Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does, anyone know much much Gallons of Gas is left in the Tank when meter is showed "E".. I know some cars have 3 gallons left when it is at "E" level..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm guessing about 2 and a half gallons, this was my method...take a look at the fuel meter, it has a total of 5 large dashes. It has a 13.2 gallon tank, so you take 13.2 divided by 5 and you get 2.64. This could represent about how many gallons each large dash stands for. If you start with the lowest dash, on E, imagine that is 2.64 gallons. Then, for each large dash after that, add 2.64, and you'll get 13.2, the tank capacity. Is this as clear as mud??!!
Bottom line, you've probably got between 2-3 gallons left when the needle is on E. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
"It has a 13.2 gallon tank, so you take 13.2 divided by 5 and you get 2.64."

That is not the most reliable method because of how the fuel gauge in cars work. I don't know the technical details, but it is not a linear measurment.

You will notice that on all cars (as far as I know) it takes longer to get from Full to 1/2 a tank then it takes to get from 1/2 to empty.
So in reality you would be seeing more than 2.64 above 1/2 and less than 2.64 below 1/2.

In my Corrola (03 LE), when the low fuel light comes on (before it hits E), I have about 3 gallons left.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts