Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06' Tundra V8 4.7L with 54k has been acting a bit funny at stops and stoplights. For some reason when I stop then let off the brakes, the truck makes a thunk that feels like a fender bender. It Feels like the transmission jerks when it engages to 1st gear.

Is this common? My old 00' and 02'(V6) never really did that.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Is it 4X4 or 4X2? If it's 4X4, try greasing the driveshaft slip yoke at the rear diff. I think some on here have also found the tranny cross member loose on 4X2s. Do a search for driveline clunk and you should find all kinds of info.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi thanks, tried to give you points, but the old spead some around happened.
i seen this thread many times. i never knew what it was. i thought it was like the old days when the motor or tranny mount was broken. when you stopped, it fell back into place. than when you step on the gas, it moves or lifts up again. this i thought was from what i read, was just normal on our tundra's.
thanks, i'm going to have it checked.
sorry i couldn't give you points,
well deserved to the point.
gorilla

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it 4X4 or 4X2? If it's 4X4, try greasing the driveshaft slip yoke at the rear diff. I think some on here have also found the tranny cross member loose on 4X2s. Do a search for driveline clunk and you should find all kinds of info.
It's a 4x2 I might have thought it was the transmission goin out but damn at 54k? lol

Thanks!

hi thanks, tried to give you points, but the old spead some around happened.
i seen this thread many times. i never knew what it was. i thought it was like the old days when the motor or tranny mount was broken. when you stopped, it fell back into place. than when you step on the gas, it moves or lifts up again. this i thought was from what i read, was just normal on our tundra's.
thanks, i'm going to have it checked.
sorry i couldn't give you points,
well deserved to the point.
gorilla
Thanks Gorilla! I Thought it might be a serious problem but it shifts right and doesn't really have a problem just that clunk think gets me a little worried that i was in an accident or tranny is screwed! :confused:

But thanks for the points thing! It's all good i'll take points to my heart LMFAO!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had the same problem on my truck and due to it I had the following items replaced per warranty to try and resolve the problem.

1. Driveshaft
2. Tranny Output Shaft
2. Carrier Bearing
3. Tranny Support
4. Rearend
5. Rear brakes (hubs and shoes)

I also had the transmission replaced 10k miles ago due to other problems.

Now 2 years later i still have the clunk at redlights.

All i can say to the OP good luck finding out and if you do please let me know. My truck is no longer under warranty so no more guessing on someone elses dime.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
^^Holy crap!^^ I can't believe they replaced all those parts for you. From what I've heard, most dealers say the clunk is normal and won't do anything.

·
Registered
415 Posts
^^Holy crap!^^ I can't believe they replaced all those parts for you. From what I've heard, most dealers say the clunk is normal and won't do anything.
Yeah unfortinately this dealer loves me. When you buy 38 4wd Tacomas from them in 2 yrs for my company they try to do anything to keep me happy so i milked it for as long as I could but still deal with the irritating clunk everyday.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Yeah unfortinately this dealer loves me. When you buy 38 4wd Tacomas from them in 2 yrs for my company they try to do anything to keep me happy so i milked it for as long as I could but still deal with the irritating clunk everyday.
Oh, that helps.:tu: Unfortunately the fix for the 4WD clunk doesn't work on 2WD.:td:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm definitely out of warranty, I guess I'll have to live with it.... Fine with me, truck runs just fine....

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know I'm new on this site but here's what stopped my 06 DC from doing it.... I just installed a Daystar leveling kit with add-a-leaf in the back this past weekend. I've driven roughly 500 miles so far and it hasn't done it at all. I think it is due to the extra, stiffer leaf in the back, my .02

·
Registered
64 Posts
My truck did the same about 6-8 months ago, and I took to the dealership expecting the worse...got a call 45 minutes later it was a loose tranny mount and fixed. They did not charge me and I haven't heard clunk since.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My truck did the same about 6-8 months ago, and I took to the dealership expecting the worse...got a call 45 minutes later it was a loose tranny mount and fixed. They did not charge me and I haven't heard clunk since.
I have had the "thump" since ive owned my truck. 06 DC 2WD and have searched hi and low to try and figure out the cause. After hearing about the rear tranny mount issues i was thinking about ordering a new one and DIYing it. After reading the above post I went out and took a look at the bolts to check for proper torque. As it turns out the four bolts that attach the bottom of the mount to the cross member were loose. Two of them took about 3 turns apiece. There are cutouts to access these bolts from the bottom of the crossmember BTW. This seemed to be the culprit. No more thump after stops. So thanks for the info and I hope this helps other non 4x4 owners,
Paul

·
Registered
211 Posts
I get a "thunk" too sometimes when stopped at redlights, but it doesn't occur when I am letting off the brakes and starting to accelerate, just sitting there with my foot on the brake. Feels like getting tapped by another car from behind. Only happens when the A/C is on, so in all likelihood it is due to the compressor cycling on.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get a "thunk" too sometimes when stopped at redlights, but it doesn't occur when I am letting off the brakes and starting to accelerate, just sitting there with my foot on the brake. Feels like getting tapped by another car from behind. Only happens when the A/C is on, so in all likelihood it is due to the compressor cycling on.
:first:

YESSSSSSS!!! I tried testing it again and your right!! It is the a/c, never happens with ac off, when on it did it! Points sent!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow, nice find. I didn't think the torqey v8's would be affected by this. I feel it in my 4 banger daily driver, but never in the tundra.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow, nice find. I didn't think the torqey v8's would be affected by this. I feel it in my 4 banger daily driver, but never in the tundra.
My long sold '99 M3 experienced something similar, but definitely nowhere near the "getting tapped from behind" feeling. I would also feel it sometimes while driving down the road, but with the Tundra its only when stopped.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
My last truck was a Chevy 2500 with a 454. It didn't feel like a bump from behind, but you knew for sure when the A/C compressor kicked on.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "thunk" and the lunge from the A/C are two totally different issues. All you gotta do is hold the brake harder and the truck won't lunge forward when the A/C compressor kicks on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts