $1000 for everything I got. Total price was $350. It took a few weeks to get the parts but the savings were worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to replace my bumper, LH tail light and LH step pad about 2 months ago. I called a local scrap yard and got brand new aftermarket parts. They all fit well and the quality seems to be as good as OEM. The surprise for me was when I opened the box the bumper came in it was a complete bumper with everything. Bumper, reinforcement, all 3 step pads, licence plate lamps, brackets and all new hardware. I never even needed the reinforcement or the hardware but it was a nice surprise.
The dealer was quoting me $850 just for the bumper and tail light and that did not include any step pads or brackets. They would have charged well over $1000 for everything I got. Total price was $350. It took a few weeks to get the parts but the savings were worth it.

Hi Cheapskate, thought I would bump this thread and see if you are still around. I was wondering how your aftermarket OE style replacement rear bumper is holding up?

My OE bumper got hammered at Target today, so I am just starting to see what my options are. I will need at least a bumper (black painted for my DC Limited) and the right top plate (the top plastic trim piece). But, the OE paint (black/dark gray over plastic nearly the same color; why did Toyota even paint the plastic??) on all the plastic top trim is peeling. So, when I see the complete aftermarket rear bumper, black painted with all new trim and new brackets and hardware selling for about what I am going to pay just for a new Toyota bumper and the one new plastic trim piece, it makes me want to try the aftermarket piece.

I was going to post a new post asking if anyone had used one of the aftermarket OE style replacement complete, but I found this one so I figured I would try asking here.

Was the aftermarket bumper equivalent in weight/gage, and did it fit well? Anything obviously different than an OE Toyota bumper?

I don't need an aftermarket HD bumper, no rock crawling for me... I like the looks of the factory one, except for the paint peeling off the plastic pieces. So I am hoping someone has used the aftermarket OE-style rear bumper and liked it.

TIA!
Eric

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Cheapskate, thought I would bump this thread and see if you are still around. I was wondering how your aftermarket OE style replacement rear bumper is holding up?

My OE bumper got hammered at Target today, so I am just starting to see what my options are. I will need at least a bumper (black painted for my DC Limited) and the right top plate (the top plastic trim piece). But, the OE paint (black/dark gray over plastic nearly the same color; why did Toyota even paint the plastic??) on all the plastic top trim is peeling. So, when I see the complete aftermarket rear bumper, black painted with all new trim and new brackets and hardware selling for about what I am going to pay just for a new Toyota bumper and the one new plastic trim piece, it makes me want to try the aftermarket piece.

I was going to post a new post asking if anyone had used one of the aftermarket OE style replacement complete, but I found this one so I figured I would try asking here.

Was the aftermarket bumper equivalent in weight/gage, and did it fit well? Anything obviously different than an OE Toyota bumper?

I don't need an aftermarket HD bumper, no rock crawling for me... I like the looks of the factory one, except for the paint peeling off the plastic pieces. So I am hoping someone has used the aftermarket OE-style rear bumper and liked it.

TIA!
Eric
Hey Eric, yes I am here regualarly. I have absolutely no complaints about buying after market rear bumper. I was somewhat hesitant since I have to deal with salt on the roads and was worried it would rust out after the first winter. So far, so good. The only thing wrong, sort of, is the LH plastic step pad does not overlap far enough with the centre one. You cant really tell unless you get up close to it. Given the cost, it does not bother me at all. It felt about the same as the stock one as far as weight so I am guessing same guage metal. I used the old hardware as much as I could though. None of the bolts were rusting so they have a good coating on them. I did not want to use the aftermarket ones and have them start to rust and spread that to the chrome. I cant say what a painted one will be like but I dont imagine it would be much different. Overall fit and alignment to the truck was bang on. I am very happy with it.
One thing you may want to do is open the box wherever you buy it and make sure everything is ok. When I bought mine and got it home some of the locking tabs for the step pads were broken. They would not just replace the pads because of how they ordered it. They said I had to pack it up and send it all back just to get new pads. I was already driving around for 2 weeks without the bumper and told them I did not want to wait. They said keep it and we'll take another $70 off the price or bring it all back. I took the cash. There were only a few clips broken and it is holding fine. I kept my stock ones in case one of these breaks. I was going to just put on the new LH one, which was the only one I actually needed, but it looked a little off with one brand new one and 2 older faded ones so I put on all 3.
Removal and install of the new one should be easy and only take about an hour or so. Given your location you probably deal with salt too so I would say start spraying the bolts now so that everything comes off easy when you are ready. Let me know if you have any more questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts