Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I may be trading in my Craperado (blue taco in avatar is long gone... :( ) for an 06 Tundra Limited TRD OR with 28k miles on it. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? Frame rust, common problems, etc.?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD with 55k miles. I previously owned a 2002 Tundra AC 2WD. I love the 06 - everything I could ask for in a truck. I had the ball joint recall done a few weeks ago. Great solid truck. You wont be disappointed. The only drawback I found, was trying to find one to buy!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Gotta love the V8!
I enjoy it everytime I smash the gas pedal!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
06 / late model Gen-1s basically have all the kinks ironed out by then. You're gonna love it. I bought mine with 29K miles last year. Check for rust if it came from a northern state. TPMS is the only hiccup I've encountered in first year of ownership.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Buy stock in a gas station.

I have an 05 D/C (bought new) and it appears that I'll be giving it to my youngest son when he gets his drivers license next April. At that time it'll have around 140,000 miles on it. It's been an amazing vehicle and I'll hate to see him treat it like a 16 year old is prone to do.
How will I replace it? I'm going to do my best to find a low mileage 06 D/C Limited with a sunroof.

I've never had a better vehicle and I've had a few in my 51 years.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Certainly look for frame rust. Not sure how much salt they use out by the shore, but inland here even my '06 is showing signs of rust, especially on the welds. Nothing that can't be cured w/ some time and paint, though.

Other than that, check on the ball joint recall (even if it hasn't been done it should still be free under the recall). I can't think of anything else to look out for as these are pretty solid trucks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! Your input is invaluable! Looks like we've ironed out the deal and I'll be heading there on Wednesday to solidify things. Hopefully my next post will have pictures of my new truck.. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I sold my 2001 Silverado and purchased my 06 Tundta new. I love the truck except for the driveline clunk. If the rear yoke on the drive shaft was stainless steel, you might not get the noise. As for rust underneath, There is some minor surface rust which all vehicles get. For that, I spray about 3 cans of Fluid Film on the underside of the chassis and on the rust. It seems to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts