Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys
i have a 07 XLE Camry and recently i have been nothing but noise nuisance to my neighbors, my car parked in garage or driveway will just go off, its like someone hit my panic button on key fob, at first i thought i was getting pushed in my pocket, had car alarm go off with key sitting on my table, then i questioned whether my key fob batter was dieing so i changed batteries on key fob and still will go off, just yesterday driving thru town my info center display tells me my hood is open, i hit the brakes right away and go check it out, hood is well secured and i had to pull latch, open hood and slam it down , drove for a couple miles and same thing again, car tells me hood is open, i stopped again and check it out, all seems fine but car is still telling me hood is open. I called the local Toyota dealer and have a check up set up for Tuesday.
So i am wondering if the hood sensor has gone south on me and if that is the reason why car alarm is going off all the time.
Today i drove around and car tells me randomly that hood is open and then goes back to normal then tells me again.
Sorry about long story but wondered if anyone had same issue before and what was remedy, after my visit to dealer will post what they said.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I am experiencing the exact same problems as you and I have an appointment tomorrow to get it seen about. Have you taken you car in and gotten any results with it? If so, could you please let me know what they found so I have a heads up. Thanks.:ts:

Hello Guys
i have a 07 XLE Camry and recently i have been nothing but noise nuisance to my neighbors, my car parked in garage or driveway will just go off, its like someone hit my panic button on key fob, at first i thought i was getting pushed in my pocket, had car alarm go off with key sitting on my table, then i questioned whether my key fob batter was dieing so i changed batteries on key fob and still will go off, just yesterday driving thru town my info center display tells me my hood is open, i hit the brakes right away and go check it out, hood is well secured and i had to pull latch, open hood and slam it down , drove for a couple miles and same thing again, car tells me hood is open, i stopped again and check it out, all seems fine but car is still telling me hood is open. I called the local Toyota dealer and have a check up set up for Tuesday.
So i am wondering if the hood sensor has gone south on me and if that is the reason why car alarm is going off all the time.
Today i drove around and car tells me randomly that hood is open and then goes back to normal then tells me again.
Sorry about long story but wondered if anyone had same issue before and what was remedy, after my visit to dealer will post what they said.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello.
I took car in and they said they were going to replace the latch, had to order part for another week and had latch and sensor replaced. life's been good since then. no more "hood is open" alarm or most importantly no more horn alarm going off in middle of night or day anymore
Hope this helps
The guy at the shop told us that someone also came in with the same problem just a couple of days before me, so he used my car to digg in deeper and find out what's up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy to report that after latch and sensor replacement all under MFG warranty alarm issue is in the past. no more waking up neighbor in the middle of the night with those loud horns going off for no reason.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
This did help. They replaced the latch and sensor all under the MFG warranty and all is quiet now. Thank God! No more disturbing the neighbors. Thank you. :happy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine started doing this about 4-5 months ago. That along with the chirps when you lock it became random, sometimes they would work and sometimes they wouldn't. I've had the car in the dealership about twice now and they cannot find anything wrong. The alarm going off is extremely random. Sometimes it goes off in the middle of the night and other times it happens in the middle of the day. The service manager at my dealership seems to want to blame some interference from wireless signals, but I don't think so because the alarm has went off when my wife was 30 miles from home at a restaurant. It actually isn't an alarm, but more like the panic mode from the remote, but the remote lays on the counter untouched when it happens. I dunno, but I can't help but think it may be a shorted wire or something mechanical. Anyhow, the service manager is going to take the car home a few days and see if it will happen to him. He really wants to replicate the event. I dunno what to do though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,
Sorry its been awhile since i came to the site, but here is my resolution, they took the car in at the service center and just replaced the hood latch and the sensor there too, and i have not had a single instance of the alarm (panic) go off on me.
I believe the reason why they did mine was because someone came in before me and had the same issue.
See if you your car alerts you while driving that :hood is open" i kept getting that alert on my information center.
Hope you can convince the service Manager to get that replaced, i think not necessary for him to take your car home to duplicate issue, should park it there for a day and hope it goes off on them at the shop.....Good luck man!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey sparky, no, I haven't seen the hood latch problem and my wife hasn't said anything. Well, after a harrowing weekend of random alarms, I called my dealership last Monday morning, they agreed to take it for the week and sure enough on Thursday morning the service tech called and said that it went off on him at 5 a.m. while he had it at his house. They apparently research the issue and replcaed the afforementioned sensor. So my wife goes and picks it up today (Saturday) and within two hours it is going off again, of course she is at work and I was in bed so neither of us could call the dealership. She gets home at 7:30 p.m. and it goes off twice again by 10 p.m. tonight. I had her call the service tech through his direct line and leave a voice message everytime it goes off so that he has an acurate record of the time and dates it goes off. I just dunno what I'm gonna do with this thing. I actually loved that car, but if this alarm problem can't be fixed, I may just take the thing back and see if they'll at least pay my note on it so I can get something else, most likely off their lot. I do think they are trying everything they can, but I have feeling that there is a very small little wire buried inside that thing that has a short which they cannot find. But, that is just my amatuer notion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty strange and sure frustrating i bet for you, going to bed and hopping car don't go off and piss off the whole neighborhood... i thing its a sensor issue, might not be the hood latch but i think another one (trunk latch, door sensors) i will hope the will locate all the sensors in the car and check them out, also run a continuity test on most wires they can find and hope not one of them is somewhat loose. At least its good that the tech was able to duplicate the issue and since you are still within your warranty something has to be done on their end. They should give you a nice loaner car while they take their time and fix the issue.
I wish you good luck and hope you gt a resolution to your liking pretty soon.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2007 Camry XLE - Experienced this problem about a year ago and the dealer replace the hood latch and the sensor. Well, now that the car is out of waranty (little more than 30 days) the gremlins are back. Will be going back to the dealer to see what they say about it.

The dealer did let me know last time, (of course after I kept the neighbors up all night) that if I locked the doors without using the remote control, it would stop the alarm from going off. Do not know why, but it seems to work. I have been going out and locking the car using the button on the door after the alarm goes off and it seems to appease the alarm gods until the next time that I lock the car with the remote.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chicago, if you are locking the door from the door button you are not activating the alarm system thus the reason the alarm isn't going off. I have a 2000 Tundra that developed this panic alarm issue about 6 months ago. It only seems to go off around 3:00 pm 2-3 days a week. I think it may be heat related since it wasn't an issue during colder months. I'm going to have it checked at my 150K mile maintenance check. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
True, it did turn off the alarm, but not having my neighbors come after me with pitch forks and torches was worth it.

Took the car to Toyota and they replaced the hood latch again. This time, it was not under the manufacturer's warrantee, but I did have an extended maintenance agreement that covered most of the cost ($50.00 deductible).

The Service Rep knew what the problem was as soon as I told him about the Hood Open light going on without the hood being open. No official recall yet, but who knows if enough people have the problem, maybe they will recall the bad parts.

Sop far, 4 days and no recurrance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Guys
Thanks
Hey, I know your issue was awhile ago, but this month I am experienceing the same problem, i.e. "hood is open", "alarm is randomly going off by itself." I have an 08 xle, do you think that this could be the same issue? If so, how much to replace the hood switch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that was a awhile ago, but i was able to get it repaired under warranty so i never got to see a bill, they did change the hood latch and that fixed the problem.
Sorry couldn't help out with the price.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are experiancing the same issue, the alarm sounding, without any KNOWN cause.
We will attemp locking with the key and or button.
My wife did mention that she saw the hood/bonnet indicaor light on at one time or another.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts