Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got this 2006 access cab tundra and I'm doing the usual checking oil and air filter and pretending I'm real mechanical and I notice no transmission fluid dipstick and no mention of it in the owners manual WTF? how do you check it? I'm really looking forward to the answer( I'm sure I will look like a dipstick!!!!)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, no dip stick in 05 & 06 tundra's.
your right.
no worrys. unless you see a leak. it's a sealed unit.
i heard you can go some say 60,000 ,some say 100,000 miles before you need to change it.
who knows. i will when it time, have my dealership do it.
i also heard horror storys of owners trying to save some money. and ruining there tranny.
not worth the extra, at least for me.
gorilla

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Toyota uses a transmission fluid called Toyota WS (World Standard) that doesn't required changing. However, I'm not sure the rest of the world has been informed of the new standard. And the transmission is a sealed unit, as mentioned above. So there is no need or method to check it during your typical maintenance intervals. The service manual does call out an inspection at 100k miles. Check the http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, glad you confirmed what i said. i persoanlly thought it was 100,000 miles. but i wasn't 100% sure.
thanks, points given, :ts::first:
gorilla

Toyota uses a transmission fluid called Toyota WS (World Standard) that doesn't required changing. However, I'm not sure the rest of the world has been informed of the new standard. And the transmission is a sealed unit, as mentioned above. So there is no need or method to check it during your typical maintenance intervals. The service manual does call out an inspection at 100k miles. Check the Toyota Parts and Service

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, I never heard of a tranny with no dipstick before , is this a common thing with new vehicles. ( been driving a 91 ford ranger for 19 years) anyone out there change the fluid just because early?:ts:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
From the way i read this if you TOW the fluid should be changed at 60K miles per Toyota where it says Special Operating Conditions ie TOWING?
Toyota Parts and Service

Why would anyone think a tranny fluid is bullet proof? Even synthetic WS Toyota fluid will break down just like any other fluid. Dealerships do not want to purchase the fluid exchangers or they are too expensive to buy? have not figured out that one yet but anyone that thinks they can Tow/Haul heavy loads and not smoke the tranny fluid will probably be changing a tranny if you do not do it around 60K mark and that is just my 2 cent!
The dipstick was removed because Toyota felt fewer transmissions would be messed up if fewer people(DIYR's) had their hands on them and this would send the customer to the dealership for the check or fluid replacement! Well some of the Dealerships for some reason have told customers that this is a sealed system which is just not true and that is SAD!! The other sad thing is you have to do it per this FSM or it will not be serviced properly and SST's are required to do this! So i would suggest taking it to a Dealership and find a Master Tech that knows how to do this and get it done properly!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just had mine changed again at 91k miles. It takes 16 qts. of the new tranny fluid. Doesn't seem to be a true DIY job anymore. Still it is better than buying a new transmission.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is a way to check and fill yourself.

Bolt on side of trans, tucked up there on passenger side, lets you pump fluid in. And bolt on bottom of pan, pull it and when oil starts dripping, its full. (no i'm not talking about the drain either)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I never heard of a tranny with no dipstick before , is this a common thing with new vehicles. ( been driving a 91 ford ranger for 19 years) anyone out there change the fluid just because early?:ts:
I am assuming you just bought the truck since you are just asking about the dipstick now. I did the same thing when I bought my truck 2 years ago. I had my fluid changed just after I bought it since I bought it from a dealer and had no clue how it was abused before I got it. Unless you know the person you got it from you have no way of telling how it was used. Just for peace of mind you may want to have the fluid changed.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
This topic should reallllly be a sticky somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I was surprised to see no DS as well. I purchased my truck with 48k miles. I wanted to do a full service just because I did not know how the truck was used. There was no way I was going to wait until 100k to change mine. It is totally possible to do it yourself. You just need some patience and time. As stated there are two plugs on the bottom of the trans pan. One is the drain the other is an over flow. You remove the over flow plug and pump in trans fluid to fill to proper level. The temp of the trans is supposed to be between 115F and 130F when checking the level. IMO it is totally lame that they would do this.

When I flushed my trans I pumped in roughly 16 or so by the time I was finished. If you do this yourself make sure you get the proper rated fluid. WS. I used Amsoils.

I bought an extra trans pan and will be working on a mod to change this ridiculous process. I am attempting to figure out a way to do a no drill procedure. Unfortunately it got placed on the back burner because I got kind of busy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts