Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck has a little over 1,000 miles now, i been driving normal to see what i can get on a full tank. I do about 60% freeway and 40% street and last time i got about 315 miles and filled up 22 gallons, thats 14mpg. window sticker says 15 city and 18 highway... so if i do 60/40 i should be atleast getting 16-17!! i dont tow anything, just myself, work and back. ANy suggestions? reseting ECU, giving some time for engine to break in some more? or maybe something else? im gonna go get a ram diesel and get 20mpg after i break it in lol!! or i can go get a little streetbike :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just started getting mileage on my 06 DC 4X4...about 1400 miles right now. Everytime I filled up, up to this week, was 14 , 14.5 , 14.8...but this week was 17.2, probably due to warmer weather and tryig to keep it under 65 mph.

·
Registered
797 Posts
get used to it :(
I get 12-13mpg in the winter and 13-14 in the summer..
I do over 1/2 my miles on the highway too...
I did a road trip and got exactly 15mpg and that was 100% on the highway and I've never seen 15 again...

I drive pretty easy too....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have 06 DC 4x2, and mostly drive myself to and from work. Primarily mixed driving, meaning town and country roads. I find if I drive real nice and slow/smooth, I get 15.8 or so. If I drive a little more aggresively, I get...15.4. Now that I have a few miles on it, I get around 16. Not that much of a difference.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have 06 DC 4X4 w 3500 mi. So far averaging only 14.3 w/ half-city half-highway daily commute back and forth.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Gas milage is one of the biggest complaints you'll find on this forum. I love the truck, but hate the milage. I want my Tundra hybrid. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I got 14.8 average this week. 315 miles before the low fuel light came on. I was shocked!

I have almost 21K on my truck now too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
2004 DC 4X4= 15 mpg

Full size, crew cab, 4 wheel drive truck. It is what it is. If you want gas mileage you'd better get a Prius!:D

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm averaging right around 14mpg, and have hit 17mpg on long highway only trips. My 5.3L Chevy averaged 16mpg and would hit 20mpg on long trips. I drive the same way/same places. The Tundra has slightly taller gears (3.92 vs 3.73) and requires a bit more revving to get at the power so I'm guessing those two factors are enough to quantify the mpg difference. The Chevy was a little more relaxed and really liked to be in the tallest gear, which is good for mpg but not performance. Tit for tat. The Fords are the ones with dismal power and dismal economy, so at least we're not double-whammied.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well yea but the window sticker says 15/18 so i was expecting to be between the 2 numbers since im about half and half highway street. i wonder how they get these results, do they have these grandma employees who are on call, they call them and they have a job for a week driving a tundra??

·
Registered
313 Posts
well yea but the window sticker says 15/18 so i was expecting to be between the 2 numbers since im about half and half highway street. i wonder how they get these results, do they have these grandma employees who are on call, they call them and they have a job for a week driving a tundra??
I never rely on what the sticker says. Those are considered only for "perfect" driving condition.:eek: :eek: . Bottom line I enjoy having and driving my truck :D:p . Just my .02

·
Registered
61 Posts
I get between 15 and 16 mpg and I do 30 to 40% street and the rest is Hwy on ave.

I just got back from at 1300 mile trip up to Portland OR. with the family and all our stuff (approx. 600 lbs. in the truck) and I got 14.9 flying on the way up 75 to 90 mph :devil: and on the way back we took our time and got 16.78 mpg.

My step-dad who drives REALLY mellow (should read: at or below the speed limit :td: )has an 06' DC SR5 2wd with retrackable bed cover and he gets 17 to 21 mpg. :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was doing some math on this recently and came up with an answer that I would have saved about 68 dollars in the past month had my truck been getting an average of 20 MPG. The mileage in this spreadsheet includes about 50/50 highway/city driving plus a 1000-ish mile trip to L.A. and back.

Is it worth the cost? I think so, but this is a matter of opinion.

FWIW, a quick glance at the other truck boards report a range of MPG for their trucks:
Tacoma - 15-20, varies with auto vs. stick and engine size.
Titan - 12-18

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Tundra has never been good with gas. My 01 Access Cab V8 got about 14 around town and 21 on the highway. My 05 DC gets about the same. 14 around town and 20 on the highway.

Just owning the truck and enjoying it is fine with me. There really is nothing else out there that I want or that would get better MPG's

·
Registered
971 Posts
get used to it :(
I get 12-13mpg in the winter and 13-14 in the summer..
I do over 1/2 my miles on the highway too...
I did a road trip and got exactly 15mpg and that was 100% on the highway and I've never seen 15 again...

I drive pretty easy too....
Yep, what he said.:cry: I hold absolutly NO faith in the EPA mileage ratings. My 05 Tundra ac 4x4 will NOT get what they rate it at, no matter what conditions or what speed I drive, it will NOT do it plain and simple. As far as the magical mileage increase after breakin, don't count on much of an increase there either. When my truck was brand new, the first couple of thousand KMS I could almost see the fuel gauge moving then it improved slightly and I was getting about 10 or 11 MPG city and about 15 to 16 tops, on the highway, now after 25,000 KMS on the clock it is still getting the same mileage. I am also very particular about keeping the air filter clean and tires aired up properly and also use synth. oil in the engine and most of the drivetrain. Yes driving habits do affect mileage but in my expereince with my Tundra it does not make a huge difference, it just gets what it gets and that's it.:( This is also my biggest complaint with my Tundra, if it will only get 16 MPG they should SAY it gets 16 MPG:mad: If you read all the fuel mileage threads on the Tundra you will see a wide range of figures which leads me to believe that people are doing the math differently, and or, there is quite a variation in various individual but otherwise identical Tundra models. IMO the 1st Gen Tundra is NOT a huge, heavy truck and should get better mileage than it does. Especially when the Silverado and the new 07 Tundra are doing better and the 07 Tundra is bigger and weighs 1000 lbs more with 100 more HP. I know it is what it is and I don't expect 40 MPG BUT when I was buying it I really did think it would do a little better on mileage than it is currently getting and now with gas being over $4.00 a gallon "$101.9 per litre" here.:eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 06 automatic and get 15 in town and 22 highway. That I think is the best I will ever get. It has about 900 miles on it. Now its to the shop for AC issues. Compressor comes on and off and an get a thumping sound under the dash. Any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is an interesting link regarding the window sticker fuel mileage numbers:

Fueleconomy.gov

And be glad you didn't buy a Jeep Commander. Friend reports 9 mpg from their hemi engine.

chris

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Here is an interesting link regarding the window sticker fuel mileage numbers:

Fueleconomy.gov

And be glad you didn't buy a Jeep Commander. Friend reports 9 mpg from their hemi engine.

chris
That's great site!

I've been driving trucks for 30 years. I can't remember when they started doing the EPA ratings, but I can tell you that I have NEVER gotten the published mpg for any vehicle I've driven. I've owned Ford, Chevy, GMC (never a Dodge) and they've all been short on mpg. And I'm a very moderate driver. Okay, I'm an old fart! Enjoy the truck for what it is, a truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought an '06 Access Cab with 14k miles and my first mileage estimate was 19.6 mpg, 80% of which was highway driving. Looking at these figures perhaps I made an error in my calculations, will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My last tank got me 347 miles, and I was able to put in almost 24 gallons. It averaged out to ~14.5 mpg. I've got an 06 DC 4x4 SR5. I do mostly city driving, hitting lights and stop signs every half mile. I don't mind putting in extra fuel if this thing would go 400 miles. Most of the time, I'm lucky to get slightly over 300 miles when I'm not squirting every last drop into the tank.

My 1998 F150 extended cab V6 4x2 got 14mpg, city or highway. I was expecting to get 15-17 mpg with this truck. I drive it easy. It is a HUGE disappointment to struggle to get 14.5 driving like granny.

One thing that hurts is the crew cab, and the other is the 4x4. It's a long, heavy truck with a steep raked windshield.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts