Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2006 Toyota Sequioa SR5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so I have a 2006 Toyota Sequioa with the Jbl system and I was wanting to replace all the speakers with aftermarket ones and I do believe there is 14 speakers in total in this car or I might be wrong I don’t know but I want to figure out how many actual speakers are in this car and if anyone has the wiring diagram and the exact location of where the speakers are that’d be great thank you in advanced guys I appreciate it!!

· Registered
4,207 Posts
From what others have said, give Crutchfield a call, tell them what you have and what you want, they are apparently really well known for good customer service. They should be able to get you all the info you need.

· Registered
2001 Tree
41 Posts
I'm in the middle of a stereo upgrade on my 2001 at this very moment, search youtube for "five star stereo sequoia" - absolutely superb video by those guys, be sure to give them a thumbs up. They are working on the earlier model with two amps, you have a single combined amp that's easier to reach in the center console, I think everything else is pretty similar though.

Here's a wiring guide, but beware if it's the same as the 2004 and earlier, what's labeled as tweeter is actually tweeter/mid and the woofer is by itself.
Font Number Parallel Pattern

· Registered
2006 Toyota Sequioa SR5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a 2006 Sequoia Limited........6 speakers only......One in each door (4) and one in front driver's & passengers winglets ( little tweeters ) (2) ......
not sure where you got 14....
I’m slow bro lol but once I get home ima get right to that because damn that blown sub is getting on my nerves and I might be tripping but I think I’ve seen a speaker by the foot rest of the passenger side like I said I might be tripping but I’m going to check thank you for the diagram sir

· Registered
2001 Tree
41 Posts
i have a 2006 Sequoia Limited........6 speakers only......One in each door (4) and one in front driver's & passengers winglets ( little tweeters ) (2) ......
not sure where you got 14....
Toyota claims 10 total: 3 in each front door - hi-mid-lo; and 2 in each rear door - hi-lo (coaxial, so really just 1).

· Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
501 Posts
Note that the factory JBL amp has two sets of speaker wires for the front doors. One set of wires powers the tweeters in the corner of the door, and the other set powers the lower door speakers. I'd recommend installing a pair of coaxial speakers in the rear doors, and a set of component speakers (separate woofer and tweeter) in the front doors. I installed these originally without the crossovers but then later, I replaced the factory amp and installed the crossovers under the center console.

· Registered
2001 Tree
41 Posts
Where are the JBL crossovers for the front doors? Is it integrated in the JBL amp? Just making sure there's not the JBL crossover lurking somewhere else, like in the door somewhere...
It's built into the amp, and I'll state again because there is some false info above: the crossover split is the woofer on one channel and the mid/tweeter on the other. Toyota ran the wires in a funny way and mislabeled some wiring diagrams, so it throws a lot of people off.

· Registered
55 Posts
It's built into the amp, and I'll state again because there is some false info above: the crossover split is the woofer on one channel and the mid/tweeter on the other. Toyota ran the wires in a funny way and mislabeled some wiring diagrams, so it throws a lot of people off.
Right, I was looking at the wires in the door last night and I just wanted to make sure that I can use the two pairs without interference from another hidden crossover. I'll be cutting off all the weird wiring at the door.

I think I have enough room for the new crossovers north of the JBL amp location and I'm putting a small class D amp where the JBL was. I didn't want class D, but I don't have anywhere good to put a class A/B other than in the WAY back driver's side storage compartment where the center headrest is and I don't want to run wires that far.

· Registered
2001 Tree
41 Posts
Right, I was looking at the wires in the door last night and I just wanted to make sure that I can use the two pairs without interference from another hidden crossover. I'll be cutting off all the weird wiring at the door.

I think I have enough room for the new crossovers north of the JBL amp location and I'm putting a small class D amp where the JBL was. I didn't want class D, but I don't have anywhere good to put a class A/B other than in the WAY back driver's side storage compartment where the center headrest is and I don't want to run wires that far.
I doubt you'll have any trouble. There's also a little room under the center console and under the front seats, but not a ton. My 4-ch A-B wouldn't fit under the front passenger seat like I wanted, so I just used the power in the head unit (also a class D). I fancy myself a bit of an audiophile, and honestly, it's really tough to hear the difference in fidelity between two class D amps inside a car. In my living room, I can discern some differences between say an IR2092 and a TPA3116, while in a car, they are identical to me. Even an A-B amp to a D is only noticeable to me if decent speakers are in the mix. All the different materials and surfaces inside a vehicle make for a really wild audio environment that's incredibly difficult to predict, so you might even prefer the sound of lower-fidelity power.

· Registered
55 Posts
I doubt you'll have any trouble. There's also a little room under the center console and under the front seats, but not a ton. My 4-ch A-B wouldn't fit under the front passenger seat like I wanted, so I just used the power in the head unit (also a class D). I fancy myself a bit of an audiophile, and honestly, it's really tough to hear the difference in fidelity between two class D amps inside a car. In my living room, I can discern some differences between say an IR2092 and a TPA3116, while in a car, they are identical to me. Even an A-B amp to a D is only noticeable to me if decent speakers are in the mix. All the different materials and surfaces inside a vehicle make for a really wild audio environment that's incredibly difficult to predict, so you might even prefer the sound of lower-fidelity power.
I was really into car audio back in the heyday of the 90s; most of the good stuff is all gone now: A/D/S, Nakamichi, Carver, etc. and what remains isn't what it used to be (Soundstream, all the Arizona amps like PPI, Orion, probably even Rockord Fosgate) ... I settled for a Soundstream class D, mainly because the specs were better than everyone else - which also makes me highly suspicious, but I'll try it. Everyone else specs class D amps at 1% THD at RMS, and the Soundstream says 0.05% THD at RMS - yeah, probably not. We'll see.

· Registered
4,207 Posts
I was really into car audio back in the heyday of the 90s; most of the good stuff is all gone now: A/D/S, Nakamichi, Carver, etc. and what remains isn't what it used to be (Soundstream, all the Arizona amps like PPI, Orion, probably even Rockord Fosgate) ... I settled for a Soundstream class D, mainly because the specs were better than everyone else - which also makes me highly suspicious, but I'll try it. Everyone else specs class D amps at 1% THD at RMS, and the Soundstream says 0.05% THD at RMS - yeah, probably not. We'll see.
You kind of made me laugh there. Pretty sure I still have 2 Fosgate Punch 45's in a box in my garage from the early 90's. Those things would shake your fillings out with what I had.
Someone once told me they're worth a good buck per the usual saying "they dont make them like they used to".
Those days are long gone, much like my hair.

· Registered
15 Posts
Just something to be wary of...I did an audio upgrade in my 2012 Tundra w/JBL. What I found was that the original JBL speakers in the doors are 2 ohm, and they are driven by an amp under the passenger seat. (The dash speakers are driven by the head unit.) This is done so a small crappy amp can drive them. If you upgrade the speakers to 4 ohm, you'll need twice the power for the same volume. I don't know if this same setup was used for your model, but just be aware that an amp upgrade might be necessary to achieve any decent sound level. Naturally, once you upgrade the speakers and amp, you'll need to upgrade the wiring for the extra power. It's one of those big projects -- once you dive in, there's no reason not to do it the right way. Maybe your system is not like this, but you should check it before you start investing money into parts.

· Registered
2001 Tree
41 Posts
Just something to be wary of...I did an audio upgrade in my 2012 Tundra w/JBL. What I found was that the original JBL speakers in the doors are 2 ohm, and they are driven by an amp under the passenger seat. (The dash speakers are driven by the head unit.) This is done so a small crappy amp can drive them. If you upgrade the speakers to 4 ohm, you'll need twice the power for the same volume. I don't know if this same setup was used for your model, but just be aware that an amp upgrade might be necessary to achieve any decent sound level. Naturally, once you upgrade the speakers and amp, you'll need to upgrade the wiring for the extra power. It's one of those big projects -- once you dive in, there's no reason not to do it the right way. Maybe your system is not like this, but you should check it before you start investing money into parts.
Yup, the JBL on our 1st gens are also 2 ohm up front, I think the rear are 4 ohm. Consensus is to throw out the factory amp(s) if you replace the factory head unit. Upgrading the wires to the door speakers is completely unnecessary in almost all cases, they are large enough to carry hundreds of watts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.