Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my new to me Tundra didn't have cruise. No problem I thought, I'll install and after market. Bought the 250-1731 and got it in a couple days ago. Here is a link to the install manual that came in the kit. http://www.rostra.com/pdf/250-1731_Form5156.pdf Quite possible the worst manual I've ever attempted to use. Fast forward to now and I am stumped. Considering I'm probably an above average mechanic/technician this really sucks. Truck is sitting with glove box out, drivers kick panel off and steering panel covers off and I don't know how the hell to complete this install. If anybody has successfully installed this thing and can help me out I'd be most appreciative. I have the switch installed under the airbag and think I need to add a couple wires. One going to the ECM and another to a ground and run them to a plug under the steering column.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why don't you just add the factory pieces? It takes a few minutes and your done.

Cruise Control Switch..........84632-34011

Cruise Control Wire.............84633-34010

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you just add the factory pieces? It takes a few minutes and your done.

Cruise Control Switch..........84632-34011

Cruise Control Wire.............84633-34010
Wasn't aware that it could be that easy :) I'll give this a look! Thanks.

After another full day of trying to make heads or tails from the Rostra unit. I give up. Absolute crap documentation. A shame as I think its basically getting a couple wires where they need to be. 1 ground and another to the ECM. I have the ground in where I THINK it should be but the documentation has me taking the other wire to an ECM location and connector that I DON'T have. :mad: So until I get better info I'm pulling it back out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For giggles today I called a local dealer and asked if I could have cruise control installed. According to them, Toyota doesn't make a kit and no they couldn't install cruise on it.

I've managed to come across a 2006 Tundra electrical service manual. Going to study that and see what the factory circuits look like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Rostra yesterday. I was surprised that I had a technician on the line in short order and I could tell he knew what he was doing. First concern was the question "Who told you that kit would work on an 06" My response was the literature on your website. I also didn't like the statement. "I've never seen that kit on an 06." Still no solution but I do feel a bit better in that we both agreed that the install instructions are not right. They do not give the correct ECM plugin. I'm patiently waiting for a call back from Rostra with where to pin at the ECM. Keeping my fingers crossed. After a lot of study the install should be stupid easy. A 2 wire circuit, Ground on and the other to the PCM. Rostra needs someone else writing their install manuals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, just in case anyone is following now or may search in the future. Rostra did not call me back. After studying the Toyota electrical schematics and the Rostra manual I tore back into it last night and made the final connections. It literally is just a 2 wire circuit. One ground down to drivers kick panel, the other to pin 2 of the E4 connector of the ECU. I did that, verified continuity through the circuit. It didn't work.

Anybody know if all ECU's have the logic in them for cruise control operation irregardless of installed options? In the Toyota schematics it showed hardwiring for brake cruise cut, the cruise light in the instrument cluster. Are all these present in all vehicles irregardless of installed options? Are there different part numbers in the cruise control stalk from model to model. Different part numbers?

I may try the old style kit from Rostra. The one with RF control.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I added cruise all I did was add a wire and the stalk. The base model instrument cluster doesn't have a "cruise" light to turn on. I Moved a wire in the cluster to turn on the limited slip light. Here is a link and a post I made last year.

Adding cruise on 2005 Taco?
These pictures are of a tacoma but every thing goes together the same way. I didn't even disconnect the air bag I held it with one hand and did the switch with my other hand.
When you get done if the cruise light comes on you're done:tu: But if it doesn't the cruise still works but you have no indicator.:td:

Here is a couple of pms I sent that describes what I did for a light.

I moved the wire on the cluster harness from A3 to A7 which turns on the limited slip light. That is'nt all that hard to do either. Remove the 4 bolts on the lower dash panel. Three screws on the sterring column cover. Two screws on the cluster bezel. Four screws on the cluster itself and two harnesses. The bottom of the big harness there is a flat rectangular locking "tab" that holds all the wires in the plug. Pick that up (actually down cause its on the bottom) with tiny screwdriver then pick the release for the single wire and move it to the A7 spot. This was the hardest part because I didn't see the "tab" on the bottom and I couldn't get the wire out. But once I released the tab it was easy to release the wire. Any more questions just ask. John

The above was from an earlier pm. There are two plugs on the back of the instrument cluster the larger of the two has the wire that i moved. It is I believe grey/black the third from the left on the top row if you are looking at the front (flat) side of the plug. There is a rectangular release tab on the bottom of that plug maybe 1/4 inch wide by 1 1/2 long that you need to pop down on the sides and then there is a small single release that you need to push up then you can pull the wire out of the plug. Then you move it to the seventh slot from the left which is blank. I hope that helps. It is hard to discribe by memory but it wasn't to hard.

I hope that helps if not I guess I could take It apart again and take pics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I added cruise all I did was add a wire and the stalk. The base model instrument cluster doesn't have a "cruise" light to turn on. I Moved a wire in the cluster to turn on the limited slip light. Here is a link and a post I made last year.

Adding cruise on 2005 Taco?
These pictures are of a tacoma but every thing goes together the same way. I didn't even disconnect the air bag I held it with one hand and did the switch with my other hand.
When you get done if the cruise light comes on you're done:tu: But if it doesn't the cruise still works but you have no indicator.:td:

Here is a couple of pms I sent that describes what I did for a light.

I moved the wire on the cluster harness from A3 to A7 which turns on the limited slip light. That is'nt all that hard to do either. Remove the 4 bolts on the lower dash panel. Three screws on the sterring column cover. Two screws on the cluster bezel. Four screws on the cluster itself and two harnesses. The bottom of the big harness there is a flat rectangular locking "tab" that holds all the wires in the plug. Pick that up (actually down cause its on the bottom) with tiny screwdriver then pick the release for the single wire and move it to the A7 spot. This was the hardest part because I didn't see the "tab" on the bottom and I couldn't get the wire out. But once I released the tab it was easy to release the wire. Any more questions just ask. John

The above was from an earlier pm. There are two plugs on the back of the instrument cluster the larger of the two has the wire that i moved. It is I believe grey/black the third from the left on the top row if you are looking at the front (flat) side of the plug. There is a rectangular release tab on the bottom of that plug maybe 1/4 inch wide by 1 1/2 long that you need to pop down on the sides and then there is a small single release that you need to push up then you can pull the wire out of the plug. Then you move it to the seventh slot from the left which is blank. I hope that helps. It is hard to discribe by memory but it wasn't to hard.

I hope that helps if not I guess I could take It apart again and take pics.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know my cluster doesn't have the cruise light. I gave that a guess and took the truck for a test drive anyway.... with no cruise light coming on. Made sure to get above 30mph to test whether it was working and it wasn't . No need to tear back into yours and take pics. Getting it working is the main thing. I can live without the cruise light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update to this one. I finally bought another Rostra Kit, the part# 250-1779. It's the one with an RF module on the wheel and a controller installed under the dash. Installed it today and works just fine. Not the OEM look I wanted but at least my foot won't cramp on the long hauls now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts