Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody disappointed with the tailgate on the new tacoma's? I stand on the tailgate when its down and can feel the plastic bend under my feet. I mentioned that to the salesman when I went back in for an oil change and killing some time looking at the new tundras (nice trucks). As he was walking away in a rush to do something he said , "yeah, I recommend putting something over it when loading heavier loads. IT WILL BEND" Made me think he already seen cases of it happening?
I been thinking about taking the tailgate plastic off to see if anything can be beefed up underneath?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Anybody disappointed with the tailgate on the new tacoma's? I stand on the tailgate when its down and can feel the plastic bend under my feet. I mentioned that to the salesman when I went back in for an oil change and killing some time looking at the new tundras (nice trucks). As he was walking away in a rush to do something he said , "yeah, I recommend putting something over it when loading heavier loads. IT WILL BEND" Made me think he already seen cases of it happening?
I been thinking about taking the tailgate plastic off to see if anything can be beefed up underneath?
yeah, these tailgates are weak for sure! if you dont find anything on this forum, go to toyotanation and do a tailgate search,should have just what youre looking for;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The whole plastic bed in them tacoma are pos:mad:. I would of prefer a steel bed with rhino lining instead.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Taco tailgate has been.....let's say "lightly built" since the first Taco in late 1995. The first, and last "heavy" load I carried in the back was an 800 pound touring motorcycle. The rear tire rested square in the middle of the open tailgate and rode there for 200 miles.

There is a little "Tab" inside the tailgate ('95 Taco) between the tailgate frame and the outer skin which is probably designed to prevent flexing. You shouldn't be able to see the skin flex when you casually push on it with your hand. The material IS light. With the weight of the motorcycle above the tab, it "registered" through to the outer skin and left a permanant crease which was noticable when viewed at certain angles. I didn't notice this until I "De-Badged" the Toyota Decal a couple of months later. :mad: I should have put at least a 2x6 under the full length of the bike under the tires. TacoGuy

·
Registered
447 Posts
The whole plastic bed in them tacoma are pos:mad:. I would of prefer a steel bed with rhino lining instead.
i like the composite bed, and i gotta say that its pretty durable as well. im gonna put some roll on bed liner material on the ribs so stuff doesnt slide around, but i havent had any problems with the bad itself being weak!(and i do happen to throw some heavy stuff in there....especially firewood!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts