Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I bought an '06 Tundra SR5 AC and only got one key, black rubber head - aka Master Key (has the transponder). According to my owners manual and all the info I can find on the web my truck requires a transponder key.

I ordered a couple of blank keys off the web just to have a couple of spare door keys, figured I'd deal with getting transponders later.

I cut the "regular" keys and just for giggles tried one in the ignition...VRROOOOM! The truck started right up. I thought "duh, the original master is in my pocket and is getting the signal to the ignition".

Put the original key over on the work bench 15 feet away. Tried the "regular" key...VRROOOM!

Why is this working? My advice, before you go buy a "transponder" key from the dealer and get it programmed, try a $2 key and just see if it works.

Anyone care to tell me what's happening?
Thanks, Flat.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
CN models have the chip and US don't.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i was wondering about this. my 1st plastic oem key broke, where it came off my key ring. i had a friend use electrical tape & than melted it. it became hard as a rock. sealing the key. i put it on my other remote ring. since than i have been using the solid brass looking key that the dealership gave me.

when i read this i wondered if i had a chip, but if i did, how would the other key work perfectly fine.
i can just assume i have no chip. now i know why, the U.S. made models don't. good info.
good thing, i don't carry a extra key. maybe i should start to be on the safe side just in case.

next time i go into my dealership i'm going to ask them about this.

maybe have them make me a few keys. to be on the safe side.
gorilla

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Puffnstuff - you nailed it. As I re-read my owners manual I see the mention that US vehicles don't use the transponder. It doesn't jump out at you, but its there.

Thanks for the help.
Flat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts