Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone try to tell me whats wrong? my 06 tundra lunges when i come to a complete stop. feels like someone has just rear ended me! checked the rear brakes and have just completed complete front brake job. problem still continues... any help please?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
lube your drive line. if it still happens, you have to remove you slip yoke and grind the splines, then repack with grease.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can anyone try to tell me whats wrong? my 06 tundra lunges when i come to a complete stop. feels like someone has just rear ended me! checked the rear brakes and have just completed complete front brake job. problem still continues... any help please?

This is not uncommon, do a search and you'll find plenty of posts about it. Best thing I've found is to lube the heck out of your propeller shaft. Some have posted other suggestions as well. I haven't been successful in removing it altogether but lubing does help.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have had 3 Tundras, all 4X4 ( a 2003 and 2 2006s) every one of them had that "thunk" happen when stopping.

I did lube the drive shaft and the problem never occurred again on each of them.

Make sure you use the proper grease ( Moly/lithium or such ) and grease every zerk

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the grease fittings are only found on 4WD trucks. Mine is 2WD and I have the same problem. Could it be that there is more than one cause for this anomaly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the grease fittings are only found on 4WD trucks. Mine is 2WD and I have the same problem. Could it be that there is more than one cause for this anomaly.

I thought the same thing. I also will get pretty good clunk sitting at stop lights on occasion...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah you know a funny thing happened today after my earlier post. i went and bought the grease and a gun. crawled under the truck and couldn't find any grease points! guess i should have searched for more threads! to bad i have a 2wd.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's a thought. Is your climate control knob on defrost? I notice that when I am at a complete stop and the compressor kicks on, you get that same lunge as the rpm goes up slightly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here's a thought. Is your climate control know on defrost? I notice that when I am at a complete stop and the compressor kicks on, you get that same lunge as the rpm goes up slightly.
I get the same thing on my 2WD when the compressor kicks in, but not when the ac/defrost are off.

My solution is to hold the brake pedal down harder at stop lights or shift into neutral.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I get the same thing on my 2WD when the compressor kicks in, but not when the ac/defrost are off.

My solution is to hold the brake pedal down harder at stop lights or shift into neutral.
+1.

He said 'lunge', not 'thunk'.

My '05 DC does it regularly. Especially because I seem to spend a lot of time sitting at stop lights.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Damn, don't Toyota's ever stop going forward???

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yeah I know what he's talking about and mine does it too when the compressor kicks on. I think that toyota should reprogram the brakes to apply harder before the compressor raises the engine rpm. I also think they should do away with the silly two stage crap. Just give me maximum braking when I press on the pedal hard.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad I read this thread. i have the same issue with my '06, both lunging and clunking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have both the Idle increase when the compressor cycles and the thunk. The idle increase is common in all cars, it just appears more pronounced in the Tundras, both my 02 and 05 do it. On the thunk problem it feels as if the transmission is downshifting into first gear just as you start to let off the brake pedal. I assume that the brake light switch didn't start the down shift sequence when first applied. The brake light switch has 4 wires, 2 for the brake light signal and 2 for the transmission. Both my Tundras are 4WD, but only the 05 does it, and I lube the prop shafts every 5k miles when I change the oil. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have both the Idle increase when the compressor cycles and the thunk. The idle increase is common in all cars, it just appears more pronounced in the Tundras, both my 02 and 05 do it. On the thunk problem it feels as if the transmission is downshifting into first gear just as you start to let off the brake pedal. I assume that the brake light switch didn't start the down shift sequence when first applied. The brake light switch has 4 wires, 2 for the brake light signal and 2 for the transmission. Both my Tundras are 4WD, but only the 05 does it, and I lube the prop shafts every 5k miles when I change the oil. Any thoughts.
The brake switch controls trans downshift?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The brake light switch has 4 pins in a row on the double cab, the outside pins 1 & 4 are for the transmission, with the switch extended the pins should be a closed circuit and pushed in should be a open circuit, and just the opposite for the middle two pins that operate the brake lights. The Access Cab has a different brake switch which has a square switch with two rows of two pins, the top row which are wider pins are for the transmission, the bottom are the brake light, the test is the same for both switch's. information found in diagnostic repair for auto transmission in factory repair manual vol 1 DI-1206, 05 Tundra repair manuals.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The brake switch signals the ECM to cancel operation of lock-up clutch to prevent the engine from stalling. DI 1184.

The ECM controls the trans shifts using inputs from the output shaft speed sensor and input speed sensor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts