Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 Tundra (2wd access cab) needs to have the ball joints replaced again. It has 57k miles and the recall work was done just under a year after purchase. This was discovered when I was having new tires installed Saturday and the tire guy said that it was odd for the ball joints to be worn out already. Is this unusual?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL Actually, he does install them (Firestone). IIRC, they are the lower ball joints. He showed me how the wheels wobbled and said the ball joints and possibly the control arms (?) were bad. I took it to the dealership this morning since I thought this might be related to the recall. The service guy just called and confirmed that the ball joints needed replacing and an alignment. He also said that since the recall work was already done (July '07), the recall wasn't applicable. The bill is $700 (including the $89 alignment).

The Firestone guy said it was very odd for them to wear this soon yet he didn't know that they had already been replaced once. I'm just wondering if this is a continuation of the recall defect

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Now I wonder if they just did the inspection when the recall was done and there was no sign of a problem at that time. Or if they did an actual replacement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a lift? Jump your tuck often? It is possible the lowers are bad. I wore down a set in less than 15k miles with lots of hard off-road abuse.

Now, I'd suggest doing it yourself. This is a relatively easy procedure with the right tools and cold beers.
Nope, nothing off-road at all. Thanks but I needed the truck the next day for a trip and had the dealer do the work. I don't mind paying for legitimate repairs as long as that's the case here. I think I'll at least take you up on the cold beer part :)

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
My '06 Tundra (2wd access cab) needs to have the ball joints replaced again. It has 57k miles and the recall work was done just under a year after purchase. This was discovered when I was having new tires installed Saturday and the tire guy said that it was odd for the ball joints to be worn out already. Is this unusual?
Did you have any abnormal tire wear?

·
Registered
374 Posts
No abnormal tire wear. These are the original tires & have 57k miles on them. The wear looks even but its just about time to replace them

Thanks,
Jim
I still need to recheck my ball joints, but I was just curious if my tire wear might be due to bad ball joints rather than the alignment going out again. I had it done at the dealer last time, and I should probably go to a shop I trust a little more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
57K and his ball joints had to or possibly had to be replaced by Toyota in a recall and then less than a year later they are shot? I think Toyota has a problem, warranty or no warranty, recall time limit or no recall time limit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts