Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Anyone have detailed directions and oil filter parts/supplies needed?

EDJ
uh, dont have written directions, but ill tell ya how its done.
1)put drain pan under truck
2)use a 14mm socket and ratchet to loosen the oil drain plug(be sure to remove your dipstick before you do this....well i do anyway)
3)drain oil into pan for about 10 minutes then replace plug(put dipstick back in)
4)unscrew oil filter(place small cup under filter,and take off small nipple cover so you dont get oil all over the place)
5)put new filter on
6)put 5.5 quarts of oil(5w30) into crankcase
7)let it sit a few minutes then check oil level on dipstick

basically what you need is...14 mm socket and ratchet,oil filter wrench(if you cant loosen it by hand), 6 quarts of a 5w30 motor oil(ill be switching to mobil1 full synthetic @ 20k)(you'll only use 5.5 quarts) and an oil filter( mobil1 filter # m1-102, oem filter from dealership #90915-yzzd3) and some paper towels if it gets messy for ya!! hope this helps!! oh yeah, drive your truck up on some ramps, as this will make getting to the drain plug a little easier!:cool:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! Sounds easy like the 01 Tundra oil changes were (minus the difficulty accessing the oil filter through the small access hole in the plastic skid plate).

I know it sounded like an amateur basic question, but based on the Pain In The A$$ that is the 06 Avalon oil change http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf, I'm pleased the Tacoma's oil change is so basic.

Thx,

EDJ

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You forgot step 6.25: start engine
step 6.50: wait for guage to move/light to go off
step 6.75: stop engine, wait 2-3 min, check and top off if
needed. Then go to step 7:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ran a length of 1/4 fuel line from the bottom oil spout to the front drivers side wheel well. 5/16 would of been a better choice, but I've got 30 feet of 1/4.

Also I've used the m1-301, m1-103, and m1-102 oil filters as well as OEM.

Toyota runs a good deal on oil filters 2 for less than 10 bucks.:tu:

5.5 for non oil cooled engines, 6 for oil cooled engines.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know what size fitted oil-filter wrench (preferably the kind I can attach to my ratchet) is used on the 06 Tacos? Also, Toyota Part Number for oil filter?

TIA,

EDJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
nevermind original post

Changing the oil is pretty easy. The only hard time I had was removing the oil filter. This was the first oil change, so it was on pretty tight from the factory. There's also not much room for Filter pliars unless you remove the plastic engine cover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts