Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Tundra DC and have been wanting to put a unichip in it for a while. Has anybody had any experience with the 06 vvti and the unichip? i know some owners of 01 and 02 tundras noticed some nice gains, but im not sure how the new engines will deal with the chip. Any input would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I'm curious about this as well and hope that someone will step up with some info on this device. I'd love to be able to hook up a predator, hypertech or superchips tuner however they don't make anything for our trucks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know i would really like superchips to test with our trucks, a friend of mine put one on his silverado 15000 after some headers and duals and what a difference it made..i talked to the owner of a truck shop near where i live and he told me that give it about 2 years and there'll be alot more out there for our trucks b/c of toyotas growing popularity..but who wants to wait??

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Why do you suppose there is so little performance parts for the 4.7? Not enough of us to justify their development expense, or is the engine already well optimized (i.e. not much extra power to be had)?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have searched the Internet, talked to the ToyotaWorld parts department and my mechanic about perf mods, chips, superchargers etc and there is nothing that 2005 - 2006 owners can do.

However, Toyota has squeezed a sizable amount or horsepower out of thier engines. Mess with the set-up and you may end up with an un-tuned truck.

Aftermarket headers? Toyota told me go ahead but IT WILL VOID YOUR EXHAUST WARRANTY. And if you have a 2006 like mine you may not want to do that this early on.

I have installed the TRD cat back duals and gained 4.2 % horsepower.

Bottom line is there are not enough Toyotas out there to make it worth anyone's while.

Someday soon I hope that Toyota will offer bolt on perf mod parts and/or start offering a wider range of truck options.

I'm sure that there are owners of earlier Trucks out there that disagree but us late model owners are SOL.

Hope this helps, any other opinions and suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good point. i guess you could also say that toyota has already retuned the engine and components to get max power. I mean looking at the early tundras that are alot lower in hp and tq numbers compared to the 05 and 06 models, toyota obviously made some changes that worked. Another thing i find interesting is that on Unichips site where they show the Dyno tests for different set ups with the unichip (stock, intake, intake and catback, etc), the highest power numbers in both tq and hp are made with the stock tundra and the unichip. but id still like to hear from someone who has installed the unichip on an 05 or 06

·
Registered
391 Posts
So no TRD supercharger for the '05 & '06 V8?

I have to say this, though - I just pulled a 19' TT up through the Sierras for the last 6 days and I was frankly very impressed at how my '05 4WD DC did for an "underpowered" truck. :p

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
When I had my silverado w/5.3 the single best mod I did was the superchips powertuner max which made a huge difference all the way around. Now I'm not looking to race or anything but it would be nice to see the same kind of attention being paid to our trucks. Using an ODB2 tuner is almost painless and requires very little skill to use apart from attaching the cable to the port.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Unichip Performance Chip
just give these guys a call if ya just wanta chip and ask them what ya need to know before ya purchase? lotta info if ya dig around this page and the price has went down from 835.00 buck to the price listed which is a big reduction!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
wasn't there something about the VVT-i engines being either fully incompatible or somewhat incompatible with chips and such? i remember reading such posts, but im not too sure. please correct me on this one.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Maybe thats why people have written reviews that were not so favorable but thats a lotta money anyway. IF YA WANTA RACE CAR BUY ONE!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe thats why people have written reviews that were not so favorable but thats a lotta money anyway. IF YA WANTA RACE CAR BUY ONE!!
power isn't always used to win races, maybe some of us use it to pull our 20'+ trailers and be able to pull with traffc.... :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unichip Performance Chip
just give these guys a call if ya just wanta chip and ask them what ya need to know before ya purchase? lotta info if ya dig around this page and the price has went down from 835.00 buck to the price listed which is a big reduction!!
Yeah I looked at that and several other after market perf mods but everytime I show my mechanic and Toyota a new perf mod they keep telling me DON'T TOUCH YOUR TRUCK....

I will however start touching it after the warranty wears out IF TRD and/or Toyota blesses them off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea thats what the guy who works at the truckshop near my house told me too...Tundras with the vvt'i run best completely stock. he said sure putting on intake or exhaust gives you hp, but thats not what gives our trucks the power its the torque, and any mods you do hurt your torque. If it wasnt for the growling sound that my intake gives me, id be going back to stock in a heatbeat. On unichip's dynamometers they got the most power out of the 06's with a stock set up or only a cat back with the unichip..they got 330 tq and 300 hp with stock or cat back, and with intake and catback they got 315 tq and 300 hp, and with intake, raps, exhaust, and headers they only got like 290 tq and 270 hp...obviously the more you do to our trucks the more were just hurting them. i guess the only improvements would be the unichip, which shows no hp or tq loss and some decent gains (not sure for 700 its worth it), or a supercharger.... start savin up now

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
today i talked to someone from superchips, and asked them about them ever coming out with a chip for our trucks. he told me it was not in their future plans to develope anything for foreign trucks, especially the toyota engins with the vvt'i....o well

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
today i talked to someone from superchips, and asked them about them ever coming out with a chip for our trucks. he told me it was not in their future plans to develope anything for foreign trucks, especially the toyota engins with the vvt'i....o well
haha that's good news, saves me about $800 in financial planning.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea, i put the jet chip in both my friends chevy tahoe and in another's Jeep grand cherokee. In the tahoe the chip really helped in high rpms and pulls ALOT harder. However after putting it in the jeep i did not notice much of a difference other than it shifted at a higher rpm. The jeep is an 05 and the tahoe is a 01. I think that the chips help the older engines alot more simply because the manufacturer hasnt completely finished refining the engines. For example i think the jet chip would help an 01 tundra alot more than an 06 simply because toyota has made changes since 01 to produce the most power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts