Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 Taco seems to want to go every way but straight down the road. I have noticed this being more pronounced in high winds and im guessing because my 4-door is so wide and no so aerodynamic. But even when there is little or no wind it still wants to pull to the right, then to the left, then to the right, then to the left...sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like your camber is out. Take it in for an alignment.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My 06 Taco seems to want to go every way but straight down the road. I have noticed this being more pronounced in high winds and im guessing because my 4-door is so wide and no so aerodynamic. But even when there is little or no wind it still wants to pull to the right, then to the left, then to the right, then to the left...sound familiar to anyone?
Mine does the same thing but only on poorly paved roads it seems. On good pavement no problem at all. I don't know if it's just the tires or what. In my honda car it is very solid on the road, but that's a trait of honda cars IMO anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is the same, a double cab. On good road, it is perfect. Soon as the pavement gets a little rough, or a little wind, you fight it a lot.

At the same time, I'm kind of use to it, I had a Focus before, and that car is well known for being very bad in cross winds. Very tall and broad cross section on a very light car. I had a station wagon before with no issues, but it weight a good 1/2 ton more. So it's kinda like my previous car. I don't see any bad tread wear pointing to a problem, and like I say, on good pavement it's fine. It's just when you leave Ideal things go bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't noticed any more issues than any other higher sitting vehicle I have driven. In fact I think my 07 Tacoma access cab is a bit more stable than my gf's 06 Xterra. Its a bit more jittery on bumpy pavement, but I expect that without any weight over the rear wheels. It seems to track straight unless its windy.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine is the same, a double cab. On good road, it is perfect. Soon as the pavement gets a little rough, or a little wind, you fight it a lot.

At the same time, I'm kind of use to it, I had a Focus before, and that car is well known for being very bad in cross winds. Very tall and broad cross section on a very light car. I had a station wagon before with no issues, but it weight a good 1/2 ton more. So it's kinda like my previous car. I don't see any bad tread wear pointing to a problem, and like I say, on good pavement it's fine. It's just when you leave Ideal things go bad.
Glad to hear you experience the same as I do on poor roads (so I can tell my wife I'm not crazy). If I put a leer cap on it it could be worse in the wind. But it's not a big deal I guess and I don't think there is anything wrong with the truck either. I aslo think different tires may be different as well.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mine is solid as a rock on and off the road.

I have my camber set at -1*
And the Caster set at 2.4*

The caster is what makes you truck stable at speed.

Good luck!!
is this what you specifically had it set @?? and is this on a non lifted truck,like my 06 prerunner with stock suspension? if so,i may get this done also, cause it does like to wonder all over the road,especially with the crazy winds we have been having here as of late!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I put a leer cap on it it could be worse in the wind.
My access cab is better in the cross wind with the cap. I infer I was getting some lift on the back end without a cap; and the truck was skittish. With the cap, the truck handles much better in all types of wind.

·
Registered
247 Posts
is this what you specifically had it set @?? and is this on a non lifted truck,like my 06 prerunner with stock suspension? if so,i may get this done also, cause it does like to wonder all over the road,especially with the crazy winds we have been having here as of late!!
My truck has a 3" lift and because I had them set it to the ideal settings. My truck handles better than when it was stock!!

I would highly recommend these settings!!

Read this.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

·
Registered
447 Posts
My truck has a 3" lift and because I had them set it to the ideal settings. My truck handles better than when it was stock!!

I would highly recommend these settings!!

Read this.
Tire Tech - Alignment

that was a good read,toku!! what im asking is since mine is not lifted at all (stock prerunner suspension) will it still be able to be set up like this (camber @ -1, and caster @ 2.4) since it is stock?, and will this wear the tires out faster than the way it would normally be set up?? reason im asking is because im getting close to putting some revo's on my ride, and i want them to last! thanks man

·
Registered
247 Posts
that was a good read,toku!! what im asking is since mine is not lifted at all (stock prerunner suspension) will it still be able to be set up like this (camber @ -1, and caster @ 2.4) since it is stock?, and will this wear the tires out faster than the way it would normally be set up?? reason im asking is because im getting close to putting some revo's on my ride, and i want them to last! thanks man
As for wear issue NO! setting your truck like this will not wear your tires any faster. The thing that will wear your tires is BAD Toe, and not rotating your tires often.

The camber at -1* may play a small role in wear but the benefits of handling to me out weigh the neg.

The Caster doesn't really affect wear. It basically deals with how stable your truck or car will be at speed. The more caster the stiffer your steering will be.

It might wear your tires faster because your truck will feels so stable that you drive faster!!LOL!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
As for wear issue NO! setting your truck like this will not wear your tires any faster. The thing that will wear your tires is BAD Toe, and not rotating your tires often.

The camber at -1* may play a small role in wear but the benefits of handling to me out weigh the neg.

The Caster doesn't really affect wear. It basically deals with how stable your truck or car will be at speed. The more caster the stiffer your steering will be.

It might wear your tires faster because your truck will feels so stable that you drive faster!!LOL!!

Good luck!
i appreciate it,man!:tu: when i get the revo's put on in a month or two, im gonna have them set my caster and camber like this, should take care of the problem, especially since ill be getting rid of those pos rugged trails!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
i appreciate it,man!:tu: when i get the revo's put on in a month or two, im gonna have them set my caster and camber like this, should take care of the problem, especially since ill be getting rid of those pos rugged trails!!
Those rugged trails are wothless in an kind of snow or mud. ok for rain maybe. what tire are you going with? I am planning on the BFG mud terrain

·
Registered
447 Posts
Those rugged trails are wothless in an kind of snow or mud. ok for rain maybe. what tire are you going with? I am planning on the BFG mud terrain
yeah, those rugged trails are worthless, (as far as im concerned),for just about anything now. right at 20k miles, and they are just about shot!!:eek: i am going with the bridgestone dueler revos, very popular tire for on and off road, and they say they are awesome in the rain!! should be a very nice difference!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts