Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 06 limited with 131k miles. In pretty good shape. Mechanic saying the rack and pinion is bad. I asked what happens I don't fix it now and he said to keep a check on the power steering fluid. Repair cost is $750 if they do it. Any suggestions? Any risks if I don't fix?

Anything else I should have checked out? This is my first Sequoia. I have an 05 4runner that is a beast!!

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
494 Posts
My rack and pinion was leaking out of the driver's side boot. I assume it had a bad seal. I bought a new Cardone rack and pinion from O'Reilly (with a lifetime warranty) and installed it myself. It wasn't that hard, but it was a bit messy. There are 4 bolts securing the rack to the frame, 1 12mm bolt securing the shaft to the pinion, 1 12mm bolt holding the hard line bracket to the top of the rack, 2 P/S fluid lines, 2 tie rod ends to unscrew. I needed a quart of ATF to refill the system. It's important to keep the steering wheel locked when you replace the rack and pinion so that you don't break the clock spring in the steering wheel.

Other maintenance items you should check are all of the fluids (diffs, transfer case, brakes, engine, transmission) and verify the last time the timing belt was replaced.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Or start off with some Lucas power steering stop leak. Way cheaper and less time consuming than replacing the rack. And if it doesnt work you get your money back so kind of a no brainer to try if you ask me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts